Barbri Weekly Progress Percentile Rank Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
xonimi

New

Barbri Weekly Progress Percentile Rank

Post by xonimi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:56 am

Does anyone know how Barbri's percentile rank works? I'm getting a really high percentage but it doesn't seem accurate to me. The percent correct for a subject is much lower than the overall percentile rank for that subject and that just doesn't make sense. I don't see how I can be in a high percentile rank if I am not performing very well.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Re: Barbri Weekly Progress Percentile Rank

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 am

xonimi wrote:Does anyone know how Barbri's percentile rank works? I'm getting a really high percentage but it doesn't seem accurate to me. The percent correct for a subject is much lower than the overall percentile rank for that subject and that just doesn't make sense. I don't see how I can be in a high percentile rank if I am not performing very well.
I know bar study is stressful, but seriously?

Percent correct measures your number of correct responses divided by the total number of questions. 35/50 correct would be 70% correct.

Percentile measures how your percent correct score compares to the percent correct scores of others taking the same assessments. Your percentile doesn't mirror your raw score, it is calibrated to account for the performance of everyone else taking the same assessment.

To get a passing MBE score you only need to get around 60%-65% of the 175 graded questions correct. And you can still pass the bar in some jurisdictions scoring below that, so long as you do better on your essays.

xonimi

New

Post by xonimi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:53 am

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:
xonimi wrote:Does anyone know how Barbri's percentile rank works? I'm getting a really high percentage but it doesn't seem accurate to me. The percent correct for a subject is much lower than the overall percentile rank for that subject and that just doesn't make sense. I don't see how I can be in a high percentile rank if I am not performing very well.
I know bar study is stressful, but seriously?

Percent correct measures your number of correct responses divided by the total number of questions. 35/50 correct would be 70% correct.

Percentile measures how your percent correct score compares to the percent correct scores of others taking the same assessments. Your percentile doesn't mirror your raw score, it is calibrated to account for the performance of everyone else taking the same assessment.

To get a passing MBE score you only need to get around 60%-65% of the 175 graded questions correct. And you can still pass the bar in some jurisdictions scoring below that, so long as you do better on your essays.
Yes I know what they mean. I'm just not sure how valuable those numbers are. Barbri notes the importance of the percentile rank and that the goal is to be in the 30th or 40th percentile or higher in each subject and subtopic. I don't want to have some false sense of confidence.

rbfplacid

New

Post by rbfplacid » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 pm

I hear you. I'm getting percent correct for most subjects in the high 50s/low 60s that put me in the 80+ percentile. I got 62% right in Property and it said I'm in the 95.3% percentile. I have a hard time believing 62% right puts me there. I was far from that in law school!

barmagot

New

Post by barmagot » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:16 am

Same gripe here -- I am in the 95th percentile for three subjects, and the bottom 10 percent for two subjects.

I think the percentiles are really misleading because they are based off the weekly 8-20 question MBE mixed question sets; so, even if you did well on contracts during the week, if you get 1/3 of the contracts questions right on the mixed MBE set (which might have only 3 contracts questions), you are automatically going to be really far down in percentile.

I also have the worry of false security/not knowing where I truly am landing in each subject. I think the 200-question practice full-length MBE that is scheduled in a week or so will help a lot in that regard.

*On another note, does anyone else in Barbri feel like ''testing out'' is not very beneficial? I've tested out of the last 3 subject AMP's, but I feel like I'm not an expert at all; in fact, when I do an AMP (even though I tested out), I usually get 50-70%

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”