Adaptibar vs. MBE Exam Day Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
eatsleepmbe

New

Adaptibar vs. MBE Exam Day

Post by eatsleepmbe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:43 pm

To: July 2017 and February 2018 Past test takers!

Are the MBE questions similar to the adaptbiar questions? or have the examiners changed the style of questioning?
1. How do they differ in form and length, if at all?
2. How do they differ in terms of difficulty and whether or not they’re trying to trick you
3. How do they differ in topics and subtopics tested—do they test similar subtopics and issues or are some of the subtopics being tested out in left field that you never saw before or did you see those subtopics being tested in adaptibar

Thank you in advance!

b290

Bronze

Re: Adaptibar vs. MBE Exam Day

Post by b290 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:30 pm

eatsleepmbe wrote:To: July 2017 and February 2018 Past test takers!

Are the MBE questions similar to the adaptbiar questions? or have the examiners changed the style of questioning?
2. How do they differ in terms of difficulty and whether or not they’re trying to trick you
3. How do they differ in topics and subtopics tested—do they test similar subtopics and issues or are some of the subtopics being tested out in left field that you never saw before or did you see those subtopics being tested in adaptibar

Thank you in advance!
Due to the increased number of test questions (25 versus 10), and just natural NCBE question evolution, you're going to see significant number of questions (like around 40 - 50) that are either way out there or largely different. Those questions are also peppered all over the exam, so by the time you're done, you'll have a "WTF" feeling as you leave. There's no avoiding that.

However, I did find Adaptibar questions were similar in all respects, to the real MBE (except Civ Pro, as there are no released questions for that subject). I also did well on the MBE, but that's because of my using Adaptibar's other resources - charts, timing, etc, and just reading answers. I don't know how many questions you've done, but the more you do, the more accurate your Adaptibar percentage would be. My percentage was around 62% (stupid mistakes prevented it from being higher), which was enough to pass. I also had almost done every question,

My $.02

maiden42

New

Post by maiden42 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:08 pm

(except Civ Pro, as there are no released questions for that subject)
There are now 30 released Civ Pro questions as of end of 2017.
The MBE Study Aid contains 210 questions drawn from previous MBEs, with 30 questions for each of the seven MBE subject areas.
http://store.ncbex.org/mbe-study-aid/

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:15 pm

b290 wrote:

Thank you in advance!
Due to the increased number of test questions (25 versus 10), and just natural NCBE question evolution, you're going to see significant number of questions (like around 40 - 50) that are either way out there or largely different. Those questions are also peppered all over the exam, so by the time you're done, you'll have a "WTF" feeling as you leave. There's no avoiding that.

However, I did find Adaptibar questions were similar in all respects, to the real MBE (except Civ Pro, as there are no released questions for that subject). I also did well on the MBE, but that's because of my using Adaptibar's other resources - charts, timing, etc, and just reading answers. I don't know how many questions you've done, but the more you do, the more accurate your Adaptibar percentage would be. My percentage was around 62% (stupid mistakes prevented it from being higher), which was enough to pass. I also had almost done every question,

My $.02
Adaptibar's "simulated" civ pro questions are atrocious. Also, their explanations to questions are sub-par.

With that said, adaptibar is an amazing resource. If adaptibar gets their shit together, they can def give themis/barbri a run for their money.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:34 am

estefanchanning wrote:
Adaptibar's "simulated" civ pro questions are atrocious. Also, their explanations to questions are sub-par.
That's true. Then again, going through most simulated Civ Pro questions was torture, regardless of source.
maiden42 wrote:
(except Civ Pro, as there are no released questions for that subject)
There are now 30 released Civ Pro questions as of end of 2017.
The MBE Study Aid contains 210 questions drawn from previous MBEs, with 30 questions for each of the seven MBE subject areas.
http://store.ncbex.org/mbe-study-aid/
It's about time. The NCBE's probably had to address- that Civ Pro's been the worst performing subject...since it was included.

This is why I'm glad to be done with the bar exam. Good luck to all :)

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:02 am

Thank you in advance!
New questions are shorter (and easier to understand, less ambiguous language) but trickier. You are less likely to find in the right answer choice the full rule of the law as a motivation to the answer. Regarding the topics, I feel like Real Property is a whole different beast (lots of mortgages, no devisable intersts in land) but overall every subject looks and feels very different from Adaptibar's questions with the exception of the last 210 questions just released by the NCBE (which Adaptibar just added).

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 am

estefanchanning wrote:Adaptibar's "simulated" civ pro questions are atrocious. Also, their explanations to questions are sub-par.

With that said, adaptibar is an amazing resource. If adaptibar gets their shit together, they can def give themis/barbri a run for their money.
+1. Good resource but they really need to improve their explanations. Sometimes it's like the explanation isn't even there. Just conclusory statements giving no reason for the right/wrong answer choice.

maiden42

New

Post by maiden42 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Glad to hear complaints about 1) Adaptibar's Civ Pro Questions and 2) Adaptibar sub-par answer explanations.

I thought I was:
a) just stupid
b) just plain stupid
c) losing my mind
d) a citation to an FRCP I've never heard of

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:37 pm

maiden42 wrote:Glad to hear complaints about 1) Adaptibar's Civ Pro Questions and 2) Adaptibar sub-par answer explanations.

I thought I was:
a) just stupid
b) just plain stupid
c) losing my mind
One of their simulated questions was based on the FRAP (Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure) :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 am

estefanchanning wrote:
maiden42 wrote:Glad to hear complaints about 1) Adaptibar's Civ Pro Questions and 2) Adaptibar sub-par answer explanations.

I thought I was:
a) just stupid
b) just plain stupid
c) losing my mind
One of their simulated questions was based on the FRAP (Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure) :roll:
lol, that made me smile.

Anyway, it would still be fine getting weird rules from the FRCP or even FRAP, but the problem is that they almost never give the reason for their answer. You get something like "b) is incorrect because it's not like that. See rule FRCP xxx" and then you go look it up and it's a super general rule that doesn't really help. I would absolutely love to know who wrote those terrible explanations. Probably same guy who wrote the civ pro questions ahahah.

Allux

New

Post by Allux » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:38 am

i'm getting around 72~80 on adaptibar right now with around 1300 questions done. For pass users, do you think the score on adaptibar is representative?? Many questions in adaptibar are repetitive...

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:

I thought I was:
a) just stupid
b) just plain stupid
c) losing my mind
lol, that made me smile.

Anyway, it would still be fine getting weird rules from the FRCP or even FRAP, but the problem is that they almost never give the reason for their answer. You get something like "b) is incorrect because it's not like that. See rule FRCP xxx" and then you go look it up and it's a super general rule that doesn't really help. I would absolutely love to know who wrote those terrible explanations. Probably same guy who wrote the civ pro questions ahahah.
Just got this questions, which explains perfectly what I said above.

The explanation of (C) is literally a repetition of the answer choice.

The explanation of (D) remands to § 2-314 1292(a)(1) which doesn't help at all.
§ 2-314 1292(a)(1) (from law.cornell.edu) wrote: (a) Except as provided in subsections (c) and (d) of this section, the courts of appeals shall have jurisdiction of appeals from:
(1) Interlocutory orders of the district courts of the United States, the United States District Court for the District of the Canal Zone, the District Court of Guam, and the District Court of the Virgin Islands, or of the judges thereof, granting, continuing, modifying, refusing or dissolving injunctions, or refusing to dissolve or modify injunctions, except where a direct review may be had in the Supreme Court;
Was it so hard to say "(C) is correct because a denial of summary judgment is not a final judgment on the merits, requirement needed for an appeal" and "(D) is wrong because the only statutory exceptions that allow an appeal for injunctions are the ones that allow to appean an injunction that was granted, not denied"?

Instead I had to take 10-15 minutes to look the shit up, which clearly is not feasible for every damn question I get wrong.

Adaptibar is an excellent resource but please, if you are reading, get your shit together or you'll be eaten by the competition really soon. I doubt there isn't anyone else out there ready to replace your website with an identical one with better explanations.

TxStrong

New

Post by TxStrong » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Is it normal to plateau on Adaptibar? My average is 72% for 1200+ questions. My first set was 69%, second set 74%, third set 72%, and current set is right at 72%. Kind aggravating that my last two sets are lower than my second set. Also, should I be concerned I'm not "gaining" any ground? TIA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marjan17

New

Post by Marjan17 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:01 am

TxStrong wrote:Is it normal to plateau on Adaptibar? My average is 72% for 1200+ questions. My first set was 69%, second set 74%, third set 72%, and current set is right at 72%. Kind aggravating that my last two sets are lower than my second set. Also, should I be concerned I'm not "gaining" any ground? TIA.
Can I ask what you mean by each "set"?

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 am

Marjan17 wrote:
TxStrong wrote:Is it normal to plateau on Adaptibar? My average is 72% for 1200+ questions. My first set was 69%, second set 74%, third set 72%, and current set is right at 72%. Kind aggravating that my last two sets are lower than my second set. Also, should I be concerned I'm not "gaining" any ground? TIA.
Can I ask what you mean by each "set"?
on the website you can see your performance by every 350 questions answered

eatsleepmbe

New

Post by eatsleepmbe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 am

If any can comment regarding these questions that would be great! Thank you! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”