Torn between BarMax MBE prep and Adaptibar MBE prep Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
satelliteskin

New

Torn between BarMax MBE prep and Adaptibar MBE prep

Post by satelliteskin » Mon May 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your input on what program you'd recommend - either the BarMax Prep which costs a cool $299 or the AdaptiBar program that's $395 but comes with all four (4) of the NCBE mbe practice exams? I just took the February bar and while my essay grades were strong/above average - my mbe fell flat. I used Themis last summer and this summer to no avail, I failed the first time by 10 points and this past February by 3 points. I decided to take studying into my own hands and really focus on the MBE and use all my outlines/books from Themis to study for the substantive Pennsylvania subjects and distinctions.

Do you recommend I buy BarMax or Adaptibar? or both?

christinabear4

New

Re: Torn between BarMax MBE prep and Adaptibar MBE prep

Post by christinabear4 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 pm

I quite like Adaptibar. The questions seem to test on multiple rules of law as well as nuances. The answer analysis is good. Adaptibar seems to be popular in the forums. I use Barbri questions too, which are written a bit differently and seem to cover different things. I also like Strategies and Tactics by Emanual. I will be starting Kaplan's MBE questions soon so maybe I can post again about those. I got a good discount by calling the Kaplan representative to go with their course. I can't speak to Barmax.
My study strategy will be to create my outline from bar review questions and answers.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 am

satelliteskin wrote:Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your input on what program you'd recommend - either the BarMax Prep which costs a cool $299 or the AdaptiBar program that's $395 but comes with all four (4) of the NCBE mbe practice exams? I just took the February bar and while my essay grades were strong/above average - my mbe fell flat. I used Themis last summer and this summer to no avail, I failed the first time by 10 points and this past February by 3 points. I decided to take studying into my own hands and really focus on the MBE and use all my outlines/books from Themis to study for the substantive Pennsylvania subjects and distinctions.

Do you recommend I buy BarMax or Adaptibar? or both?

I have used both.

If I could only have one, I would say BarMax.

What the programs come down to is offering the previously released NCBE questions (Civ Pro being simulated questions) along with answer explanations and tracking tools. What will set the two part is that BarMax (at a cheaper price) will include "skeleton outlines" and audio lectures for all of the MBE subjects. You can purchase lectures to supplement your Adaptibar, but that is an added cost.

Adaptibar does have the better tracking and analytics between the two programs, but BarMax is improving with how they track your previous results. This is a key to using the programs effectively, you need to recognize strengths/weaknesses so that you can focus your studying as time goes by on weak areas. It also helps to review the NCBE MBE outline where the NCBE explicitly states the rough percentage of questions that will come from each section of the outline, there are clearly "main areas" for nearly every subject that you definitely want to master prior to focusing on more nuanced sections.

I personally really enjoyed the BarMax lectures, I thought they were deep enough to be useful but not so long or nuanced that I couldn't get through a few a day. At 1.5X or 2.0X speed I could get through a number of lectures a day and get through them multiple times prior to the exam. When combined with other outlines and texts I had I was able to listen, read and apply concepts which lead to success.

vandyclark

New

Post by vandyclark » Fri May 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Avoid Adaptibar. They are extremely nasty to customers. I was trying to refer friends from a study group but the codes weren’t working. I asked them what was up & they accused me of trying to scam them & basically said I had no right to be an attorney. AVOID ADAPTIBAR

kingkonglaw

New

Post by kingkonglaw » Sun May 13, 2018 11:42 am

Woah vandy! That’s pretty gnarly!

If you don’t mind me asking, what codes were you trying to use? Like discount codes or was it like an affiliate referral program?

Just curious as I usually sing their praises to people but maybe want to be a bit more careful... :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:40 pm

When comparing between BarMax and Adaptibar, make sure you get all four OPM Exams and the two Study Aids. These are what's recommended by the NCBE, not the 1800 old practice questions. If you don't have them, you don't have what you need. BarMax's web site is unclear. I won't say they are being deceptive, but it appears they advertise a $100 cheaper service, and then you don't get them. From my read of things, this actually makes Adaptibar cheaper. However, BarMax is a lifetime membership if you pay full boat and don't use the last minute coupon, Adaptibar isn't. Also, BarMax analytics are supposed to have improved. I also didn't see an ability to even get all the OPM Exams but maybe they are available?
Do not rely on my observations, check out their web sites yourself, however if you don't study the four OPM Exams and two Study Aids, you are doing this wrong. Call them, tell them what you want, and get a solid price.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:56 pm

I just took my second bar exam and used BarMax; the first time around (July 2015) I used Adaptibar + Themis (which was duplicative, since Themis uses the NCBE questions as well, but I didn't realize that, and I was getting reimbursed for bar expenses so I ended up buying some junk I never used like lean sheets, flash cards, etc.).

I went with BarMax this time because their MBE only package gives you lifetime access to all the MBE questions and explanations, including OPE 1-4, which are by far the most important set to have access to. I was annoyed that Adaptibar wanted almost full price just for me to access the MBE package I had with them three years ago. In the end, I liked adaptibar's website much more, but the explanations for each of the two were on par. Adaptibar's website is slicker, but BarMax gives you enough analytics to tell you what subareas you are doing poorly on, and that's really all I cared about. Hopefully I'll never have to sit for the bar again, but if I do I can use BarMax for free. That was enough for me to go with them. I didn't have any access to their lectures or outlines or anything like that though, so can't vouch for them.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm

anon sequitur wrote:I just took my second bar exam and used BarMax; the first time around (July 2015) I used Adaptibar + Themis (which was duplicative, since Themis uses the NCBE questions as well, but I didn't realize that, and I was getting reimbursed for bar expenses so I ended up buying some junk I never used like lean sheets, flash cards, etc.).

I went with BarMax this time because their MBE only package gives you lifetime access to all the MBE questions and explanations, including OPE 1-4, which are by far the most important set to have access to. I was annoyed that Adaptibar wanted almost full price just for me to access the MBE package I had with them three years ago. In the end, I liked adaptibar's website much more, but the explanations for each of the two were on par. Adaptibar's website is slicker, but BarMax gives you enough analytics to tell you what subareas you are doing poorly on, and that's really all I cared about. Hopefully I'll never have to sit for the bar again, but if I do I can use BarMax for free. That was enough for me to go with them. I didn't have any access to their lectures or outlines or anything like that though, so can't vouch for them.
I used Adaptibar this time around. How did your actual scores compare with your Adaptibar practice scores?

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Smiddywesson wrote:
I used Adaptibar this time around. How did your actual scores compare with your Adaptibar practice scores?
I passed in a state which doesn't release scores so I don't really know how I did on the MBE. However, I barely studied at all for the essays, so could only have passed based on my MBE score. I averaged lower mid-70's overall, higher mid-70's the last couple of weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:59 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
Smiddywesson wrote:
I passed in a state which doesn't release scores so I don't really know how I did on the MBE. However, I barely studied at all for the essays, so could only have passed based on my MBE score. I averaged lower mid-70's overall, higher mid-70's the last couple of weeks.
Amid the gloom, the clouds part, and at last there is hope. I was around 92% at the two week mark, which is good, but I didn't study much for the essays either. Then my computer crashed. Then I didn't know the core issue of two of the state essays. Then everybody told me Adaptibar questions sucked a wet noodle. Then every night I go to bed thinking "The MBE is only 40%, so you very well could have dug a hole so deep you can't win with the MBE, LOSER." Thank you, I needed that slap in the face. There's 25 days left, this is horrible. :D

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:46 am

Both programs are quite good. That isn't meant to dodge the question; it's just that I think you won't be going wrong with ordering either of them. If it's true that Adaptibar has more questions then I'd point you in that direction even if it's a bit more costly, assuming you can swing the extra price.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”