Start memorizing with Critical Pass last two weeks? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawworld19

Bronze

Start memorizing with Critical Pass last two weeks?

Post by Lawworld19 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:35 am

I work full time at a billable firm job up until 2 weeks before the bar. Luckily I started early and am 70% done with Themis. So hitting 80-90% completion will be no problem. Although this is true, I have not memorized yet. My goal is to bank on memorizing the two weeks I have off with critical pass. I just ordered them. When i get MBE questions wrong it is usually because I just don't knwo the law well enough. I score in the 40's to sometimes into the 80's on Themis depending on subject. How risky is it to hit memorization for approx.. 80 hours per week the last two weeks?

Thanks

cadreamer

New

Re: Start memorizing with Critical Pass last two weeks?

Post by cadreamer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:06 pm

assuming this is not bar panic flame, you're in more than good shape....

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:40 pm

It definitely depends. If right now, without memorizing, you are actually grasping some of the rules and doing well on your practice essays/questions you will be fine. If, on the other hand, you are one of those that unless you memorize first your essays/questions are almost totally wrong (like me), you need to start memorizing as soon as you can.

Memorizing in the last 2 weeks is Barbri's method and some swear by it. Some get a 1100 scaled score on the bar exam which wouldn't be enough even in Wisconsin.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:55 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:It definitely depends. If right now, without memorizing, you are actually grasping some of the rules and doing well on your practice essays/questions you will be fine. If, on the other hand, you are one of those that unless you memorize first your essays/questions are almost totally wrong (like me), you need to start memorizing as soon as you can.

Memorizing in the last 2 weeks is Barbri's method and some swear by it. Some get a 1100 scaled score on the bar exam which wouldn't be enough even in Wisconsin.

I understand. On MBE I just hit on Themis a 64% on a 100 question test, so lets say around a 125-130 raw.

Essays I just don't know enough black letter.

I havent really nailed down Future estates or RAP. I dont get it.

My issue is my knowledge is not even. I kill torts on MBE sometimes 80% plus. Consistently above 75%. Other subjects I hit 40's-50s.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:53 pm

What is stopping you from starting memorization now on the topics you know you're weak in?

If it's a time issue (you literally don't have the time) then sure. But there's nothing strategic that should keep you from starting to memorize now on subjects you know you're weak in. Flashcards don't take that much time and they're MUCH less miserable when you are not stressed, in a rush, etc.

It's also just legitimately difficult and possibly impossible to do 80 hours a week of pure memorization work. If you've never done that before, then it does seem risky to me to rely on your ability to do that much memorization.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Also, it seems kinda silly to me to do a bunch of practice MEE essays instead of crucial memorization work. To some extent, once you "get" the way to write essays, and if you know the rule, they're fairly easy strategy-wise.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:It definitely depends. If right now, without memorizing, you are actually grasping some of the rules and doing well on your practice essays/questions you will be fine. If, on the other hand, you are one of those that unless you memorize first your essays/questions are almost totally wrong (like me), you need to start memorizing as soon as you can.

I understand. On MBE I just hit on Themis a 64% on a 100 question test, so lets say around a 125-130 raw.

Essays I just don't know enough black letter.

I havent really nailed down Future estates or RAP. I dont get it.

My issue is my knowledge is not even. I kill torts on MBE sometimes 80% plus. Consistently above 75%. Other subjects I hit 40's-50s.
Those are pretty good numbers without having memorized anything. However, I would memorize instead of wasting time with essays as it seems like they are not much use to you. Start with weak subjects.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Also, future interests are best understood by blunt memorization. They're not like contracts or torts, where stuff kinda makes sense, it's just another language that you have to memorize.

Good luck and don't be too discouraged.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”