Average Adaptibar MBE Scores So far? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawworld19

Bronze

Average Adaptibar MBE Scores So far?

Post by Lawworld19 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:46 pm

What is everyone's overall average and how many have you completed so far?

rolltidelaw

New

Re: Average Adaptibar MBE Scores So far?

Post by rolltidelaw » Sat May 26, 2018 4:59 pm

70%

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat May 26, 2018 5:06 pm

It's ok if your averages are in the 40s of 50's if you are just starting out with under 350 questions completed.

Ideally you want to see increased percetage over time, which indicates you are learning how to answer the questions. You want to be at least 70%+ by bar exam time.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sat May 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Will echo that it's all about the week to week progress.

I finally passed the Feb '18 bar (6th try -- yikes lol), but MBE has always been a strength. When I first started using Adaptibar, I was probably scoring in the high 50%. I did 30 questions a day and really reviewed both wrong answers and answers for questions I was iffy on. Along with Emanuel S&T, I got better and better every week until I was scoring 85%+ the last month-ish leading to the exam.

It's all about having a specific approach, sticking with it, and thinking positive!

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:23 pm

justanotheruser wrote:Will echo that it's all about the week to week progress.

I finally passed the Feb '18 bar (6th try -- yikes lol), but MBE has always been a strength. When I first started using Adaptibar, I was probably scoring in the high 50%. I did 30 questions a day and really reviewed both wrong answers and answers for questions I was iffy on. Along with Emanuel S&T, I got better and better every week until I was scoring 85%+ the last month-ish leading to the exam.

It's all about having a specific approach, sticking with it, and thinking positive!

I understand. I am trying to get to 1500 questions on Adapti bar on top of finishing Themis. What bar exam did you take? And how did you fail so many times if you were getting 85%? Lastly, what did you do different to pass?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:23 pm

My job is dependent on me passing the bar exam.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Sat May 26, 2018 6:23 pm

450 questions scoring 76%. However, it's my 3rd time using Adaptibar and this time I went through only Civ Pro, Real Property, and Contracts. No mixed questions yet. I've been consistently averaging approx 5% more each time I purchased the program (first time 65%, second 70%, and now 76% in progress). This time I need to fucking kill it.
justanotheruser wrote:I finally passed the Feb '18 bar (6th try -- yikes lol), but MBE has always been a strength. When I first started using Adaptibar, I was probably scoring in the high 50%. I did 30 questions a day and really reviewed both wrong answers and answers for questions I was iffy on. Along with Emanuel S&T, I got better and better every week until I was scoring 85%+ the last month-ish leading to the exam.
Wow, passed the MBE only with S&T and Adaptibar? That's encouraging since I just purchased S&T and on Adaptibar I'm getting better... I want to be done so bad.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:27 pm

What bar are you taking nightcrawler?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat May 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:450 questions scoring 76%. However, it's my 3rd time using Adaptibar and this time I went through only Civ Pro, Real Property, and Contracts. No mixed questions yet. I've been consistently averaging approx 5% more each time I purchased the program (first time 65%, second 70%, and now 76% in progress). This time I need to fucking kill it.
justanotheruser wrote:I finally passed the Feb '18 bar (6th try -- yikes lol), but MBE has always been a strength. When I first started using Adaptibar, I was probably scoring in the high 50%. I did 30 questions a day and really reviewed both wrong answers and answers for questions I was iffy on. Along with Emanuel S&T, I got better and better every week until I was scoring 85%+ the last month-ish leading to the exam.
Wow, passed the MBE only with S&T and Adaptibar? That's encouraging since I just purchased S&T and on Adaptibar I'm getting better... I want to be done so bad.

Adaptibar and S&T is a very good combo to kill the MBE IMHO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sat May 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Lawworld19 wrote: I understand. I am trying to get to 1500 questions on Adapti bar on top of finishing Themis. What bar exam did you take? And how did you fail so many times if you were getting 85%? Lastly, what did you do different to pass?
I took and finally passed the California bar exam. Long story short, I failed the first 4 times because of lack of all-around preparation. I failed the 5th time (July '17) because I was still weak in essays + did not practice PTs at all. However my MBEs improved dramatically because of my methodical approach this time, and I might have passed in July if I didn't bomb the PT (scored only 50).

Here's a lengthier post from a few days ago where I detail how I changed my approach and finally passed the Feb '18 CA bar exam. Hope it helps!
justanotheruser wrote:I took and failed this exam 5 times. The Feb 2018 exam was my 6th attempt and I somehow passed. On the one hand, I feel so happy and relieved. It feels like the nightmare is finally over... like a ton of weight has been taken off my shoulders. On the other hand, I know what it feels like to fall short time and time again.

When I failed for the 5th time (last July), I got the closest I've ever been to passing (scoring 1410) -- thanks in large part to MBE now being worth 50%. While my circumstances might not be the exact same as many of yours' here, I thought it would be worth sharing how I studied/prepared this time and finally passed the bar.

1. OVERALL/BACKGROUND

I almost passed the July 2017 exam mainly on the strength of MBEs (scored just under 150.0). What really hurt me was getting a 55 on one essay and getting a devastating 50 on the PT when I ran out of time + barely wrote 2-3 paragraphs.

I'd say the two biggest changes I made up front were (1) setting aside a full 10 weeks to study (as opposed to 7-8 weeks) and (2) making a detailed day-by-day study calendar. I almost always studied at a library. Overall, a typical day of studying would run 9 to 6... but it's not like I was studying the entire time (e.g. break time, lunch, etc.) With all that said, I was in a fortunate position to be able to study full-time for all 10 weeks. I understand that it's not a circumstance that's available for every one. And another thing, I spent practically zero time on watching lectures or reading notes. I think I referred to old outlines I had only when adaptibar's answer explanation wasn't cutting it for me.

Another commitment I made up front was to make sure I prepared for everything. The temptation to double up on my strength (MBE) was alluring, but given that I was failing over and over again I clearly had to try something different. So I told myself I would put in the time to become well-rounded in preparing for the essays and PT.

Based on my study calendar, I did 30 MBE questions and two essay subjects a day. Every 2 weeks (I picked Wednesday), I would swap out the essays for a full practice PT. As I got closer to the exam date, I did a practice PT basically every week. I think in Week 5 or 6 of studying, I did a full practice bar exam, with Tuesday as the written day and Wednesday as the MBE day. Needless to say, it was all under test conditions.

2. MBE (Materials used: Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics + Adaptibar)

As mentioned earlier, I did 30 MBEs a day, and that's how I would begin each study day. In total, I did about 1900-2000 questions in total (including repeat questions).

I first used Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics to develop a foundation (in terms of forming a strategic approach to MBEs), and then I used Adaptibar exclusively. As I go through the set of 30 Qs, I'm marking down questions I'm "uncertain" about. Once I finish, I go through not only the wrong questions, but the ones I marked "uncertain" as well. When you're reviewing questions, don't just look at the correct answer... but try to figure out why your wrong answer choice was wrong. In the short run it felt like a burden, but it really benefited me in the long run to do that.

As I review answer explanations, I compiled them on a google doc. Before each 30 question set, I would review the google doc and trim/delete or edit the answer explanations (in my own words) as necessary. Make sure to clean up the doc often because if your experience is anything like mine, the doc can get very lengthy (20+ pages).

Last few thoughts on MBE practice? Don't worry about seeing repeat questions on Adaptibar. Try your best to empty your mind of what you thought the answer might have been, and focus on applying the method/approach you've been rolling with.

3. ESSAYS (BarEssays.com)

If I'm honest, I think I tried too hard to find the path of least resistance here. For past bar exams, I would look up BarSecret's predictions and do 3-5 practice outlines per predicted topic. I figured that if I did decently on 2-3 essays, I could pass the bar based on my MBE performance. I also, admittedly, had a mental block when it came to practicing essays. It felt both like crazy boring work I wanted to avoid as well as overwhelming given the amount of stuff I'd be forced to memorize. In hindsight, I think my fears were largely proven wrong.

An overview of how I practiced essays: During the first 2-3 weeks of studying, I would only do ONE essay per subject (so two total essays that day). In these initial weeks, I would fully write out these essays WITH an open book + a 2-hour time limit. In short, I tried writing as good an essay as I could. It helped me get familiar with the essay topics and start slowly building a foundation. I won't lie, this part was pretty grueling (but it got easier afterwards). After that, for most of the 10-weeks I spent studying (between weeks 3 through 8 roughly), I outlined essays (and increased from 1 essay to 2-4 essays per subject). In the last two weeks before the exam, I just issue spotted going through 8-10 essays (covering 2-3 essay subjects) a day.

In all this, BarEssays was a fantastic resource. After I'd be done writing/outlining/issue-spotting an essay, I would compare what I had written with what had been written (or not) on papers scoring 60, 65, and 70+. If there was a rule or strategy I'd frequently forget, I'd make a note of it on a google doc. I'm only speaking for myself here, but I did not have to rote memorize anything. Some people advocate memorizing the 13 most frequent rule statements per each subject. Do what works for you best.

Once I had a few weeks under my belt, I began to notice how certain details or fact patterns that would implicate various/specific issues. You start seeing how there's only a finite number of issues they test for each subject. In time, I began to slowly articulate the rule statement in my own words... even if they didn't exactly match the "standard" phrasing on BarEssays. A few more weeks later, my momentum would continue to build as I saw how I was spotting most of the issues covered on passing essays. It also helped when I saw how many of these high-scoring essays were filled with typos/errors/etc -- they were far from perfect.

4. PT (http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mpt/preparing)

As long as I've tried passing the bar, the PT was basically the neglected stepchild... even though it counts twice as much as an essay. I think my mindset really changed when I realized I could have passed the July 2017 exam if I had time to finish the PT (and score 60+) instead of running out of time and only scoring a 50 like I actually did.

In terms of approach, I did about 7-8 full practice PTs. My focus each and every time was getting my timing down. Your approach may be different, but my goal was to finish reading+outlining in 30 minutes so I could have an hour-ish to write. During practices, I would mark down how long it took me to finish outlining and start writing. I think my first PT or two, it took me nearly an hour to read/outline everything. But I got better and better. I did all this with the strategy of doing the PT first and then the two essays in the afternoon session.

On the actual bar exam, I spent just under 1 hr 40 minutes on the PT before moving on to the two essays in the afternoon session. Obviously I could have been a bit quicker, but this was far better than when I had only 25 minutes (in total) to start and finish the PT in July 2017.

5. FINAL THOUGHTS

I think planning out a 10-week study schedule, making a detailed day-by-day calendar, and ensuring I'd do xxxx number of MBEs, essays, and PTs come the real thing was HUGE. Gave me not only structure, but assurance that no day was going to waste. I would just add that I designated 4-5 days as "free" days. I ended up using them for extra review, a day off to go to a friend's wedding, and another day off to go see Japanese Breakfast live.

If my experience is any indication remaining positive is huge -- in both the small things (not letting a tough MBE question hang you up for the next 10 minutes) and big things (believing you can overcome the bar after multiple tries). It's also being honest with yourself with the adjustments you need to make in your studies. For me, it was admitting I shouldn't overly rely on my MBE performance for the bar and putting in the requisite work for essays/PT.

This is already a long enough post as it is, but feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Sat May 26, 2018 11:39 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:What bar are you taking nightcrawler?
California

eerb1019

New

Post by eerb1019 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 pm

justanotheruser wrote:
Lawworld19 wrote: I understand. I am trying to get to 1500 questions on Adapti bar on top of finishing Themis. What bar exam did you take? And how did you fail so many times if you were getting 85%? Lastly, what did you do different to pass?
I took and finally passed the California bar exam. Long story short, I failed the first 4 times because of lack of all-around preparation. I failed the 5th time (July '17) because I was still weak in essays + did not practice PTs at all. However my MBEs improved dramatically because of my methodical approach this time, and I might have passed in July if I didn't bomb the PT (scored only 50).

Here's a lengthier post from a few days ago where I detail how I changed my approach and finally passed the Feb '18 CA bar exam. Hope it helps!
justanotheruser wrote:I took and failed this exam 5 times. The Feb 2018 exam was my 6th attempt and I somehow passed. On the one hand, I feel so happy and relieved. It feels like the nightmare is finally over... like a ton of weight has been taken off my shoulders. On the other hand, I know what it feels like to fall short time and time again.

When I failed for the 5th time (last July), I got the closest I've ever been to passing (scoring 1410) -- thanks in large part to MBE now being worth 50%. While my circumstances might not be the exact same as many of yours' here, I thought it would be worth sharing how I studied/prepared this time and finally passed the bar.

1. OVERALL/BACKGROUND

I almost passed the July 2017 exam mainly on the strength of MBEs (scored just under 150.0). What really hurt me was getting a 55 on one essay and getting a devastating 50 on the PT when I ran out of time + barely wrote 2-3 paragraphs.

I'd say the two biggest changes I made up front were (1) setting aside a full 10 weeks to study (as opposed to 7-8 weeks) and (2) making a detailed day-by-day study calendar. I almost always studied at a library. Overall, a typical day of studying would run 9 to 6... but it's not like I was studying the entire time (e.g. break time, lunch, etc.) With all that said, I was in a fortunate position to be able to study full-time for all 10 weeks. I understand that it's not a circumstance that's available for every one. And another thing, I spent practically zero time on watching lectures or reading notes. I think I referred to old outlines I had only when adaptibar's answer explanation wasn't cutting it for me.

Another commitment I made up front was to make sure I prepared for everything. The temptation to double up on my strength (MBE) was alluring, but given that I was failing over and over again I clearly had to try something different. So I told myself I would put in the time to become well-rounded in preparing for the essays and PT.

Based on my study calendar, I did 30 MBE questions and two essay subjects a day. Every 2 weeks (I picked Wednesday), I would swap out the essays for a full practice PT. As I got closer to the exam date, I did a practice PT basically every week. I think in Week 5 or 6 of studying, I did a full practice bar exam, with Tuesday as the written day and Wednesday as the MBE day. Needless to say, it was all under test conditions.

2. MBE (Materials used: Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics + Adaptibar)

As mentioned earlier, I did 30 MBEs a day, and that's how I would begin each study day. In total, I did about 1900-2000 questions in total (including repeat questions).

I first used Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics to develop a foundation (in terms of forming a strategic approach to MBEs), and then I used Adaptibar exclusively. As I go through the set of 30 Qs, I'm marking down questions I'm "uncertain" about. Once I finish, I go through not only the wrong questions, but the ones I marked "uncertain" as well. When you're reviewing questions, don't just look at the correct answer... but try to figure out why your wrong answer choice was wrong. In the short run it felt like a burden, but it really benefited me in the long run to do that.

As I review answer explanations, I compiled them on a google doc. Before each 30 question set, I would review the google doc and trim/delete or edit the answer explanations (in my own words) as necessary. Make sure to clean up the doc often because if your experience is anything like mine, the doc can get very lengthy (20+ pages).

Last few thoughts on MBE practice? Don't worry about seeing repeat questions on Adaptibar. Try your best to empty your mind of what you thought the answer might have been, and focus on applying the method/approach you've been rolling with.

3. ESSAYS (BarEssays.com)

If I'm honest, I think I tried too hard to find the path of least resistance here. For past bar exams, I would look up BarSecret's predictions and do 3-5 practice outlines per predicted topic. I figured that if I did decently on 2-3 essays, I could pass the bar based on my MBE performance. I also, admittedly, had a mental block when it came to practicing essays. It felt both like crazy boring work I wanted to avoid as well as overwhelming given the amount of stuff I'd be forced to memorize. In hindsight, I think my fears were largely proven wrong.

An overview of how I practiced essays: During the first 2-3 weeks of studying, I would only do ONE essay per subject (so two total essays that day). In these initial weeks, I would fully write out these essays WITH an open book + a 2-hour time limit. In short, I tried writing as good an essay as I could. It helped me get familiar with the essay topics and start slowly building a foundation. I won't lie, this part was pretty grueling (but it got easier afterwards). After that, for most of the 10-weeks I spent studying (between weeks 3 through 8 roughly), I outlined essays (and increased from 1 essay to 2-4 essays per subject). In the last two weeks before the exam, I just issue spotted going through 8-10 essays (covering 2-3 essay subjects) a day.

In all this, BarEssays was a fantastic resource. After I'd be done writing/outlining/issue-spotting an essay, I would compare what I had written with what had been written (or not) on papers scoring 60, 65, and 70+. If there was a rule or strategy I'd frequently forget, I'd make a note of it on a google doc. I'm only speaking for myself here, but I did not have to rote memorize anything. Some people advocate memorizing the 13 most frequent rule statements per each subject. Do what works for you best.

Once I had a few weeks under my belt, I began to notice how certain details or fact patterns that would implicate various/specific issues. You start seeing how there's only a finite number of issues they test for each subject. In time, I began to slowly articulate the rule statement in my own words... even if they didn't exactly match the "standard" phrasing on BarEssays. A few more weeks later, my momentum would continue to build as I saw how I was spotting most of the issues covered on passing essays. It also helped when I saw how many of these high-scoring essays were filled with typos/errors/etc -- they were far from perfect.

4. PT (http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mpt/preparing)

As long as I've tried passing the bar, the PT was basically the neglected stepchild... even though it counts twice as much as an essay. I think my mindset really changed when I realized I could have passed the July 2017 exam if I had time to finish the PT (and score 60+) instead of running out of time and only scoring a 50 like I actually did.

In terms of approach, I did about 7-8 full practice PTs. My focus each and every time was getting my timing down. Your approach may be different, but my goal was to finish reading+outlining in 30 minutes so I could have an hour-ish to write. During practices, I would mark down how long it took me to finish outlining and start writing. I think my first PT or two, it took me nearly an hour to read/outline everything. But I got better and better. I did all this with the strategy of doing the PT first and then the two essays in the afternoon session.

On the actual bar exam, I spent just under 1 hr 40 minutes on the PT before moving on to the two essays in the afternoon session. Obviously I could have been a bit quicker, but this was far better than when I had only 25 minutes (in total) to start and finish the PT in July 2017.

5. FINAL THOUGHTS

I think planning out a 10-week study schedule, making a detailed day-by-day calendar, and ensuring I'd do xxxx number of MBEs, essays, and PTs come the real thing was HUGE. Gave me not only structure, but assurance that no day was going to waste. I would just add that I designated 4-5 days as "free" days. I ended up using them for extra review, a day off to go to a friend's wedding, and another day off to go see Japanese Breakfast live.

If my experience is any indication remaining positive is huge -- in both the small things (not letting a tough MBE question hang you up for the next 10 minutes) and big things (believing you can overcome the bar after multiple tries). It's also being honest with yourself with the adjustments you need to make in your studies. For me, it was admitting I shouldn't overly rely on my MBE performance for the bar and putting in the requisite work for essays/PT.

This is already a long enough post as it is, but feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Congrats and thank you for sharing your tips. Could you tell me which mode did you use between practice question or exam mode when you did the 30 questions? I just want to do it with exam mode but I am a bit worried if I am using it in a wrong way.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:00 pm

eerb1019 wrote:Congrats and thank you for sharing your tips. Could you tell me which mode did you use between practice question or exam mode when you did the 30 questions? I just want to do it with exam mode but I am a bit worried if I am using it in a wrong way.
I think exam mode? It's the one where you don't get the answers and results until after you're done with all the questions.

The practice question mode is the one where you instantly get the answers after each question, right? I almost never used that mode during my studies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eerb1019

New

Post by eerb1019 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:44 pm

justanotheruser wrote:
eerb1019 wrote:Congrats and thank you for sharing your tips. Could you tell me which mode did you use between practice question or exam mode when you did the 30 questions? I just want to do it with exam mode but I am a bit worried if I am using it in a wrong way.
I think exam mode? It's the one where you don't get the answers and results until after you're done with all the questions.

The practice question mode is the one where you instantly get the answers after each question, right? I almost never used that mode during my studies.
Yup, right! Thank you! :D

almaz

New

Post by almaz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 pm

Taking bar in new state (passed last July).

I am at 75.5% through 220 Qs, but I haven't done any Civ Pro questions and that is easily my worst subject.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”