Does Themis Grade harder than bar examiners? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawworld19

Bronze

Does Themis Grade harder than bar examiners?

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 pm

I know Barbri does apparently. Just scored a 3 on a graded essay, feel like I knew the law decently well (torts).

Anyone take themis where they were scoring poorly then do ok on the bar exam?

Splurgles23

New

Re: Does Themis Grade harder than bar examiners?

Post by Splurgles23 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:07 pm

Themis and Barbri both grades the essay portions much more harshly than the actual exam graders, who are lawyers drafted for the purpose temporarily and are not trying to nitpick when they have to grade the hundreds of the exams given to them. The essay portion is much easier than the multiple-choice, partly for that very reason.

juliejul

New

Post by juliejul » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:48 pm

In my experience, yes! I did all of the graded essays, gave them a good amount of effort, and didn't do great. I think I was typically around 50-60th percentile on my practice test percentiles, except on the MPT practice where I was a bit higher. I scored in the 98-99th percentile on essays on the actual bar (Feb '18 UBE).

barmagot

New

Post by barmagot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:26 am

Similar story with my Barbri prep so far.. I did really well on an essay (knew every answer, felt super confident, matched the model answer in all material ways), and I was graded a 65/100... Couldn't believe it. I considered asking Barbri for another rep to grade it, but never did.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 am

They do, from what I can tell. And the reason is because it really wouldn't be great for either you or for them if you score lowest when it counts. I do think that sometimes this approach of scoring so harshly can be detrimental but on balance it's probably the correct approach.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:40 pm

barmagot wrote:Similar story with my Barbri prep so far.. I did really well on an essay (knew every answer, felt super confident, matched the model answer in all material ways), and I was graded a 65/100... Couldn't believe it. I considered asking Barbri for another rep to grade it, but never did.
Are you in California? I ran into the same issue and found it far more helpful to compare my essays to the real ones that scored 65, 70, etc (you can see these on BarEssays.com) to see if the grading is correct. I don't trust the so-called course rep graders at all.

barmagot

New

Post by barmagot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:17 am

barjamie8 wrote:
barmagot wrote:Similar story with my Barbri prep so far.. I did really well on an essay (knew every answer, felt super confident, matched the model answer in all material ways), and I was graded a 65/100... Couldn't believe it. I considered asking Barbri for another rep to grade it, but never did.
Are you in California? I ran into the same issue and found it far more helpful to compare my essays to the real ones that scored 65, 70, etc (you can see these on BarEssays.com) to see if the grading is correct. I don't trust the so-called course rep graders at all.

I'm in NY; but how did your answer compare to BarEssays 65-70 answers? I'm curious

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”