Transferring MBE score to UBE jurisdiction Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
craggydoggy

New

Transferring MBE score to UBE jurisdiction

Post by craggydoggy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Hello all,

I'm taking the July bar exam in a UBE jx that requires a total score of 260. I took the bar exam before in a non UBE jx, so only my MBE score transfers. My transferring MBE score is 167. Does that mean I only need to score a combined 93 on the MPT/MEE to pass? Or is there a minimum threshold I must meet? Because I'm pretty sure a 93 on essays/MPT is in like the 0.5%ile. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find anything online.

PoliLaw

New

Re: Transferring MBE score to UBE jurisdiction

Post by PoliLaw » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 am

You will be assigned the minimum passing MBE score for the UBE jurisdiction, so your 167 will become whatever the minimum MBE score is for that JX. You will then need to get the minimum passing score on the MPT/MEE for the new JX to pass the exam overalll. For example if you took the exam in DC you would need to get a 133 on the written portion to pass overall.

craggydoggy

New

Post by craggydoggy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:26 pm

PoliLaw wrote:You will be assigned the minimum passing MBE score for the UBE jurisdiction, so your 167 will become whatever the minimum MBE score is for that JX. You will then need to get the minimum passing score on the MPT/MEE for the new JX to pass the exam overalll. For example if you took the exam in DC you would need to get a 133 on the written portion to pass overall.
Is this universal/do you have a source for this? After some research, I found the following for the State where I'm taking the bar:

"(2) Transfer of MBE Score. An applicant who has taken and passed a bar
examination in another jurisdiction, who has been admitted to practice in that
jurisdiction, and who made an MBE scaled score 140 or above in that jurisdiction
may be excused from taking the MBE. The transferred MBE score will be valid
for a period of twenty-five (25) months after taking the MBE on which the
transferred score was received. The applicant's transferred MBE score will be
combined with the applicant's scaled scores on the MEE and the MPT portions of
the UBE according to the basic rule. Applicants who transfer an MBE score to
seek admission in [State] will not earn a transferable UBE score that can be
used to seek admission in other jurisdictions."

This makes it sound like my transferred MBE score will be added to whatever I score on the MEE/MPT, does it not? I can't tell if this means my MBE will be scaled down from a 167 to a 140, or if my 167 will remain intact. It sounds like the latter, but I need to be sure before I put off studying any longer.

Thanks.

Edit: This is what I found for DC. Are you sure what you said above is correct?:

"(B) An applicant may request the Committee to accept an MBE score from
a prior examination administration provided that:
(i) The prior MBE scaled score is not less than 133; and
(ii) The prior administration was within 25 months of the present
administration."

And elsewhere:

MBE score transfer: Applicants may request that the Committee accept an MBE score from a prior bar exam administration per Rule 46 (c)(8)(B), requiring a minimum
score of 133 on an examination administered within 25 months of the present exam. To
request a transfer, under the “Register for UBE” tab of the online application, applicants
must click “Submit Application,” then click the radio button requesting use of a prior MBE
score. Applicants must also request an official transfer of their MBE score to D.C.
Applicants must request the score transfer through the NCBE website, MBE Score Services
section, or the jurisdiction where they took the MBE. The address for the score transfer is
Committee on Admissions; MBE Score Transfer; 430 E Street, NW; Room 123;
Washington, D.C. 20001. Applicants are advised that a score from a prior exam does not
produce a portable UBE score."

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:34 pm

craggydoggy wrote:
PoliLaw wrote:You will be assigned the minimum passing MBE score for the UBE jurisdiction, so your 167 will become whatever the minimum MBE score is for that JX. You will then need to get the minimum passing score on the MPT/MEE for the new JX to pass the exam overalll. For example if you took the exam in DC you would need to get a 133 on the written portion to pass overall.
Is this universal/do you have a source for this? After some research, I found the following for the State where I'm taking the bar:

"(2) Transfer of MBE Score. An applicant who has taken and passed a bar
examination in another jurisdiction, who has been admitted to practice in that
jurisdiction, and who made an MBE scaled score 140 or above in that jurisdiction
may be excused from taking the MBE. The transferred MBE score will be valid
for a period of twenty-five (25) months after taking the MBE on which the
transferred score was received. The applicant's transferred MBE score will be
combined with the applicant's scaled scores on the MEE and the MPT portions of
the UBE according to the basic rule. Applicants who transfer an MBE score to
seek admission in [State] will not earn a transferable UBE score that can be
used to seek admission in other jurisdictions."

This makes it sound like my transferred MBE score will be added to whatever I score on the MEE/MPT, does it not? I can't tell if this means my MBE will be scaled down from a 167 to a 140, or if my 167 will remain intact. It sounds like the latter, but I need to be sure before I put off studying any longer.

Thanks.

Edit: This is what I found for DC. Are you sure what you said above is correct?:

"(B) An applicant may request the Committee to accept an MBE score from
a prior examination administration provided that:
(i) The prior MBE scaled score is not less than 133; and
(ii) The prior administration was within 25 months of the present
administration."

And elsewhere:

MBE score transfer: Applicants may request that the Committee accept an MBE score from a prior bar exam administration per Rule 46 (c)(8)(B), requiring a minimum
score of 133 on an examination administered within 25 months of the present exam. To
request a transfer, under the “Register for UBE” tab of the online application, applicants
must click “Submit Application,” then click the radio button requesting use of a prior MBE
score. Applicants must also request an official transfer of their MBE score to D.C.
Applicants must request the score transfer through the NCBE website, MBE Score Services
section, or the jurisdiction where they took the MBE. The address for the score transfer is
Committee on Admissions; MBE Score Transfer; 430 E Street, NW; Room 123;
Washington, D.C. 20001. Applicants are advised that a score from a prior exam does not
produce a portable UBE score."
Ask your JX directly via phone call or email, they will answer your questions thoroughly. Each jx has its own rules regarding transferring MBE or UBE score. There is no universal rule.

craggydoggy

New

Post by craggydoggy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 pm

I've inquired about it. Just trying to calm my anxiety while I wait to hear back. I don't even have books yet for the MPT/MEE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PoliLaw

New

Post by PoliLaw » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:03 pm

I am 100% percent sure. I am personally going through it right now in DC. If you have a 190 mbe and transfer it to DC you cant take the MPT MEE and get a 76 and be ok to be sworn in. You have to get a 133 to pass it on its own. FOR DC im absolutely positive because both myself and my mentor have done it. You can contact your jurisdiction but the reason im sure how it works because I am literally about to swear in DC via this process.

craggydoggy

New

Post by craggydoggy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:58 pm

PoliLaw wrote:I am 100% percent sure. I am personally going through it right now in DC. If you have a 190 mbe and transfer it to DC you cant take the MPT MEE and get a 76 and be ok to be sworn in. You have to get a 133 to pass it on its own. FOR DC im absolutely positive because both myself and my mentor have done it. You can contact your jurisdiction but the reason im sure how it works because I am literally about to swear in DC via this process.
It seems as though DC and Illinois have different rules. It looks like my jurisdiction will accept my scaled score. Phew.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:56 am

I'm late to this, but just wanted to add that AL won't "scale down" your score. It's pretty clear from the rules you've posted, which are the same as on the SCOAL's PDF:

http://judicial.alabama.gov/docs/librar ... mit6_B.pdf

As long as you've passed your bar exam in the previous state, and you're sworn in there, you can skip the MBE (with your UBE score only good for AL). Otherwise, you must take everything over (but your score is good elsewhere). Were you to skip, all you would need is 93 combined from both your MPT and your MEE.

Only Alabama's rules are relevant to your question. As maxmartin mentioned, calling the BBE would clarify any other questions you have.

My $.02

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 am

PoliLaw wrote:I am 100% percent sure. I am personally going through it right now in DC. If you have a 190 mbe and transfer it to DC you cant take the MPT MEE and get a 76 and be ok to be sworn in. You have to get a 133 to pass it on its own. FOR DC im absolutely positive because both myself and my mentor have done it. You can contact your jurisdiction but the reason im sure how it works because I am literally about to swear in DC via this process.
If you have a 133+ on MBE, you can waive into DC on that basis alone per Rule 46(e)(3)(B). You do not have to sit for the essay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”