How mandatory is the admission ceremony for NY 3rd department? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nekrowizard

Bronze

How mandatory is the admission ceremony for NY 3rd department?

Post by Nekrowizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:22 am

So I just did the interview and got the admission package and all that with the certificate of good standing etc. post-dated to the 27th. Seems like this is all I really need.

Problem is, the ceremony is apparently MANDATORY and on Wednesday so I have to stick around Albany for like 2 days. But it seems to me that once I have the certificate I don’t need anything else. Do they take roll call at the ceremony? Do you sign in?

In essence, will anything happen if I can’t go? I have a ton of work and I’m not in NYC. Any help much appreciated.

b290

Bronze

Re: How mandatory is the admission ceremony for NY 3rd department?

Post by b290 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Nekrowizard wrote:So I just did the interview and got the admission package and all that with the certificate of good standing etc. post-dated to the 27th. Seems like this is all I really need.

Problem is, the ceremony is apparently MANDATORY and on Wednesday so I have to stick around Albany for like 2 days. But it seems to me that once I have the certificate I don’t need anything else. Do they take roll call at the ceremony? Do you sign in?

In essence, will anything happen if I can’t go? I have a ton of work and I’m not in NYC. Any help much appreciated.
Super mandatory because you get sworn in at the ceremony. You're an officer of the court, and all officers, in every field, are sworn in. No swear in = you literally have no authority to appear in front of a judge as an attorney. Also, considering how ridiculous the BOLE can be, you'd better believe they'll take attendance. If you're already sworn in, then there's no point to going. But as NY doesn't allow for alternate swearing in ceremonies (that I know of), you have no choice. It sucks but a swear-in should be the least of your worries. I mean you've gotten this far :lol:

Congrats and Well done Counselor :D

My $.02

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Re: How mandatory is the admission ceremony for NY 3rd department?

Post by Nekrowizard » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:20 am

For the curious, they in fact don’t take attendance at the ceremony in case anybody in the future wants to avoid wasting their life in Albany.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”