Negotiating with Barbri?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
tropicalvibezz

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 11:54 pm

Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby tropicalvibezz » Tue May 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi!

I am currently applying to take the bar for a third time. I took MA in July 2017 and missed by 3 points. Took NH in Feb 2018 and missed by 6 points.

I took Barbri for both. Paid the $2,500 for the first time and did the free repeat guarantee.

I am in the midst of talking to Barbri and they won't budge on their Repeater course fee.

Who did y'all speak to when negotiating the price down with Barbri?

Nightcrawler

Bronze
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby Nightcrawler » Tue May 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Save your money on a better company. If their method didn't work twice, switch up. Not criticizing, I just had the same experience as you, switched up, and had a big increase in my score. Adaptibar helped a lot for the MBE.

sparkytrainer

Silver
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue May 15, 2018 6:07 pm

If you didn't pass twice with their program, what makes you wanna try a third? Go do something different! (and much cheaper)

tropicalvibezz

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 11:54 pm

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby tropicalvibezz » Wed May 16, 2018 8:14 am

Nightcrawler wrote:Save your money on a better company. If their method didn't work twice, switch up. Not criticizing, I just had the same experience as you, switched up, and had a big increase in my score. Adaptibar helped a lot for the MBE.

sparkytrainer wrote:If you didn't pass twice with their program, what makes you wanna try a third? Go do something different! (and much cheaper)


True...any other recommendations aside from AdaptiBar?

LockBox

Bronze
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby LockBox » Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 pm

tropicalvibezz wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:Save your money on a better company. If their method didn't work twice, switch up. Not criticizing, I just had the same experience as you, switched up, and had a big increase in my score. Adaptibar helped a lot for the MBE.

sparkytrainer wrote:If you didn't pass twice with their program, what makes you wanna try a third? Go do something different! (and much cheaper)


True...any other recommendations aside from AdaptiBar?


The recommendation is to attack your weakness. If it's MBE, then i'd vouch for adaptibar too. If writing is what is getting you, find a former bar grader and ask them to grade/analyze 20-40 essays. Take all of your state's released bar essays/questions and do them under test conditions. Stop paying barbri to watch videos...it's time to do some work.

tropicalvibezz

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 11:54 pm

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby tropicalvibezz » Wed May 16, 2018 8:44 pm

LockBox wrote:
tropicalvibezz wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:Save your money on a better company. If their method didn't work twice, switch up. Not criticizing, I just had the same experience as you, switched up, and had a big increase in my score. Adaptibar helped a lot for the MBE.

sparkytrainer wrote:If you didn't pass twice with their program, what makes you wanna try a third? Go do something different! (and much cheaper)


True...any other recommendations aside from AdaptiBar?


The recommendation is to attack your weakness. If it's MBE, then i'd vouch for adaptibar too. If writing is what is getting you, find a former bar grader and ask them to grade/analyze 20-40 essays. Take all of your state's released bar essays/questions and do them under test conditions. Stop paying barbri to watch videos...it's time to do some work.


Thank you for the advice! My biggest concern is I am not sure what type of study plan to set up day to day. Do you have any you would recommend?

Nightcrawler

Bronze
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby Nightcrawler » Thu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm

tropicalvibezz wrote:
LockBox wrote:
tropicalvibezz wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:Save your money on a better company. If their method didn't work twice, switch up. Not criticizing, I just had the same experience as you, switched up, and had a big increase in my score. Adaptibar helped a lot for the MBE.

sparkytrainer wrote:If you didn't pass twice with their program, what makes you wanna try a third? Go do something different! (and much cheaper)


True...any other recommendations aside from AdaptiBar?


The recommendation is to attack your weakness. If it's MBE, then i'd vouch for adaptibar too. If writing is what is getting you, find a former bar grader and ask them to grade/analyze 20-40 essays. Take all of your state's released bar essays/questions and do them under test conditions. Stop paying barbri to watch videos...it's time to do some work.


Thank you for the advice! My biggest concern is I am not sure what type of study plan to set up day to day. Do you have any you would recommend?


That really depends on you. I used to study my outline, repeat a few times (that would take a few days per subject) read essays about that subject (as many as I could), make a checklist of issues to write essays (1-2 pages MAX), memorize it, read Emanuel's S&T for that subject, do Emanuel's questions on that subject, rinse and repeat for every subject. Once the first subject is done, I used to do every day 10-20 questions on Adaptibar of that subject until I can move onto the next one. Then, once the MBE subjects are all over, start to do mixed questions every day.

User avatar
GoldenPuppy

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby GoldenPuppy » Sun May 27, 2018 11:08 pm

FYI: it seems the jig's up. Probably thanks to the pinned thread on this subject.

BARBRI would not negotiate, other than by offering public interest pricing. (I paid $2,000.)

I didn't push Themis much, but same thing, public interest pricing only.

In retrospect, I'm glad I waited three years before signing on the dotted line with BARBRI, but those in the class of 2021 and later should consider that the spectrum of possibilities has apparently dwindled to 2: either the price won't change at all or the price will go up on you. Starting with this year, if you're able to get public interest pricing, that might be the way to go. Of course, if there's an economic recession, they'll most likely start negotiating again because they'll want to make their mortgage payments and such.

Edit: Forgot to mention that they agreed to waive the book deposit fee ($250?).

nixy

Bronze
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby nixy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:08 am

Were you negotiating with them just recently? Because it makes sense to me that they're not going to negotiate if you haven't yet signed up for this summer's course - they're going to know you don't have a lot of time/options left and can hold firm. I would imagine it's still possible to negotiate if you start earlier in law school. (If you did that, well, never mind.)

Edit: I'm confused why you're negotiating with Barbri when you're also getting LORs to apply for school?

michaelt

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby michaelt » Mon May 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Sorry to hear that Barbri did not work out.

Interestingly that Barbri has just discontinued their "Study Smart MBE" feature, so their students no longer can practice MBE questions by selecting particular MBE topics, mixing MBE topics they want to focus on, specifying a number of questions to practice, or focusing only on those questions that were answered wrong in the past. This is a huge disappointment for repeaters who failed the February exam and now have to use the guarantee. Obviously it is even more disappointment for those who take Barbri for the first time as they can never use "Study Smart MBE" at all. Understandably, this is excellent news for Adaptibar. Now Adaptibar is a must for the Barbri students.

I totally agree with the previous posters that since Barbri did not work out twice in the past, it is time to move on.

For those interested in a $45 discount for Adaptibar, please contact me at adaptibar_referral@yahoo.com.

JD28

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby JD28 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Hey- I passed the UBE with a 287... highly recommend Studicata... here is a link to check it out ! Feel free to reach out to me with any questions https://studicata.samcart.com/referral/ ... AiZnb6rIEr

User avatar
GoldenPuppy

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby GoldenPuppy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:08 am

nixy wrote:Were you negotiating with them just recently? Because it makes sense to me that they're not going to negotiate if you haven't yet signed up for this summer's course - they're going to know you don't have a lot of time/options left and can hold firm. I would imagine it's still possible to negotiate if you start earlier in law school. (If you did that, well, never mind.)

Edit: I'm confused why you're negotiating with Barbri when you're also getting LORs to apply for school?


Yes, just recently.

LOL -- I'm not -- check out the dates (time stamps).

nixy

Bronze
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Negotiating with Barbri?

Postby nixy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:47 am

Oops! Lol. My total bad. Sorry!

(I do think negotiating works better the further out you are from the exam - they know at this point you’re kind of stuck.)



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: akihoyz, elizabeta, Ramis00 and 66 guests