THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BlueLaw11

Bronze

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Post by BlueLaw11 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Sooo any idea what a "passing" MPT answer looks like? These model answers are just unreal, I don't know how anyone can be that coherently organized in 90 minutes

rastajacob

New

Post by rastajacob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Law students studying for the Bar are an unrealistic bunch, LOL. Trust me, the MAJORITY of us are not going to be hitting the target percentages for MBE questions yet, WE DON"T KNOW enough of the Law yet, not to mention, Themis throws out a LOT of curve ball questions just so that you don't forget the "nuanced" areas of the subject you are drilling. Take a look at OFFICIALLY Licensed NCBE questions; they aren't as nuanced. Right now, on June 12 (the date of this post) we are where we are SUPPOSED to be...We will start to nail these questions that give us problems through study and repetition. I am using Themis, S&T and Critical Pass. That is MORE than enough (I would assume), and we just have to TRUST the crap process and not freak out if we do GREAT on one MBE PQ and Crap on the following one. In comparing Themis's questions with NCBE officially licensed questions, I find that I CRUSH the NCBE questions but struggle with the Themis ones. Trust me, they are doing this to force us to study more and not overlook the nuanced areas (BY CHANCE that they may throw a question like it on the REAL THING !!). I Have kicked around paying for Adaptibar (Love that program, used a friend of mines when he was studying for the February Bar) and it is GREAT, but I dunno if I want to drop that extra cash down right now with all of the Themis and Emmanuel's questions I have right now. My suggestion....CHILL, absorb the information, trust yourself and be diligent. We will get through this....Rant OVER !! Cheers mates !!

rastajacob

New

Post by rastajacob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:01 pm

juliejul wrote:I haven't read the whole thread, but I just wanted to pop in with my own Themis experience/pep talk.

I used Themis to study for the Feb '18 UBE. I graduated law school in 2010 and passed the CA bar after taking Barbri, but I felt like I was pretty much starting from scratch this time due to the time that had passed since law school and my last exam. Debated using a bar prep program vs. studying myself, but ended up getting the public interest discount with Themis (I'm clerking) so I gave it a shot.

I started early, around Thanksgiving, because I was working full-time (9-5 with no evenings/weekends luckily) and have a toddler at home. I took the Friday and Monday before the exam off work (and stopped studying around noon on Monday, got a massage, and had a nice meal), but that was it. I could have taken more unpaid time, but I figured if I wasn't prepared a week before the exam, that extra week of studying probably wouldn't help me.

In the beginning I just did as much as I could when I could, then starting around January my schedule was: study during lunch at work (~1 hour), study from ~7:30-10:30pm-ish, then study on the weekends from about 6am-midday, so I could have the rest of the afternoon for family time. I definitely took some days off studying, and studied for less time on some days, but overall I was pretty disciplined. I'm not going to lie, it sucked and I was super worn down toward the end. I realized how spoiled I was studying the first time, when I got to study full-time with no major family distractions, with a study stipend from my firm.

I basically made up my own schedule rather than following the suggested Themis schedule - I found that it was more effective for me to watch lectures/outline on the weekends, and do practice questions during the week. I was able to complete most of the program (I think I ended up over 85% but I don't actually remember) - with the caveat that I didn't actually read ANY of the long outlines because I have a hard time retaining information that way (I just checked them off to get my % completion up). At a certain point I also stopped filling in the lecture handouts, and instead typed up my own outlines as I was watching the lectures to help retain the information. Toward the end of my study time, I reviewed my outlines and condensed them into very short summaries of information I was having a hard time retaining. For the most part I didn't write out many full essays, just outlined them. I did quite a few practice MPT's, because I figured this was an area I could score some easy points on if I was well-prepared. I didn't use any other bar prep materials because I just didn't have the time.

I didn't do terribly well on the graded practice essays, and my MBE practice sets were typically in the 60-65% range.

I ended up with a 323 on the UBE (160.6 MBE). I've always done really well on standardized tests (sorry to be that obnoxious person) but I was honestly pretty surprised how high I scored, given that I didn't feel overly prepared.

So - long story short - I didn't study full time, and still managed to over-study. I felt like Themis prepared me really well in the relatively limited time I had to study. If you're not scoring very well on the practices, it's really not the end of the world, just keep chugging along and don't panic.

Wish I would have seen this before my previous, above post...I TOTALLY Agree with this..Thank you for the kind information..!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:21 pm

You guys weren't kidding. This evidence lecturer sucks.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:29 pm

rastajacob wrote:Law students studying for the Bar are an unrealistic bunch, LOL. Trust me, the MAJORITY of us are not going to be hitting the target percentages for MBE questions yet, WE DON"T KNOW enough of the Law yet, not to mention, Themis throws out a LOT of curve ball questions just so that you don't forget the "nuanced" areas of the subject you are drilling. Take a look at OFFICIALLY Licensed NCBE questions; they aren't as nuanced. Right now, on June 12 (the date of this post) we are where we are SUPPOSED to be...We will start to nail these questions that give us problems through study and repetition. I am using Themis, S&T and Critical Pass. That is MORE than enough (I would assume), and we just have to TRUST the crap process and not freak out if we do GREAT on one MBE PQ and Crap on the following one. In comparing Themis's questions with NCBE officially licensed questions, I find that I CRUSH the NCBE questions but struggle with the Themis ones. Trust me, they are doing this to force us to study more and not overlook the nuanced areas (BY CHANCE that they may throw a question like it on the REAL THING !!). I Have kicked around paying for Adaptibar (Love that program, used a friend of mines when he was studying for the February Bar) and it is GREAT, but I dunno if I want to drop that extra cash down right now with all of the Themis and Emmanuel's questions I have right now. My suggestion....CHILL, absorb the information, trust yourself and be diligent. We will get through this....Rant OVER !! Cheers mates !!
I agree with your general sentiment but is "chill and trust the process" really in line with "I am using Themis, S&T, and Critical Pass" and considering getting a fourth tool.

Part of the anxiety probably comes from people (myself included) who are only using Themis and considering getting another tool.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2015_Splitter

New

Post by 2015_Splitter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 pm

studying4bar wrote:
2015_Splitter wrote:
Interesting update: I just got my second response via the message center and was sent the completed and allegedly appropriately phrased/worded pdf so I guess I do not need to e-mail the director because now I have two handouts - one from my cousin and one from Themis with this new lecturer.

I don't even need to look at it, and I can almost guarantee it's the same handout that was available to through the link next to the video lectures. If I'm wrong though and you have a better outline, please share the love.
Hmm. The handout next to the lecture that was updated/the handout in the handout library have blanks in them, for me. I am saying that they sent me a pdf with the correct phrasing/blanks filled in. Is that available to you already? It hasn't shown up for me.
Ah, no that's not available. Looks like they gave you a filled out lecture handout.

juliejul

New

Post by juliejul » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 pm

IMO, no one *needs* more than one study program. It seems like an expensive way to lose focus.

Granted, everyone is different, but at this point in your educational career you know what type of studying works for you. Any one of the big programs has all of the information you need, and more than enough materials to fill your entire study time. I think success comes from figuring out a way to retain and organize the information, which only you really know.

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:57 pm

2015_Splitter wrote:
studying4bar wrote:
2015_Splitter wrote:
Interesting update: I just got my second response via the message center and was sent the completed and allegedly appropriately phrased/worded pdf so I guess I do not need to e-mail the director because now I have two handouts - one from my cousin and one from Themis with this new lecturer.

I don't even need to look at it, and I can almost guarantee it's the same handout that was available to through the link next to the video lectures. If I'm wrong though and you have a better outline, please share the love.
Hmm. The handout next to the lecture that was updated/the handout in the handout library have blanks in them, for me. I am saying that they sent me a pdf with the correct phrasing/blanks filled in. Is that available to you already? It hasn't shown up for me.
Ah, no that's not available. Looks like they gave you a filled out lecture handout.
Ok so all you have to do is resend your message to customer service and complain about the lecturer and they should send it to you. Alternatively, you could call customer service and possibly have a faster turnaround time, but I was told that there was a meeting or decision made due to the number of complaints received, but it sounded to be a very recent development, likely after you sent your messages in. You could also just be blunt and say you know of said decision and due to the lecturer and handout inconsistencies want the filled out pdf.

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:57 pm

dabigchina wrote:You guys weren't kidding. This evidence lecturer sucks.
Yeah, see my above post

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:11 pm

Auxilio wrote:
rastajacob wrote:Law students studying for the Bar are an unrealistic bunch, LOL. Trust me, the MAJORITY of us are not going to be hitting the target percentages for MBE questions yet, WE DON"T KNOW enough of the Law yet, not to mention, Themis throws out a LOT of curve ball questions just so that you don't forget the "nuanced" areas of the subject you are drilling. Take a look at OFFICIALLY Licensed NCBE questions; they aren't as nuanced. Right now, on June 12 (the date of this post) we are where we are SUPPOSED to be...We will start to nail these questions that give us problems through study and repetition. I am using Themis, S&T and Critical Pass. That is MORE than enough (I would assume), and we just have to TRUST the crap process and not freak out if we do GREAT on one MBE PQ and Crap on the following one. In comparing Themis's questions with NCBE officially licensed questions, I find that I CRUSH the NCBE questions but struggle with the Themis ones. Trust me, they are doing this to force us to study more and not overlook the nuanced areas (BY CHANCE that they may throw a question like it on the REAL THING !!). I Have kicked around paying for Adaptibar (Love that program, used a friend of mines when he was studying for the February Bar) and it is GREAT, but I dunno if I want to drop that extra cash down right now with all of the Themis and Emmanuel's questions I have right now. My suggestion....CHILL, absorb the information, trust yourself and be diligent. We will get through this....Rant OVER !! Cheers mates !!
I agree with your general sentiment but is "chill and trust the process" really in line with "I am using Themis, S&T, and Critical Pass" and considering getting a fourth tool.

Part of the anxiety probably comes from people (myself included) who are only using Themis and considering getting another tool.
So I think the...rant could have been phrased better and makes a lot of statements that sound conclusory and it's a bit long of a manifesto that overgeneralizes us examinees as a group.

However I find both of your points a bit out of line. I have given advice on things I know that are concrete, direct personal knowledge, and some things regarding my state's component because I already took and passed it but- and correct me if I am wrong- it sounds as though both of you are examinees.

I dont think there is anything wrong with supplements OR with doing "just" a program - it has been said here and in lectures that everyone studies and or learns differently. So my non justiciable advisory opinion is to stop giving each other or additional examinees advice until such a time as you take and pass the exam.

Finally, I have seen and heard of people trying to overprepare and purchase too many supplements which overloads them, and I have heard of people getting none or just one to ease anxiety and aid in understanding. Do what you think and feel is best for you. This isn't an exam on methodologies for studying for exams and the focus for all of us should be passing, right?

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 pm

Did the Themis website just change the graphic representation of the MBE PQ section?

My stuff is showing an overall total and sub-totals that I don't think was there a day or two ago.

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:05 am

Now I'm getting a bit concerned about my essay grades (received 2 on real property) and hit all the issues with IRAC except I didn't provide enough detail on my rule statements or analysis. "My answers are too conclusory." according to my grader. Is there any hope with Themis is giving me a 2 yet I hit all the issues and gave the correct conclusion? I guess I'll add more detail or prepare better rule statements but unless my next essays are above 2s, not sure why I'm even sitting for this exam. FML

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 am

gladiator0flaw11 wrote:Now I'm getting a bit concerned about my essay grades (received 2 on real property) and hit all the issues with IRAC except I didn't provide enough detail on my rule statements or analysis. "My answers are too conclusory." according to my grader. Is there any hope with Themis is giving me a 2 yet I hit all the issues and gave the correct conclusion? I guess I'll add more detail or prepare better rule statements but unless my next essays are above 2s, not sure why I'm even sitting for this exam. FML

What is your essay out of?

I just scored a 3/7 on an ohio essay where I hit almost all of the points. I was also "too conclusory" and didn't analyze well. I felt like I prob deserved better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 am

gladiator0flaw11 wrote:Now I'm getting a bit concerned about my essay grades (received 2 on real property) and hit all the issues with IRAC except I didn't provide enough detail on my rule statements or analysis. "My answers are too conclusory." according to my grader. Is there any hope with Themis is giving me a 2 yet I hit all the issues and gave the correct conclusion? I guess I'll add more detail or prepare better rule statements but unless my next essays are above 2s, not sure why I'm even sitting for this exam. FML
If it makes you feel better most of my essay scores on Themis were 2 or 3 out of 6. Maybe I got the occasional 4. but I scored in the 89th percentile in Feb 2018. I would say two things:

a) Themis is probably grading them harder than they'll be graded on the bar. If you IRAC, issue spot and address counter arguments, you'll be fine. I'm not sure about the conclusory statements but maybe you need to be less black and white? Eg it's better to state that an outcome is 'likely', and then to give the counter argument, rather than just the black/white conclusion. But I have no idea.

b) You don't really need to worry too much about essay practice. Personally, I didn't write too many full essays. instead, I issue spotted, made some dot points, and also printed out all the model answers (which I highlighted, marked up, and memorized). Essays can be a waste of time sometimes. So anyway, obviously you need to do the graded essays, but as long as you're hitting the main points I wouldn't worry too much about low grades at this stage.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:11 am

I agree. The NCBE questions are pretty similar to Themis (personally I didn't notice a difference. I even bought some NCBE questions, and I found much of the NCBE questions I had already done in Themis). I scored generally around 65% on my Themis PQs, but got 75% correct in Feb 2018 (or 85th percentile). So that suggests to me that Themis questions are slightly harder, and will prepare you well for game day. Just trust the process and don't freak out (but I understand about freaking out, because I can assure you I spent much of my study time freaking out and posting frantic messages on the Themis Feb 2018 thread!).

Good luck!

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 am

Neilt001 wrote:
I agree. The NCBE questions are pretty similar to Themis (personally I didn't notice a difference. I even bought some NCBE questions, and I found much of the NCBE questions I had already done in Themis). I scored generally around 65% on my Themis PQs, but got 75% correct in Feb 2018 (or 85th percentile). So that suggests to me that Themis questions are slightly harder, and will prepare you well for game day. Just trust the process and don't freak out (but I understand about freaking out, because I can assure you I spent much of my study time freaking out and posting frantic messages on the Themis Feb 2018 thread!).

Good luck!
So Neil, you passed February UBE and just need to do a state part or did you do well on the essays and get burned elsewhere/retake? Because I got the exact mbe score they tell you to shoot for and did well on the MEEs but my MPTs were something like 15 points lower than my MEE essay average and i barely failed. Let me tell you, retaking the course is so painful.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:07 pm

studying4bar wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

Good luck!
So Neil, you passed February UBE and just need to do a state part or did you do well on the essays and get burned elsewhere/retake? Because I got the exact mbe score they tell you to shoot for and did well on the MEEs but my MPTs were something like 15 points lower than my MEE essay average and i barely failed. Let me tell you, retaking the course is so painful.
Oh jesus, that's so rough. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm surprised you nailed the MBE study and essays, but still managed not to pass. can't believe the MPTs were the deciding factor.

I did pass both parts: UBE and MEE/MPT day. NY Feb 18 (NY doesn't have a separate state part - aside from their open book state exam which I'm writing tmrw!!! :? ).

Anything you can do to increase your MPT? That's usually the easiest part. Did you write in Feb 2018 too? That second MPT was awful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CBlaw

New

Post by CBlaw » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Do the MBE questions get harder the farther into the practice sets. Almost every practice set I kill the beginning and then do terrible on the later questions. For example this last Civ Pro set. I got the first 11 in a row correct. Then bombed the second half essentially and ended up with only 61% correct.

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:35 pm

^^ to the above poster, I have noticed on some of the practice sets that my scores have declined. I've noticed it seems like as you hit the later practice sets, the problems have a greater tendency to test some of the more random nuances of the law.

Also, to anyone else taking the CA bar, the CA evidence professor is WAYY better than the MBE evidence prof

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Why does the evidence lecturer have two pairs of glasses...? It's the little things that distract me

sproutz

New

Post by sproutz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:16 pm

CBlaw wrote:Do the MBE questions get harder the farther into the practice sets. Almost every practice set I kill the beginning and then do terrible on the later questions. For example this last Civ Pro set. I got the first 11 in a row correct. Then bombed the second half essentially and ended up with only 61% correct.
You can see the difficulty of each question if you click on it when you're viewing your results at the end of a set. All of the sets that I've done have been pretty well-mixed. I honestly think that this kind of slide is due to losing focus/concentration after an extended period of time. I notice it myself, that even if I still feel focused, I'm more likely to read too quickly and make stupid mistakes. I think a big part of practice is also just training your mind to stay sharp through 200 straight questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 pm

ithrowds wrote:^^ to the above poster, I have noticed on some of the practice sets that my scores have declined. I've noticed it seems like as you hit the later practice sets, the problems have a greater tendency to test some of the more random nuances of the law.

Also, to anyone else taking the CA bar, the CA evidence professor is WAYY better than the MBE evidence prof
Yeah, she actually teaches rather than rambling about people she's prosecuted.

abogado2018

New

Post by abogado2018 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:12 pm

sproutz wrote:
CBlaw wrote:Do the MBE questions get harder the farther into the practice sets. Almost every practice set I kill the beginning and then do terrible on the later questions. For example this last Civ Pro set. I got the first 11 in a row correct. Then bombed the second half essentially and ended up with only 61% correct.
You can see the difficulty of each question if you click on it when you're viewing your results at the end of a set. All of the sets that I've done have been pretty well-mixed. I honestly think that this kind of slide is due to losing focus/concentration after an extended period of time. I notice it myself, that even if I still feel focused, I'm more likely to read too quickly and make stupid mistakes. I think a big part of practice is also just training your mind to stay sharp through 200 straight questions.
You're not kidding. Evidence set 1: 60%, set 2: 70% set 3.....47% jesus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 pm

What is everyone doing to drill down on memorizing elements? That is where I am really falling short. Reading these big ass detailed outlines isn't doing anything for my overall retention.

Also to hell with these model essays. No way most of them were written under 30 minutes.

l18

New

Post by l18 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:37 am

MGH1989 wrote:What is everyone doing to drill down on memorizing elements? That is where I am really falling short. Reading these big ass detailed outlines isn't doing anything for my overall retention.

Also to hell with these model essays. No way most of them were written under 30 minutes.
Agree with you on both...

I got the critical pass flash cards but haven't used them yet. My plan is to study one subject per night (after I do all the themis stuff during the day) over the four weeks before the exam to memorize those subjects.

I hate to be negative but the amount of memorization is really scary, doesn't matter how many people tell me it's possible haha. Hopefully, my plan works at least for the MBE portion. The essay portion is even scarier since I don't have a solid plan - don't have time to make flashcards myself.

As others have said, I think writing down the rules when doing MBE questions, especially for the ones you missed, is helpful for memory retention. Read the last couple of pages.

Currently, I am copying each answer for every MBE question into a word file (crazy, I know) and plan to hand write the rules later time permitting. Since I am behind the themis schedule copying them, for now, is much quicker.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”