July 2018 Maryland Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nthp

New

July 2018 Maryland Bar

Post by nthp » Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 pm

First time Bar taker. I'm taking it in Maryland, which is one of the last exams before Maryland switches over to the UBE. I am taking Barbri and am using AdaptiBar. Anyone else taking the Maryland Bar this July?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: July 2018 Maryland Bar

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 pm

I am. Pissed my firm is making me take MD even with the coming changes to UBE. Working in DC. Taking Themis and Adaptibar questions.

nthp

New

Post by nthp » Thu May 24, 2018 3:46 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:I am. Pissed my firm is making me take MD even with the coming changes to UBE. Working in DC. Taking Themis and Adaptibar questions.

That's strange. They don't care that it is switching to UBE? I know currently if you do well enough in Maryland you can waive into D.C. I plan on staying in Maryland so taking the Maryland Bar seemed like a good option for me.

austinselliott

New

Post by austinselliott » Thu May 24, 2018 5:58 pm

I just ordered BarMax to supplement my Barbri studying since they have almost 2,000 real MBE questions, unlike Barbri. Chose it over Adaptibar since you can access the questions on Barmax for life since there is no expiration. The question set also comes with analytics (which track your progress/tells you what you need to improve on). They are currently offering a 10% discount for the set of 1,750+ questions, which makes the price $270. PM if you want the 10% off code.

nthp

New

Post by nthp » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:07 am

Has anyone gotten a graded MPT back yet from their review course? I have and did okay, but there is room for improvement. How much are you studying for the essays, since they give more weight to it in Maryland than the MBE? So far I've been concentrating on the MBE and reading through some of the sample essay answers, but haven't sat down and tried to write any of them out except for an MPT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shaq23

New

Post by shaq23 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:10 am

If anyone is debating whether to get Adaptibar, here's a link to a review of the program to help you decide. After considering the program, if you think you would like to sign up, the review has a link for a discount.

https://www.virginiabarprep.com/review- ... ou-get-it/

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Anyone else notice an update to the home page that reads "Passer's Obligations"? Maybe I'm crazy, I don't check the page often.

nthp

New

Post by nthp » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:30 pm

TEIAM wrote:Anyone else notice an update to the home page that reads "Passer's Obligations"? Maybe I'm crazy, I don't check the page often.
It's been there ever since I submitted my application. I think it is just a checklist item for the orientation program we have to go through in the event we pass the Bar. I wish it meant something else.

Also, I spoke to someone at the Board of Law Examiners yesterday who was very nice. It looks like no early release date for results. It will be at 4:30pm on November 2, as previously stated by them.

nthp

New

Post by nthp » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Well, I didn't want to be the only one writing in this thread, but I'll write something anyway.

First, congrats to all of the people who have passed in the other States, and good luck to the others on their next go around! I've been mostly silently following this forum since the Bar.

I came here just to write about my experience with the Bar, more specifically the MBE. I prepared a lot for the MBE, but it did not prepare me for the morning session at all. I came out of the morning session extremely upset because I could not guess how it went. It was nothing like I had prepared for. My friend who took the exam the prior year (though different jurisdiction) and passed had to calm me down because I was so upset. My friend's encouragement led me to do much better on the afternoon session, which felt more like what I had prepared for during my studies. Needless to say, I have absolutely no clue if I passed or not. I could have passed or I could have failed. I think both are equally possible.

That's all I wanted to write.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawomg

New

Post by lawomg » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:49 pm

I just discovered this board and while on the count down this will serve as my therapy as well. What do you mean by Passer's Obligation. I just have a heading for Passer's Obligation, but no link to click on.

lawomg

New

Post by lawomg » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Also, has anyone been contacted for an interview for character and fitness. Some people have and some people have not

lawomg

New

Post by lawomg » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:29 pm

What did everyone think about the exam. I find myself reliving the essays.

What do you believe the difference between a 4 and 6 are when there are only 25 minutes to write an essay?

sneakershop1

New

Post by sneakershop1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:54 pm

Does anyone know of someone who got contacted for an interview but failed from a previous bar exam?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawomg

New

Post by lawomg » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:12 pm

I talked to someone that took the exam in 2017. There were lots of people interviewed by actual attorneys that did not pass. People were running around getting reference together and changing their schedules and received a fail letter. Apparently the interview before results indicates nothing.

DCESQ

New

Post by DCESQ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:17 pm

I took the exam in July 2017. I will tell you that you won’t find out early and the interview doesn’t mean you passed or failed. I had my interview before I found out I passed. Your interviewer will know if you passed or not (though I’m not sure how) if you have anything to follow up with your interviewer. I didn’t have any C&F issues, but some of my employers didn’t submit their forms so I had to follow up to finish with the interviewer before I could be given a swear-in date.

Also my interview was pretty informal and lasted about 15 mins but I only had a 7 year old speeding ticket.

nthp

New

Post by nthp » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:33 am

DCESQ wrote:I took the exam in July 2017. I will tell you that you won’t find out early and the interview doesn’t mean you passed or failed. I had my interview before I found out I passed. Your interviewer will know if you passed or not (though I’m not sure how) if you have anything to follow up with your interviewer. I didn’t have any C&F issues, but some of my employers didn’t submit their forms so I had to follow up to finish with the interviewer before I could be given a swear-in date.

Also my interview was pretty informal and lasted about 15 mins but I only had a 7 year old speeding ticket.

I don't think the interview means anything either. But I did wonder if your interviewer would know whether you passed or failed. DCESQ, how did you figure that your interviewer knew your status? Also, do you think your law school knows your status ahead of time? The reason I ask is because of little indirect things my school has done in terms of communication that seems to indicate that they do know. Or maybe I'm just really nervous and am reading too much into these things.

sneakershop1

New

Post by sneakershop1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:21 am

I understand many people completed their interview prior to taking the exam. I've been told there is no correlation between passing/failing and receiving an interview after taking the test. However, it doesn't make much sense to me for the Applicant and the C&F attorney to have an interview if the Applicant failed. Am I thinking too much into this?

Does anyone know anyone that took the test, got an interview, and then failed?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DCESQ

New

Post by DCESQ » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:29 pm

nthp wrote:
DCESQ wrote:I took the exam in July 2017. I will tell you that you won’t find out early and the interview doesn’t mean you passed or failed. I had my interview before I found out I passed. Your interviewer will know if you passed or not (though I’m not sure how) if you have anything to follow up with your interviewer. I didn’t have any C&F issues, but some of my employers didn’t submit their forms so I had to follow up to finish with the interviewer before I could be given a swear-in date.

I don't think the interview means anything either. But I did wonder if your interviewer would know whether you passed or failed. DCESQ, how did you figure that your interviewer knew your status? Also, do you think your law school knows your status ahead of time? The reason I ask is because of little indirect things my school has done in terms of communication that seems to indicate that they do know. Or maybe I'm just really nervous and am reading too much into these things.
She only knew after the results came out and said something like “Congratulations! I still need X, Y, and Z from you.” I don’t believe she knew ahead of time. I doubt your school knows either and is probably just preparing in the event you pass.

The bar would want the interviewers to know who passed and didn’t do the interviewers didn’t waste their time with more interviews or follow ups.

nthp

New

Post by nthp » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:53 pm

She only knew after the results came out and said something like “Congratulations! I still need X, Y, and Z from you.” I don’t believe she knew ahead of time. I doubt your school knows either and is probably just preparing in the event you pass.

The bar would want the interviewers to know who passed and didn’t do the interviewers didn’t waste their time with more interviews or follow ups.
Thank you, DCESQ! I think that you are right. School communication probably doesn't mean anything.
sneakershop1 wrote:I understand many people completed their interview prior to taking the exam. I've been told there is no correlation between passing/failing and receiving an interview after taking the test. However, it doesn't make much sense to me for the Applicant and the C&F attorney to have an interview if the Applicant failed. Am I thinking too much into this?

Does anyone know anyone that took the test, got an interview, and then failed?
I have a friend who knew two people that took the Maryland Bar last year, one of whom had their interview before results, and failed, and another who passed and then was given an interview. It doesn't look like it means anything, other than the schedule of the Bar interviewer, and perhaps, how difficult your case is.

I had my own Bar interview in September, with my references telling me that they received questionnaires in mid-August, which would have been too early for the Bar interviewer to know anything. I am nervous for results and would love for it to be a sign, but I just don't think it is, given what I have heard.

purplelaw887

New

Post by purplelaw887 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 am

Any possibility that we may know before Nov. 2nd? And how many of you took barbri as a prep course I'm wonder if their practice MBE is really a good predictor?

lawomg

New

Post by lawomg » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:06 pm

I took Barbri.
It looks like from other sites
Midterm scores between 90-99 are getting 132 to 139

100 to 120 are getting 140 to 150
125+ well who gives a f***. You are going to pass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

purplelaw887

New

Post by purplelaw887 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:17 pm

lawomg wrote:I took Barbri.
It looks like from other sites
Midterm scores between 90-99 are getting 132 to 139

100 to 120 are getting 140 to 150
125+ well who gives a f***. You are going to pass.
How much do we need to get for to pass in Maryland?

lawomg

New

Post by lawomg » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:36 pm

MD does not have a minimum MBE Passage score..
It depends on the formula they use. The July Formula is better than the February formula. July 2016 formula was the best. In 2016, you could get a 44 on essays and 123 MBE and still pass the MD Bar. However in July 2017 you would fail the Bar by 12 points based on the July 2017 formula.

Hopefully MD Bar examiners have the July 2016 formula again that way most people can pass and move on with their lives.

lawomg

New

Post by lawomg » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:55 pm

July 2016 Bar - Best Scale

Written Test Scale Score = (2.2668 x Applicant’s Total Raw Essay Score) + 41.5769 ] times 2+ MBE

February 2016 Bar – Harder Scale

Written Test Scale Score = (2.2678 x Applicant’s Total Raw Essay Score) + 26.6712] times 2 + MBE

July 2017 Bar

Written Test Scale Score = (2.5498 x Applicant’s Total Raw Essay Score) + 20.8733 ] times 2+ MBE

February 2017 – Harder Scale

Written Test Scale Score = (2.1032 x Applicant’s Total Raw Essay Score) + 38.7125 ] times 2 + MBE

February 2018 - Harder Scale

Written Test Scale Score = (2.1212 x Applicant’s Total Raw Essay Score) + 34.6988 ] times 2+ MBE

July Scale is always easier than February in MD. I hope not to take the February Bar, odds go down alot of you passing even with the same score if it were July.

purplelaw887

New

Post by purplelaw887 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:12 am

This wait has really been draining. I'm reliving the essays back in my head! I wonder how the grading will work it's just soo stressful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”