Help understanding the Barbri set-up? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anonanonny

New

Help understanding the Barbri set-up?

Post by anonanonny » Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 pm

So I just finished the MBE Immersion for Barbri and basically just looked over my PSP. I have a few questions for those who have used Barbri (or even other programs):

How did you plan certain life events around bar prep? (I guess this isn't just specific to Barbri) There are a handful of days, maybe 3-4, where I have to drive a few hours away for things like weddings and moving. Do you just work ahead in your PSP? I guess my concern is that with the estimated times for all of these assignments plus other studying I should be doing aside from the assignments (like more practice questions and review) that I won't have all that much time to work ahead?

I've seen a few people mention how they treated it like a 9-5 job with a few hours of studying on weekends, but with the estimated times of completion for assignments it adds up to more than just treating it like a 9-5. I'm trying to understand how to treat it like a full-time job as opposed to two full-time jobs (if that's possible :D). I have no problem with putting in more hours than 9-5 some days or even most but some life is happening this summer that I simply can't skip out on--even for bar prep.

Thank you for any advice, tips, and help! Also forgive my lack of understanding how this works. I should've looked at this stuff sooner... :|

New

Re: Help understanding the Barbri set-up?

Post by 12481632 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:00 pm

Bumping this because I'm in the exact same spot as you. Don't quite understand how BarBri is set up/what the important logistical takeaways are.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Tue May 29, 2018 6:05 pm

anonanonny wrote:So I just finished the MBE Immersion for Barbri and basically just looked over my PSP. I have a few questions for those who have used Barbri (or even other programs):

How did you plan certain life events around bar prep? (I guess this isn't just specific to Barbri) There are a handful of days, maybe 3-4, where I have to drive a few hours away for things like weddings and moving. Do you just work ahead in your PSP? I guess my concern is that with the estimated times for all of these assignments plus other studying I should be doing aside from the assignments (like more practice questions and review) that I won't have all that much time to work ahead?

I've seen a few people mention how they treated it like a 9-5 job with a few hours of studying on weekends, but with the estimated times of completion for assignments it adds up to more than just treating it like a 9-5. I'm trying to understand how to treat it like a full-time job as opposed to two full-time jobs (if that's possible :D). I have no problem with putting in more hours than 9-5 some days or even most but some life is happening this summer that I simply can't skip out on--even for bar prep.

Thank you for any advice, tips, and help! Also forgive my lack of understanding how this works. I should've looked at this stuff sooner... :|
I'll chime in. First, it's not a make-or-break type of deal. Think of Barbri's plan as a suggestion on how to allocate your time during bar prep. You might need to work more or less than what they recommend. Second, it's fluid and it's ok to get behind (a little). At least for the first month, try to keep up and see if you're retaining info, not feeling too stressed. Once the midpoint hits you should have an accurate idea of whether you're ahead or behind the curve and then adjust accordingly.

Lastly, life doesn't stop. It's helpful to put in the work now in order to pass this July rather than having to start studying again in late november, but sometimes that's just how it goes. A lot of us have had to do this and life doesn't end. Don't put more pressure on yourself than you need to - find the optimal level of stress and try to stick with that.

Basically, i'm not answering your question because there is no answer - bar prep is about figuring out what works for you, and what you need. That is half the battle. Good luck.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 am

12481632 wrote:Bumping this because I'm in the exact same spot as you. Don't quite understand how BarBri is set up/what the important logistical takeaways are.
I would plan for the times you know you will be away by working ahead. You will discover that not all Barbri assignments are created equal and many (especially reviewing outlines prior to a lecture) are unnecessary. I would NOT however, advise you to fall behind on the study plan. Is it possible to pass the bar without doing all or most of Barbri? Absolutely. But your chances are significantly better if you just do what they tell you to do. They are the experts and no one wants to retake the bar. So work ahead when you know the weddings, etc., are coming up and plan accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”