At this point, I know I won't pass the CBX Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
xonimi

New

At this point, I know I won't pass the CBX

Post by xonimi » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 am

There's just too much I don't know. I know we aren't supposed to know everything but I really think what I know isn't enough. And then there's the whole memorization issue. I don't understand how people memorize everything in the last two weeks because I haven't been able to memorize much.
At least I get a good head start for February...

goldenflash19

Silver

Re: At this point, I know I won't pass the CBX

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:40 am

You’ve got four days left. You can do this. Focus on what you can control.

Focus on the MBE, PT, and PR. These account for roughly 70% of your score. Plan to spend 1:50 on the PT, if not 2 whole hours. No prep needed, and each point is worth 2 essay points. Know how to format every possible prompt. Learn PR back and forth.

If you perform well on these three sections, you have a solid chance at passing even with less than stellar scores on the other 4 essays.

For the morning session, look through the three essays and attack the one you feel most comfortable with. Don’t be afraid to spend more than hour on this essay. Attack the other 2 in order.

nthp

New

Post by nthp » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 am

I hear you about the panic. And who knows whether any of us will pass or not until we find out, but yes, do try to relax. Just try to work on your weak spots while working on your general knowledge as well. You've got this.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:39 am

Naturally, I have no idea how much you have prepped, how you have prepped and what tools you have used - but the feeling of being overwhelmed never goes away. For every 1 thing you know, you can likely look at an outline and say "I don't really know these other 2 (or more) topics!"

I think you will be surprised on just how much you do know, even if it isn't perfectly memorized (you can paraphrase and generally outline the rule/concept) which will be fine in many cases. The PTs require, literally, no real knowledge, just the ability to work under time constraints and have a clue how to write certain types of documents. The MBE is what it is (and where I advise friends and mentees to spend their time as it is the only thing you KNOW will be there, 200 questions over 7 defined subjects).

No one, even the highest scoring people "know everything" some of it is "test-luck" with what essay topics are used (a person who crushes one bar may only skate by on another with different essays for example).

You still have time to work through things and make things fresh in your mind. Don't like the perfect be the enemy of the good - wrote memorization is far less important than understanding concepts and then applying.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:34 am

xonimi wrote:[...] I don't understand how people memorize everything in the last two weeks because I haven't been able to memorize much.
At least I get a good head start for February...
Me neither. I took Barbri the first time and I trusted them. That was a mistake but I learned that actually some people pass that way. Weird. I definitely wasn't one of them. The next few attempts I made sure to memorize since the beginning and then repeat over and over. Improved my score a lot. Barbri's method is hit or miss. In California it's probably hit, or miss, or probably miss, or reasonably miss, or definitely miss.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:41 am

I'll make two comments:

First, there is nothing wrong with failing and taking it again in February. Many of us who post here (including myself) had to go through it. It sucked, but it wasn't the worst and, with enough perseverance, we got through it. So will you.

Second, and this is not directly aimed at you, but many on these boards have the impression that the bar can be like some undergrad final whereby if you study really really hard you can ace it.

Not so.

Sure, some do (even without a lot of prep). I've known them (and am marrying one soon, actually). However, the point isn't to go in there and destroy the exam. Think of it this way. You've been an attorney for 3 years. You've written motions, attended hearings, discovery etc. Now, you're reading bar exam papers. What do you want to see? Sure, spotting issues and reciting rules is important, but even if they are off you really want to see critical thinking and lawerly writing.

So do your best these next few days to stay relaxed, try to absorb information and go in there ready to think about what you're writing. And push come to shove, taking it again in February is not a bad outcome, all things considered.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”