THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawworld19

Bronze

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Post by Lawworld19 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:23 pm

That 144 min in CA is rough. Jeez

LawIsLyfe33

New

Post by LawIsLyfe33 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:
thisyearsgirl wrote:Oof, just took the free NCBE questions and got 13/21. I'm glad everyone else found it rough too b/c boy, it was rough.....

Everyone on here got a 12-14 out of 21 besides a few outliers it seems. What would you all say is the "average scaled mbe score" for themis takers. 138-142 maybe?
Gotta be higher. I'd guess like 145-150

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:02 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Definitely think the mixed MBE sets are getting harder. There are always several questions per set that touch on issues I've never seen before (especially in Con Law and RP). I'm 2000+ questions in, this shouldn't be happening.

The question breakdown (ie. % covering each topic within the subject) is not even close to what was discussed in the MBE Workshop vids (the ones with Lisa Tucker). There's a lot more obscure stuff than the main areas the videos tell you to focus on.

I don't know if that's because the videos are wrong, or if it's intentional to make us more prepared...
The most surprising thing in this post was the fact that you sat through Lisa Tucker's MBE workshop vids.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Ha! Just the first 5 minutes when she does the overview.

smiles123

Bronze

Post by smiles123 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 pm

He ya'll. Checking in. Sort of late in the game.

Curious what people's approaches are for the PTs. I STRUGGLE to finish in the 90 mins. It's always rushed and am always leaving out huge areas I know I should hit in an effort to finish in time. I'm not really sure what I should do. Its been the same since day 1. The essays in general are a crunch, put especially the PTs since I'm an incredibly slow reader. What sort of strategies have been working for people?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcwest

New

Post by jcwest » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 pm

smiles123 wrote:He ya'll. Checking in. Sort of late in the game.

Curious what people's approaches are for the PTs. I STRUGGLE to finish in the 90 mins. It's always rushed and am always leaving out huge areas I know I should hit in an effort to finish in time. I'm not really sure what I should do. Its been the same since day 1. The essays in general are a crunch, put especially the PTs since I'm an incredibly slow reader. What sort of strategies have been working for people?
Not being sarcastic, but did you watch the MPT strategy video? I utilized his strategies and am generally down to the wire but have gotten everything I needed in.

barprep2018

New

Post by barprep2018 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:My mixed set # 14 was the hardest yet. Don't even want to say my score.
For me too!!! 56%!!!!!

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:00 pm

barprep2018 wrote:
Lawworld19 wrote:My mixed set # 14 was the hardest yet. Don't even want to say my score.
For me too!!! 56%!!!!!

I didn't even make THAT many dumb mistakes. Maybe 2. There were just questions I did not know and I would not have gotten on the real exam to be frank.

barprep2018

New

Post by barprep2018 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:19 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:
barprep2018 wrote:
For me too!!! 56%!!!!!

I didn't even make THAT many dumb mistakes. Maybe 2. There were just questions I did not know and I would not have gotten on the real exam to be frank.
That was my first mixed set. Was awful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:26 pm

How far is everyone along with the percentage completed?

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 pm

barprep2018 wrote:
For me too!!! 56%!!!!!
I am now sure that these sets are randomized. I did %71 although I am generally in 60s. I wonder which of my mixed sets is your #14

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Who knows. Just want it to be over at this point. Will continue until test day, but am not going to stress anymore. Just will study during the day doing what I can. Then take the test in a relaxed manner.

CBlaw

New

Post by CBlaw » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 pm

deacon wrote:
barprep2018 wrote:
For me too!!! 56%!!!!!
I am now sure that these sets are randomized. I did %71 although I am generally in 60s. I wonder which of my mixed sets is your #14
yea I have been a solid low to mid 60 type person this whole time through themis. Since mixed set #9 i believe I have been scoring in the mid to high 70's. That set #14 I got an 83. Its actually annoying me cause they feel way easier than before and although a good confidence boost its not really helping me anymore I dont think. That 21 question set that someone posted was wayyyy harder.

Im sitting at 81.9% complete

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm at 88% but I skipped the long outlines and 2 speeded the MBE reviews and some other things. Also, I only write out the graded essays. All other essays I just read prompt following reading the answer. Might come back to bite me in the ass but we will see.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:55 pm

"A minor entered into a written contract with a grocery store in which the minor agreed to pay $75 a month in exchange for delivery of food items once a week to the minor's residence for a period of one year. For a couple of months, the minor paid the grocery store and the grocery store delivered the food each week. One month, the minor stopped paying the grocery store. The grocery store continued to deliver the food to the minor's residence despite the minor's nonpayment. At the end of two months of nonpayment, the grocery store contacted the minor and requested payment pursuant to the contract. In response, the minor communicated his disaffirmance of the contract. The grocery store then brought an action for breach of contract against the minor. It sought $150, the amount due under the contract.

Is the minor liable on the contract?"

Answers:

Correct Answer: Yes, but only for the reasonable value of the food and delivery service provided by the grocery store for two months.
Yes, in the amount of $150.
You Selected: No, because the minor disaffirmed the contract.
No, because the contract between the minor and the grocery store is void.

*****Am I missing something. The store can only sue in quasi-K because the it's a minor and voidable. There is no contract, thus the store cannot sue for "breach of contract" but only in restitution. Maybe I'm missing something. TCR is (A) per Themis. I have (c)

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 pm

BasilHallward wrote:"A minor entered into a written contract with a grocery store in which the minor agreed to pay $75 a month in exchange for delivery of food items once a week to the minor's residence for a period of one year. For a couple of months, the minor paid the grocery store and the grocery store delivered the food each week. One month, the minor stopped paying the grocery store. The grocery store continued to deliver the food to the minor's residence despite the minor's nonpayment. At the end of two months of nonpayment, the grocery store contacted the minor and requested payment pursuant to the contract. In response, the minor communicated his disaffirmance of the contract. The grocery store then brought an action for breach of contract against the minor. It sought $150, the amount due under the contract.

Answers:

Correct Answer: Yes, but only for the reasonable value of the food and delivery service provided by the grocery store for two months.

*****Am I missing something. The store can only sue in quasi-K because the it's a minor and voidable. There is no contract, thus the store cannot sue for "breach of contract" but only in restitution. Maybe I'm missing something. TCR is (A) per Themis. I have (c)
It's an exception. contracts with minors to provide necessities of life are enforceable, but only recover restitution damages (thus, FMV of provided).

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:05 pm

dabigchina wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:"A minor entered into a written contract with a grocery store in which the minor agreed to pay $75 a month in exchange for delivery of food items once a week to the minor's residence for a period of one year. For a couple of months, the minor paid the grocery store and the grocery store delivered the food each week. One month, the minor stopped paying the grocery store. The grocery store continued to deliver the food to the minor's residence despite the minor's nonpayment. At the end of two months of nonpayment, the grocery store contacted the minor and requested payment pursuant to the contract. In response, the minor communicated his disaffirmance of the contract. The grocery store then brought an action for breach of contract against the minor. It sought $150, the amount due under the contract.

Answers:

It's an exception. contracts with minors to provide necessities of life are enforceable, but only recover restitution damages (thus, FMV of provided).
Ok I guess it's a weird distinction to make, because I've always been under the impression (per Critical Pass Flashcards and Contracts class) that restitution is not a breach of contract claim; it's a claim in equity. But I'll trust Themis on this one I suppose

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MRSP

New

Post by MRSP » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:47 pm

97% got it wrong! Granted, it's a super-obscure rule that runs contrary to most of what we've learned about damages.[/quote]

What study module is that where you see how many got it wrong and the level of difficulty?

jcwest

New

Post by jcwest » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Does anyone else feel like they're running in circles? Wills and trusts is really killing my vibe.

I do not know how I'm expected to recall all this stuff on a dime. Also, these sample answers, citing statutes and codes... is that even remotely realistic?

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:56 pm

jcwest wrote:Does anyone else feel like they're running in circles?
Yes.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Feeling pretty good about my MBE finally. Got 74% on the final practice test and 18/21 on the above posted NCBE questions today so think I should be ok, will probably just do the odd question set every couple days (only did 11 of the mixed ones so far).

But I'm so far behind on essays, have basically completely ignored CPT's which scares me (they just sounded perfect for my skill set when described so procrastinated). A lot of the CA essay questions I've done very little work on. Just basically comes down to how much I can memorise in 7 days I guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawlurk

New

Post by lawlurk » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Practice test #4 was not cute.

How everyone do?

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:35 pm

lawlurk wrote:Practice test #4 was not cute.

How everyone do?

Not good haha. So don't feel bad.

abogado2018

New

Post by abogado2018 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 pm

CA people: Has anyone else noticed a significant difference in quality for the "model" answers released by the CA bar between the February versus July exams? The July model answers are significantly better written, organized and issue-spotted. I expected some differences due to there being a lot of repeaters in Feb, but wow, if these are the "best" Feb answers, I'm shocked.

fuuuuuuuuuu

New

Post by fuuuuuuuuuu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Getting 78-80% on all the practice sets so far (including the 100 question set) with literally no change in the percentage, but everyone keeps saying the sets get harder so I'm waiting for that one set to bring me down...

I did the NCBE 21 question set, but it seems I ran into most of those questions when I was doing the questions on Themis, which was a bummer because I remembered the answers. There's the 10 civ pro questions on NCBE (http://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2 ... ument%2F16) which made me feel way better. Doesn't seem as hard as some of the ones we've seen on Themis.

As for MEEs, I just did the lectures way back when and just focused on memorizing what the essays have provided me with. I figure they'll cover most of everything they usually throw at you, right...? Over my dead body will I read more than I have to. I did the same for FL bar, and turned out fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”