THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Auxilio

Silver

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Post by Auxilio » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:29 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Great45 wrote:Any confirmation that Mixed Set 17 was the same across the board for everyone? Did well enough (I guess) on 17, but did 18 right after and COMPLETELY BLEW IT. I was thinking of just swearing off MBE questions until exam day, but I can't let that be my last performance ahead of the exam, can I? Yikes.
Guy didn't respond to me. Not really sure I understand why set 17 would randomly be the same across all learners when the other sets have been random.

Have we confirmed they are random? I haven't done 17 yet but for set 16 these are my (seven) civ pro questions for someone to compare to.

SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION
1:33 2 of 2
Diversity Jurisdiction 1:33 2 of 2
As a benefit to his employees, a small business owner in State A offered to...
1:00
A woman received a facial rejuvenation treatment. During the treatment, the...
0:33
PERSONAL JURISDICTION
2:04 2 of 2
In General 1:10 1 of 1
A plaintiff properly sued a defendant in federal district court in State A...
1:10
In Personam Jurisdiction 0:54 1 of 1
The defendant lives in State A. He commutes to work in nearby State B, where...
0:54
CHOICE OF LAW: THE ERIE DOCTRINE
0:57 1 of 1
Substance Versus Procedure 0:57 1 of 1
A child was injured by a neighbor’s dog after the dog attacked her in her own...
0:57
TRIAL PROCEDURE
0:41 1 of 1
Jury Trial 0:41 1 of 1
At the conclusion of a relatively uncomplicated negligence action based on...
0:41
POST-TRIAL PROCEDURE
0:55 1 of 1
Issue Preclusion (Collateral Estoppel) 0:55 1 of 1
A man seeking to cover his bald spot purchased a toupee from a reputable...
0:55

jawaharlaw nehru

New

Post by jawaharlaw nehru » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:34 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Great45 wrote:Any confirmation that Mixed Set 17 was the same across the board for everyone? Did well enough (I guess) on 17, but did 18 right after and COMPLETELY BLEW IT. I was thinking of just swearing off MBE questions until exam day, but I can't let that be my last performance ahead of the exam, can I? Yikes.
Guy didn't respond to me. Not really sure I understand why set 17 would randomly be the same across all learners when the other sets have been random.
Part of a small group that's doing them together. The others (including 18 and 19) have all been different for us. Some questions overlap, of course, but not identical. 17 was the same, all 100 questions. Don't know why either (maybe because it was 100 questions, kind of more like the practice exams).

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:36 pm

jawaharlaw nehru wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Part of a small group that's doing them together. The others (including 18 and 19) have all been different for us. Some questions overlap, of course, but not identical. 17 was the same, all 100 questions. Don't know why either (maybe because it was 100 questions, kind of more like the practice exams).
My 17 is only 50 questions. There is a 100 question set, but it's actually unnumbered (and placed between 12 and 13 on list).

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Auxilio wrote:
jawaharlaw nehru wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
My 17 is only 50 questions. There is a 100 question set, but it's actually unnumbered (and placed between 12 and 13 on list).
Weird. My unnumbered 100 question set is between mixed set 4 and 5.

jawaharlaw nehru

New

Post by jawaharlaw nehru » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Must vary by state then. Would still guess that the 100-question set is consistent for everyone, but I don't have anything to back that up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Great45

New

Post by Great45 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 pm

smile0751 wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
jawaharlaw nehru wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Weird. My unnumbered 100 question set is between mixed set 4 and 5.
Same. My 100 question set came several weeks ago.

Itwasascam

New

Post by Itwasascam » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Is it too early to stop studying

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:27 pm

I just finished session 6 (really annoying question about intended third party beneficiaries and detrimental reliance re suing on breach of K) and noticed that the goal was 70%.

How high does the goal get at the end of the sessions?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Findedeux wrote:I just finished session 6 (really annoying question about intended third party beneficiaries and detrimental reliance re suing on breach of K) and noticed that the goal was 70%.

How high does the goal get at the end of the sessions?
I think it's 70 throughout.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:35 pm

I am very confused about Rule 20 permissive joinder and Rule 24 intervenor. Seems like both are joining plaintiffs. Could anyone explain me what the real difference is?

bananaphone

New

Post by bananaphone » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 pm

deacon wrote:I am very confused about Rule 20 permissive joinder and Rule 24 intervenor. Seems like both are joining plaintiffs. Could anyone explain me what the real difference is?
Interveners have to satisfy the same diversity/amount requirements as a normal plaintiff, but permissive joinder can happen even if the amount of controversy is not enough.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:44 pm

MGH1989 wrote:I was looking at Con law questions for my state and one of them was about basically redrawing school district lines in a city to have a more equal representation of races among the schools in the district. How would I answer a question like this? Can you apply racial gerrymandering rules to this, or would I just answer it like an affirmative action question and apply strict scrutiny?
I think this is one of the weirdly specific con law questions. I believe it's actually about congruent and proportional remedies. I believe a prior Supreme Court case has said that busing within a district is okay because it is congruent and proportional, but busing between districts is not. That could apply to a redistricting question. Without knowing that case, though, I dont know how else you could reason yourself to that answer.

RickRawse

New

Post by RickRawse » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Does anyone know if there's a safe number of mixed sets you should get through before feeling a little safe? Just got through 11 plus the 100-question set and then PT4 destroyed me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Is anyone else still encountering new MBE concepts they have never before encountered? I'm on set 19 and I just got 3 questions in a row on things I have never even heard of before. This is freaking me tf out for Wednesday

RecruiterMan

New

Post by RecruiterMan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:31 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:Is anyone else still encountering new MBE concepts they have never before encountered? I'm on set 19 and I just got 3 questions in a row on things I have never even heard of before. This is freaking me tf out for Wednesday
yeah but I assume it's more of a matter of them having saved the obscure exceptions for the end rather than you not knowing enough to do ok on the real thing

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:43 pm

RecruiterMan wrote:
BlueLaw11 wrote:Is anyone else still encountering new MBE concepts they have never before encountered? I'm on set 19 and I just got 3 questions in a row on things I have never even heard of before. This is freaking me tf out for Wednesday
yeah but I assume it's more of a matter of them having saved the obscure exceptions for the end rather than you not knowing enough to do ok on the real thing
That's a good point. Thanks, nice to know I'm not alone

CBlaw

New

Post by CBlaw » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Well folks I am traveling to my bar location tommorow morning. I likely will be done with this thread. With that said, Good Luck to everyone!! We got this!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:13 pm

At this point I am more concerned with memorizing as much as I can for MEE questions.
I crunched all the essay pq's down to one page statements of law and have grouped them together, then crunched them down even more. Hopefully that' a good strategy.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 pm

anybody else feel unprepared but also feel like they no longer care?

At 97.5% completion. Have 3 more essays that themis recommends we outline. I should probably write them out in full but I kind of don't care anymore.

Tala29

New

Post by Tala29 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 pm

I am actually really concerned that I did not practice more than 2 MPTS during the whole course - one persuasive and the other and objective memo.

Is this going to be a big problem? Should I do some tomorrow maybe?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:03 pm

Tala29 wrote:I am actually really concerned that I did not practice more than 2 MPTS during the whole course - one persuasive and the other and objective memo.

I couldn't get the effort up to practice CPT to be honest. I outlined two quickly, and then on the graded one I got 70/100 (for whatever Themis graders are worth). They honestly felt pretty straight forward to me to be honest. And I'm not sure how much value I'd get from practising more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:06 pm

I'm trying to learn Wills and Trusts.

Basically, have only done the lectures.

Then I have to outline a thousand essays, take practice exam #4, review all mbe subjects, and then outline half a dozen MPTs.

:D

jcwest

New

Post by jcwest » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 pm

I do not know what the CPT is but if its like the MPT... I too have only done two. Got an 83% on the graded and have not looked back.

There is so much I do not know that I have decided to stop caring and trust I know enough to pass. Minimum competency folks. I'll be putting in 8 hours tomorrow and probably 6-8 on Monday because I can't not but I stopped at 4 today... which was still 7 hours. Felt great.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 pm

Tala29 wrote:I am actually really concerned that I did not practice more than 2 MPTS during the whole course - one persuasive and the other and objective memo.

I don't really feel prepared for the MPT because I always feel like I mess up the structuring or something, so I spent a couple hours today looking through all the sample MPTs Themis provided, along with the drafter's sheets and the sample answers. I didn't try to outline them or anything, just wanted to get a feel for the different types that can come up and how to structure them. They are kind of intense and time-consuming so I don't know if doing more at this point would be helpful, but looking through them at least made me feel a little less nervous.

1Abimrdjur3

New

Post by 1Abimrdjur3 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:03 pm

2 CA Evidence Questions if anyone can help:

1) Page 12 of the CA lecture notes that in a criminal case a "witness's" character can be bolstered without any attempt to impeach with reputation, opinion, and specific acts; the main outline just says criminal "defendant" - anyone know if it works for any witness or if just the defendant?

2) For public records, can police records be used against a criminal in CA? Page 26 of the lecture seems to indicate it, but I can't find anything to back it up in the outline.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”