Drinking violations from undergrad, does the bar care? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tb12345

New

Drinking violations from undergrad, does the bar care?

Post by tb12345 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:16 am

So my undergrad was super strict about drinking and I was put on disciplinary probation for nearly all of undergrad and kicked out of housing. I haven't had any drinking related violations or any discipline related anything for at least 4 years straight.

My schools Director of Student Conduct wrote them a letter (school policy is not to give out records) and then at the end recommended me for the bar personally and in his professional capacity as a ethics in higher education professor.

Only other thing is I had a minor in possession of alcohol reduced to a city ordinance violation that I also included the very few court documents on the issue. Besides that I have never had any criminal anything either. Nor have I ever had any drug/violence/lying issues.

I was completely open and honest in my petition to the bar and to my school about these. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on whether the bar cares about these things? 5 is kind of a lot. Also if they do take issue with these what do they do? Call me and ask me to come in for an interview? Any help or wisdom would be appreciated.

PoliLaw

New

Re: Drinking violations from undergrad, does the bar care?

Post by PoliLaw » Fri May 25, 2018 11:22 am

One of my law school classmates had 4 MIPs of Alcohol, 2 assault charges and was authorized to be admitted to a bar in the south eastern state. Another one of my classmates had a Dui in undergrad and is admitted. Another one had a DUI in LAW SCHOOL and was admitted. All they care about is candor and if you have gotten help or saught help if its something that you have done multiple times.I had a friend who defaulted on a bunch of credit cards and before the bar would admit said person they required him to do credit counseling and write a memo about client trust accounting.

tb12345

New

Post by tb12345 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am

PoliLaw wrote:One of my law school classmates had 4 MIPs of Alcohol, 2 assault charges and was authorized to be admitted to a bar in the south eastern state. Another one of my classmates had a Dui in undergrad and is admitted. Another one had a DUI in LAW SCHOOL and was admitted. All they care about is candor and if you have gotten help or saught help if its something that you have done multiple times.I had a friend who defaulted on a bunch of credit cards and before the bar would admit said person they required him to do credit counseling and write a memo about client trust accounting.
Okay well that makes me feel a lot better. I knew it wasn't a huge deal and 4 years without incident (especially factoring in the fact that I can now consume alcohol LEGALLY now that I'm over 21) is a long time. Thanks for your response.

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Sat May 26, 2018 11:53 am

tb12345 wrote:So my undergrad was super strict about drinking and I was put on disciplinary probation for nearly all of undergrad and kicked out of housing. I haven't had any drinking related violations or any discipline related anything for at least 4 years straight.

My schools Director of Student Conduct wrote them a letter (school policy is not to give out records) and then at the end recommended me for the bar personally and in his professional capacity as a ethics in higher education professor.

Only other thing is I had a minor in possession of alcohol reduced to a city ordinance violation that I also included the very few court documents on the issue. Besides that I have never had any criminal anything either. Nor have I ever had any drug/violence/lying issues.

I was completely open and honest in my petition to the bar and to my school about these. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on whether the bar cares about these things? 5 is kind of a lot. Also if they do take issue with these what do they do? Call me and ask me to come in for an interview? Any help or wisdom would be appreciated.
I don't think you have much to worry about, I have also had friends admitted that had past legal transgressions. The most I can see coming of it is that you get asked questions in character and fitness but I do not believe it will effect your admission. The only reason I say character and fitness may ask questions is because in theory they can and under their guidelines possibly need to, but no you should be fine.

Conversely, I strongly discourage anyone from going out after they pass the bar and getting too wild because that happened to an older friend of mine and he was stupid and thus got a DWI the night he found out he passed. He graduated 2 years ago and is still not licensed. The only reason I even mention his story is because he had a few from his younger days so I do not know how long he will have to wait but they are concerned more so with law school and activities since that could indicate a pattern of behavior/not learning your lesson/ disregard for rules of the profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”