July Bar - 2 weeks after C Sectiom Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anandamide

New

July Bar - 2 weeks after C Sectiom

Post by anandamide » Sun May 20, 2018 11:02 pm

I was unsuccessful in February and am considering taking the July Bar, on 7/24 & 7/25.

The only hitch is that I have a scheduled C Section on 7/11 and will be in the hospital for 3-4 days. Has anyone had any experience with this? My Dr. said I should physically be ok, but she's not sure about how I will feel emotionally and hormonally having just given birth. Also, don't newborns NOT sleep the first 3 months? Should I wait until February 2019? I don't wait another failure.

Thanks in advance.

Great45

New

Re: July Bar - 2 weeks after C Sectiom

Post by Great45 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:05 am

For starters, I’m a guy. First kid was born this past year.

I can tell you newborns do not have a great sleep schedule. In the first month, they’re typically up every 2 hours looking to eat. If you plan on nursing, you are going to have to be up when the baby is up. If you have a partner and plan on using formula, it would be great if your partner is willing to step up and make sure to be on top of the late night feedings as to not interrupt your sleep leading up to the Bar.

Regarding hormones, I believe it’s hit or miss. Doesn’t necessarily happen to everyone. My wife didn’t have any hormonal issues at all. (So she says)

rkreymer

Bronze

Post by rkreymer » Mon May 21, 2018 10:08 am

anandamide wrote:I was unsuccessful in February and am considering taking the July Bar, on 7/24 & 7/25.

The only hitch is that I have a scheduled C Section on 7/11 and will be in the hospital for 3-4 days. Has anyone had any experience with this? My Dr. said I should physically be ok, but she's not sure about how I will feel emotionally and hormonally having just given birth. Also, don't newborns NOT sleep the first 3 months? Should I wait until February 2019? I don't wait another failure.

Thanks in advance.
I did't have a C Section, all mine were natural, but do know, every mother/baby is super unique. I was super emotional after my deliveries. Babies are up at all hours of the night and day. Even if you have someone to help 24/7 you're a still there and you hear, feel, and want to be near your baby. It's extremely physically and emotionally draining. I would wait

sprintin23

New

Post by sprintin23 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:18 pm

First off, congratulations! Full disclosure: I am a male so I can't really relate fully to that experience. However, my wife and I had two of my kids while in I was in law school and we just welcomed our third in December, right in the middle Feb's bar prep. All three were C-Section babies. By the grace of God, I passed. Honestly, it all depends on you and how you feel at that point. Conventional wisdom would point to sitting July out simply because the baby is not on schedule with feedings and sleep, hormones and simple recovery from being sawed in half just two weeks prior. From my wife's' experience, she could not drive, climb steps, or climb into our bed until about a month out. If you really want to knock this thing out, make sure you and the baby healthy and on a schedule, and set aside time when you will be able to commit. Because of the short turn around time, It would be a reach for you to sit in July. Get your family right, and come back strong for next February.

anandamide

New

Post by anandamide » Mon May 21, 2018 9:33 pm

sprintin23 wrote:First off, congratulations! Full disclosure: I am a male so I can't really relate fully to that experience. However, my wife and I had two of my kids while in I was in law school and we just welcomed our third in December, right in the middle Feb's bar prep. All three were C-Section babies. By the grace of God, I passed. Honestly, it all depends on you and how you feel at that point. Conventional wisdom would point to sitting July out simply because the baby is not on schedule with feedings and sleep, hormones and simple recovery from being sawed in half just two weeks prior. From my wife's' experience, she could not drive, climb steps, or climb into our bed until about a month out. If you really want to knock this thing out, make sure you and the baby healthy and on a schedule, and set aside time when you will be able to commit. Because of the short turn around time, It would be a reach for you to sit in July. Get your family right, and come back strong for next February.
Thank you for this.

rainsas

New

Post by rainsas » Mon May 21, 2018 11:02 pm

Congrats! I haven’t done the two together, but I have had both a C section and taken the bar and I would strongly recommend waiting until February. My C section was unplanned, which maybe makes a difference, but I had a hard time walking for the first two weeks or so. I had to hold a pillow over my incision every time I coughed or sneezed. Also, I was bone tired until the baby started sleeping through at 2 months or so, because he woke up every couple of hours round the clock. Because I had a C section, it took about five days for my milk to come in and I was still leaking like crazy at two weeks. Also, if you’re nursing, you need to pump or feed every 2-3 hours at that age, which would make it hard with the timing of the bar. I do think it’s true that every woman handles things differently, but my son is a very easy baby and my C section was very routine and I still couldn’t image taking the bar two weeks after having my baby.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”