NY 2nd Dept Admission Process Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kc128

Bronze

NY 2nd Dept Admission Process

Post by kc128 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Didn't see a thread. Figured I'd start one. Anyone submit yet?

PaddyO424

New

Re: NY 2nd Dept Admission Process

Post by PaddyO424 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:46 am

kc128 wrote:Didn't see a thread. Figured I'd start one. Anyone submit yet?
I'm still trying to round up employment and character affidavits.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Tue May 01, 2018 5:30 pm

How far out is second department swearing in at this point? Just heard from first department that it's out until September. I find it pretty counterintuitive and inconvenient that they can't evenly distribute the applicants throughout departments so there's a standard wait time for swearing in.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 pm

JustHawkin wrote:How far out is second department swearing in at this point? Just heard from first department that it's out until September. I find it pretty counterintuitive and inconvenient that they can't evenly distribute the applicants throughout departments so there's a standard wait time for swearing in.
Oh jesus, I haven't heard this at all. I haven't called or anything, as I'm also harassing former employers for affidavits, lol.

I have friends who have passed previous Feb. administrations who have been admitted in like late May, June. I also have friends who were admitted in October. I guess it depends how timely your application is and whether anything gets bounced back. I feel like I know a lot of people who have had to correct issues, etc.

Here's to hoping. I really don't feel like being glued to my desk all summer :shock: :shock:

onionhead

New

Post by onionhead » Wed May 02, 2018 7:24 am

Are legal internships considered "employment"? I was thinking whether to declare legal internships under legal employment under Q15 of Part 1 or Q16 of Part 1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:56 am

onionhead wrote:Are legal internships considered "employment"? I was thinking whether to declare legal internships under legal employment under Q15 of Part 1 or Q16 of Part 1.
I did... Q. 15 requests: "List every employment you have had since you reached the age of 21, or in the last 10 years, whichever period is shorter, in chronological order (from earliest to latest). Include your current employment, if any. Include self-employment, clerkships, temporary or part-time employment, military service, employment by members of family or other relatives, employment with or without monetary compensation, law-related work-study employment, and law-related employment for academic credit only, including participation in law school clinics and externships, and work as a research assistant. Note to applicants applying for admis- sion on examination: do not include employments listed on your 50 hour pro bono compliance affidavit or listed on your pro bono scholars program completion affidavit."

Assuming it was a clinic, externship, research assistant position, etc., it seems necessary. Also, better safe than sorry?

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Thu May 03, 2018 10:30 am

onionhead wrote:Are legal internships considered "employment"? I was thinking whether to declare legal internships under legal employment under Q15 of Part 1 or Q16 of Part 1.
Legal internships are legal employment, so you will need the law-related affidavit for internships (and externships and law school RA jobs).

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi all, anyone w/ any updates? I submitted to the 2nd Dept. yesterday and received an email today that I had to re-submit my video codes b/c I had watched awhile back and they're since outdated. Re-watched and overnighted this afternoon. I couldn't believe how quickly they processed; hopefully no other mistakes on mine! Anyone else?

rkreymer

Bronze

Post by rkreymer » Wed May 09, 2018 7:45 pm

kc128 wrote:Hi all, anyone w/ any updates? I submitted to the 2nd Dept. yesterday and received an email today that I had to re-submit my video codes b/c I had watched awhile back and they're since outdated. Re-watched and overnighted this afternoon. I couldn't believe how quickly they processed; hopefully no other mistakes on mine! Anyone else?
Same here about the orientation video code. I actually got a phone call. I'm hoping it's because they are trying to get the interviews scheduled asap.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:17 pm

rkreymer wrote:
kc128 wrote:Hi all, anyone w/ any updates? I submitted to the 2nd Dept. yesterday and received an email today that I had to re-submit my video codes b/c I had watched awhile back and they're since outdated. Re-watched and overnighted this afternoon. I couldn't believe how quickly they processed; hopefully no other mistakes on mine! Anyone else?
Same here about the orientation video code. I actually got a phone call. I'm hoping it's because they are trying to get the interviews scheduled asap.
When I called back to confirm everything, I asked about June dates. The woman was very nice and told me June 13th, but that its almost at capacity. She also said that they are current on processing applications so its not out of the realm of possibility, but then added the standard 8-12 week turnaround stuff. I'm hoping maybe they'll add a later date in June if the 13th doesn't work out?

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:37 am

Anyone have any updates? Mailed the packet on Monday the 14th. Just did first class and not overnight or anything. No acknowledgment yet but they probably just received it yesterday.

Jon_Snow

New

Post by Jon_Snow » Mon May 21, 2018 4:05 pm

I did a Legal internship with a Judge which i am using for my Pro Bono Reqmt.

Do I need to use botht the Legal Related Employment Form and the Pro Bono Reqmt? Or can I just use the Legal Related Employment form?

rkreymer

Bronze

Post by rkreymer » Mon May 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:I did a Legal internship with a Judge which i am using for my Pro Bono Reqmt.

Do I need to use botht the Legal Related Employment Form and the Pro Bono Reqmt? Or can I just use the Legal Related Employment form?
Call and find out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:I did a Legal internship with a Judge which i am using for my Pro Bono Reqmt.

You're not supposed to submit an employment affidavit for the position that fulfilled the pro bono requirement. I submitted my app and the 2nd Dept called me bc my pro bono aff was outdated... they didn't state the need for an employment affidavit for that position as well.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:Anyone have any updates? Mailed the packet on Monday the 14th. Just did first class and not overnight or anything. No acknowledgment yet but they probably just received it yesterday.
I submitted mine approx. 2.5 weeks ago. I had to supplement my pro bono affidavit as the one I originally submitted is now outdated. They called to inform me of this. If you haven't heard anything yet, you're probably good.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:35 am

kc128 wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:Anyone have any updates? Mailed the packet on Monday the 14th. Just did first class and not overnight or anything. No acknowledgment yet but they probably just received it yesterday.
I submitted mine approx. 2.5 weeks ago. I had to supplement my pro bono affidavit as the one I originally submitted is now outdated. They called to inform me of this. If you haven't heard anything yet, you're probably good.
Thanks! I actually called on the 24th to confirm it was received. They said they received it and it went into review on the 17th. Not sure what that means exactly but sounds like they're quick to tell you when something needs to be fixed so hoping mine is fine. Good luck!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
Thanks! I actually called on the 24th to confirm it was received. They said they received it and it went into review on the 17th. Not sure what that means exactly but sounds like they're quick to tell you when something needs to be fixed so hoping mine is fine. Good luck!
Thanks, you too! Did you receive any updates yet. I haven't on my end, grr.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:35 am

kc128 wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
Nope, nothing yet either... And I have no idea what the normal turnaround length is before you get scheduled for an interview?

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:17 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
Nope, nothing yet either... And I have no idea what the normal turnaround length is before you get scheduled for an interview?
I've had friends get sworn in fairly quickly, i.e. late December/early Jan & into Feb. after learning they passed in late October and submitting their apps shortly after. My main concern is that the 2nd Dept. will have fewer dates into July & August and I realllyyy would like to be sworn in before the fall, uch.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Update for anyone else also waiting. I received a phone call yesterday, asking whether I could be available for next Wednesday's date (uh hello, yes...). Received an email from the 2nd Dept around noon today, scheduling my C&F for tomorrow morning. Good luck to everyone waiting!

ojala

New

Post by ojala » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Did you guys include legal employment only in the application portion? I understood it to be all employment since age 21 (or last ten years) in the application, and then affidavits only for legal related employment. If that’s the case, did anyone else not have room in the application to list all employment in the application?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:27 pm

kc128 wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
I've had friends get sworn in fairly quickly, i.e. late December/early Jan & into Feb. after learning they passed in late October and submitting their apps shortly after. My main concern is that the 2nd Dept. will have fewer dates into July & August and I realllyyy would like to be sworn in before the fall, uch.
By way of update, I got an email from my interviewer this past Monday the 4th. My interview is scheduled for this Friday the 8th. I do not have my swearing in date yet, but seems as though things are moving now. Hoping the same is true for you!

GrumpierGrunt

New

Post by GrumpierGrunt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 am

Anyone booked for the July swearing in ceremony? I had my C&F interview on June 4 and have not heard anything since. My interviewer send that he wouldn’t meet with the commitee until June 24 but this seems a bit long.

JD28

New

Post by JD28 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:40 pm

anyone have a date for September yet? had my interview in the 2nd week of July and still haven't heard anything. I believe the August class is full and apparently there is a 9/12 swearing in date.. but I have not gotten an invite.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”