Foreigners passing the bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
espressounius

New

Foreigners passing the bar

Post by espressounius » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi, I am mildly stressed about my lack of information about what happens to foreigners when and if they pass the bar.

I, myself am a foreigner, I have a JD, and will be taking the bar this July.

I have already done my 50 hours pro bono in the States, and I have an affidavit signed by my supervisor. It dates back to June 2016.

However, I had to leave U.S. in July 2017 due to the expiration of my visa. I have been working at my home country since - but at a non-legal job.

Not to get my self worried before I burn the bridge of passing the bar; but I am curious, how is the process when someone in my position applies for admission to the NY bar?

I have a temporary background in the U.S. on an F1 student visa. I have volunteered at legal clinics while at law school, I have worked when I had work authorization to work; but vast majority of my background has not been in the US; in fact it has not even been in one place; because I have constantly been on the move since graduating from high school. An academic gypsy, one might say. Before law school, I was in Canada doing my BsC. I also have employment history there. My original citizenship is Turkish.

Does anyone know how the C&F process and the ultimate admission is for foreign bar passers?

irishguy

New

Re: Foreigners passing the bar

Post by irishguy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:10 am

C&F is the same for all applicants. Unless there is something specific in your past that would affect C&F application of any bar passer, you will be fine. (Irish NY bar passer)

Neilt001

Re: Foreigners passing the bar

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:53 am

Yeah I'm not sure I understand what your concern is? If you pass the bar, then you can get admitted the to bar, assuming there are no skeletons in your closet. Getting a visa is a separate issue.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”