NY Bar Takers - Albany Test Centers Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ubebarstudying

Bronze

NY Bar Takers - Albany Test Centers

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:41 pm

If anyone has questions regarding albany test centers, feel free to post. I am well acquainted with the city/worked in state government for some time, and both locations are near where I worked.

M_Law

New

Re: NY Bar Takers - Albany Test Centers

Post by M_Law » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:49 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:If anyone has questions regarding albany test centers, feel free to post. I am well acquainted with the city/worked in state government for some time, and both locations are near where I worked.
Any remarks on Empire State Plaza Convention Hall, as far as logistics go. Thanks.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:53 pm

What are some quick sandwich/salad lunch places (a la Panera, Subway, Au Bon Pain) around the test centers? I am more concerned with convenience and speed than quality.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:56 pm

M_Law wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:If anyone has questions regarding albany test centers, feel free to post. I am well acquainted with the city/worked in state government for some time, and both locations are near where I worked.
Any remarks on Empire State Plaza Convention Hall, as far as logistics go. Thanks.
What do you mean as far as logistics...arrival? Transportation? Setup? Food?

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:08 pm

RareExports wrote:What are some quick sandwich/salad lunch places (a la Panera, Subway, Au Bon Pain) around the test centers? I am more concerned with convenience and speed than quality.

If you are at the times union center there are a dunking donuts and Starbucks around the corner, and there should be a bodega type place maybe a block over. There is also a place called sandwiches to go which will probably seem packed but they generally move fast and I believe a number of people went there and were able to eat their lunch within the break time. If you are at the convention center, when you leave the test area and are walking the "concourse," there are a couple of food stands with coffee and snack type things, there is a McDonalds, and there are two cafeterias that make quite an assortment of food, which is where a lot of state workers go. If you want to go to the Capitol, which is on one end, they have a smaller cafe type place that makes excellent sandwiches, or since it is July, you can go outside from the Capitol and there are food trucks and usually at least one Italian ice stand open. They are great but I will say that is a riskier option just because you would need to re-enter the Capitol and go through metal detectors etc., and session is over so it theoretically should not be packed but that's the risk associated with the trucks. They have great food though.
There is a subway but it was moved to another building in my last year there and I did not work in the building it was moved to, so I can't say for sure how close it is to the test center, but I can find out with a text or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

M_Law

New

Post by M_Law » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:
M_Law wrote:
Sorry, with respect to arrival and setup mainly.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:15 am

M_Law wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
M_Law wrote:
Arrival on the first day looks early on your ticket, but I would actually recommend going earlier if you have things you wish to put in the personal belongings room...the majority of people get there earlier on the first day, though I also believe that can be due to laptop setup. Speaking of, there are more outlets than they will have laptops, so no need to be concerned about that - if any laptop concerns exist, I would have them over the examplify software, definitely nothing about the location.

bcohen226

New

Post by bcohen226 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:36 am

I am just going to order from Custom Gourmet. With >1000 people taking the exam at each of these venues, I don't want to deal with the mad rush to any of these nearby spots.

M_Law

New

Post by M_Law » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:46 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:
M_Law wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
M_Law wrote:
Arrival on the first day looks early on your ticket, but I would actually recommend going earlier if you have things you wish to put in the personal belongings room...the majority of people get there earlier on the first day, though I also believe that can be due to laptop setup. Speaking of, there are more outlets than they will have laptops, so no need to be concerned about that - if any laptop concerns exist, I would have them over the examplify software, definitely nothing about the location.
Thanks. How safe would you say the personal belongings room is? I wanted to bring a Backpack carrying my laptop, and store various things like wallet, keys, phone, and some extra stuff. I'm aware that you can't bring your wallet or phone inside the testing room, but is it okay to put it in your backpack being stored in room, despite them emphasizing store at your "OWN RISK."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:40 pm

bcohen226 wrote:I am just going to order from Custom Gourmet. With >1000 people taking the exam at each of these venues, I don't want to deal with the mad rush to any of these nearby spots.

Well. I do not want to dissuade you. But at the same time I will say you may have a line anyway due to the number of people that select that option; there was one when I took it anyway, but maybe they have gotten a bit more organized. Also just to warn you...those are a bit pricey for what you get. I remember people not being satisfied with the food but again, that could have changed.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:56 pm

M_Law wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
M_Law wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
M_Law wrote:
Thanks. How safe would you say the personal belongings room is? I wanted to bring a Backpack carrying my laptop, and store various things like wallet, keys, phone, and some extra stuff. I'm aware that you can't bring your wallet or phone inside the testing room, but is it okay to put it in your backpack being stored in room, despite them emphasizing store at your "OWN RISK."
They emphasize that in my opinion just because...well, it is the bar exam. Limiting liability is what a lot of people in the field do. That said, I did not lose any items or hear of any items going missing. I am puzzled by this new nonsense about non digital watches and wallets being prohibited and i dont know why they disallow them, but you are allowed to hang onto your keys in your plastic bag, for what that's worth. To my recollection, there was someone present by the personal belongings room during the exam (presumably to keep random people out) so I do think your belongings should be secure. Plus think about it - I mean, I dont know how an examinee could sit for the bar and then attempt to take something or go through someone else's stuff. That just feels like an insta- character and fitness problem. "Um, yeah you were caught trying to steal items during the bar exam. Please...explain?" So I mean I brought a bag and windbreaker or something because it was raining on my day 1, and if something was stolen or missing (I promise there wasn't) - whatever was "taken" clearly had no value because I didn't notice it :D

Also random but important recommendation: on day 2, bring a lot of pencils. I don't care if you think it looks ridiculous, you probably will be happy at days end, because there are - or were - only a few (actually, I want to say 2) pencil sharpeners at the center so you may have a line if you only bring a few. Some people did manage to slip in and get away with a small pencil sharpener but they are technically prohibited so I just brought a ton of sharpened pencils.

fa1493

New

Post by fa1493 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 am

Anyone have an idea about the clock situation? Are there digital clocks that we will be easily able to see? Or do I have to set alarms on examplify

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”