What if California became three states? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cram1

New

What if California became three states?

Post by cram1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 697054002/

I’m sure the chances of this happening are slim to none, but it’s food for thought.

Presumably there would become three state bars with three bar exams. But what about those who become lawyers before the split? Would they automatically become lawyers of all three new states? Or would each lawyer have to select one?

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Re: What if California became three states?

Post by Nightcrawler » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:57 am

Oh good, so maybe who's not in the SF area can adopt the UBE and get out of the CA Bar arrogant monopoly.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:43 am

The proposal is to have a "tri-lateral" California Bar association. Each of the three "new states" will have their own unique Civ Pro and Evidence rules. All examinees will be responsible to know all the unqiue differences on top of the Federal differences. :)

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:24 pm

cram1 wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 697054002/

I’m sure the chances of this happening are slim to none, but it’s food for thought.

Presumably there would become three state bars with three bar exams. But what about those who become lawyers before the split? Would they automatically become lawyers of all three new states? Or would each lawyer have to select one?
Senate would never willingly dilute their power by adding 4 more seats.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Don't waste your time worrying about this. There's no way the Three States Initiative is going to pass. And even if it did, I doubt Congress would consent to such split.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:03 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:The proposal is to have a "tri-lateral" California Bar association. Each of the three "new states" will have their own unique Civ Pro and Evidence rules. All examinees will be responsible to know all the unqiue differences on top of the Federal differences. :)
Sounds like a triple-penetration, that's for sure. :lol:

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 pm

This is maybe problem #543 on the list of logistical nightmares this stupid initiative would create, if I'm being generous.

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:45 pm

cram1 wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 697054002/

This is what happens when someone has too much time and money on his hands. I read this same VC spent $5 million of his own money the last time he tried to split the state (6 states instead of 3). I live in Bay Area, so I intend to vote no.

irishguy

New

Post by irishguy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 am

The Democratic Party would never win another presidency... :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”