Emanuel prior to Barbri? Working full-time Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Axel203

New

Emanuel prior to Barbri? Working full-time

Post by Axel203 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:25 am

Good afternoon all. I will be testing in Feb 2019. I work full-time, normally 50-60 hour weeks (including nights/weekends often). I am in the process of gathering my materials and this forum has been very helpful. I am signed up/paid for Barbri and have recently purchased Emanuel S&T 6th. For the months leading up to February, I will likely only be able to study 2 hours per day (maybe 4 on weekends) and I am hoping to be approved for vacation time for the full month prior to the exam. My question is, since I will be studying part time, would it be helpful if I made my way through the Emanuel book prior to beginning Barbri? My gut is that it will give me a more holistic understanding of the MBE subjects and thus might allow me to personalize how I attack Barbri when that time comes, as the consensus on this board seems to be that most people divert from the Barbri prescribed course of study anyway. I know its early, I'm just trying to develop a road map and gather the best materials because I do not have a lot of free time and I need to be as efficient as possible.

maiden42

New

Re: Emanuel prior to Barbri? Working full-time

Post by maiden42 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

It will be good to use Emmanuel early, however, depending on your grasp of Black Letter Law some of the questions may be very difficult. Emmanuel explains some of the BLL, but not even close to all.

If you don't want to dive into BarBari full stop, I think Critical Pass Flashcards + Emmanuel = a great head start.

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:43 pm

I would work on getting your knowledge of the law down cold.

I think if people knew the law inside and out that they could probably get at least 70-75% even if they were as dumb as a rock.

Emmanuels will help you see how the legal concepts are tested.

But overall, I don't think one more source is going to make that big of a difference.

The general goal will be to learn the law and then get used to how its tested.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:52 pm

I have finished about 88% of Themis. Started Critical pass cards last week, did about half the Emanuel book, did the MBE guide by JD advising, and did around 580 questions on adapti bar.

To be honest, in my humble opinion the bar course is not needed. The first month I learned nothing. If someone started reviewing CP flash cards day one while doing 50 MBE questions daily on the topic you went over with critical pass, then the last month you do mixed sets, I think you would be better off than following the bar course. So much "Fluff" in the courses.

Then I would print out all the past essays (Ohio has every essay over past like 15 years) on the supreme court website and go over them in excruciating detail.

I really think the above method is better than the "osmosis" learning the bar course uses.

Just me tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”