2018 July DC Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
mec215

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby mec215 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:32 pm

LLBJD wrote:Did anyone get an email saying that their application to sit for the exam has been accepted? I did not get one, but on the website, it says that my application to sit for the exam has been accepted.

Yes - I got an email with the subject line "DCCA Office of Admissions: Acknowledgement Email" which said that my application was accepted. Maybe check your spam or add relay@dcbar.org to your trusted senders list.

User avatar
radio1nowhere

Bronze
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby radio1nowhere » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:00 pm

mec215 wrote:
LLBJD wrote:Did anyone get an email saying that their application to sit for the exam has been accepted? I did not get one, but on the website, it says that my application to sit for the exam has been accepted.

Yes - I got an email with the subject line "DCCA Office of Admissions: Acknowledgement Email" which said that my application was accepted. Maybe check your spam or add relay@dcbar.org to your trusted senders list.

I also never got an email (checked spam folder — not there) but the website says "Congratulations! Your application has been reviewed and accepted. You are now approved to sit for the upcoming UBE Exam." Weird.

Unrelatedly, does anyone know if there will be somewhere at the convention center we can store suitcases during the exam?

hanner22

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby hanner22 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:45 am

radio1nowhere wrote:
mec215 wrote:
LLBJD wrote:Did anyone get an email saying that their application to sit for the exam has been accepted? I did not get one, but on the website, it says that my application to sit for the exam has been accepted.

Yes - I got an email with the subject line "DCCA Office of Admissions: Acknowledgement Email" which said that my application was accepted. Maybe check your spam or add relay@dcbar.org to your trusted senders list.

I also never got an email (checked spam folder — not there) but the website says "Congratulations! Your application has been reviewed and accepted. You are now approved to sit for the upcoming UBE Exam." Weird.

Unrelatedly, does anyone know if there will be somewhere at the convention center we can store suitcases during the exam?



There is a place where they allow you to store your jackets, bags & lunches. I'm not sure if they will allow suitcases. However, the examiners were pretty lax about belongings. People had study materials and their phones out even though the instructions indicated the they were prohibited so you might be able to get away with it. The hotel was able to hold my suitcase until after the exam. I think that is your best bet.

Nicolena.

Bronze
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 pm

I am staying a little over a mile away from the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. How early would you guys suggest leaving? I'm going to just use a Lyft/Uber. It says 10 mins away. I planned to leave 30 mins early.

I'm too nervous to risk transit. Idk if transit is anything like NJ/NY, but people get stuck on trains or there are delays all the time. I figured if somehow traffic is that bad, I could always leave the lyft and just walk the remainder of the way to the convention center.

Any tips appreciated! Thanks!

Nicolena.

Bronze
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby Nicolena. » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Has anyone received their ticket yet?

I thought i heard somewhere that they don’t come until a week before but just checking.

User avatar
CLSGumbo

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby CLSGumbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:05 pm

The acknowledgement email I received just said:

Your application for the July 2018 District of Columbia bar exam has been accepted for processing. Admission tickets and further information regarding the exam will be emailed to you approximately two weeks before the examination. If you wish to apply for accommodations and have not already done so please submit all paperwork immediately. Requests must be made before the application deadline.


I never got one that said I had actually been processed...

LLBJD

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby LLBJD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 pm

I actually called them today and they said that the tickets will be sent out this week.

Nicolena.

Bronze
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby Nicolena. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 am

Just received my ticket.
Last edited by Nicolena. on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

mec215

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby mec215 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:25 am

I got my admissions ticket email this morning. Anyone else notice that the "tickets," which are supposed to print on separate pages, end up being split between multiple pages when you print, such that you can't just hand in one ticket per day? I think I'm going to have to copy and paste into Word to adjust the spacing to make each fit on separate pages. Why couldn't they just do a PDF?

Separately - Is anyone else's law school certification still showing as "Rejected," even though you've uploaded the final certification? I uploaded the provisional certification pre-graduation. Right after graduation, I attempted to upload the final one, but there was no way to do it. When I called, the person I spoke to marked my provisional certification as "Rejected" so that I would be able to upload a final version. I did so right away (in late May), but it's still showing up as rejected. I called and checked in on this about 2 weeks ago, and they said they were still reviewing law school certifications, but I'm starting to get a little nervous that this rejected status might cause issues on exam day. (My application does, however, state that it is accepted and I'm approved to sit for the exam.)

User avatar
CLSGumbo

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby CLSGumbo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

^^^ re the split pages. yeah i figured I'll paste into word?

mec215

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby mec215 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am

mec215 wrote:I got my admissions ticket email this morning. Anyone else notice that the "tickets," which are supposed to print on separate pages, end up being split between multiple pages when you print, such that you can't just hand in one ticket per day? I think I'm going to have to copy and paste into Word to adjust the spacing to make each fit on separate pages. Why couldn't they just do a PDF?

Separately - Is anyone else's law school certification still showing as "Rejected," even though you've uploaded the final certification? I uploaded the provisional certification pre-graduation. Right after graduation, I attempted to upload the final one, but there was no way to do it. When I called, the person I spoke to marked my provisional certification as "Rejected" so that I would be able to upload a final version. I did so right away (in late May), but it's still showing up as rejected. I called and checked in on this about 2 weeks ago, and they said they were still reviewing law school certifications, but I'm starting to get a little nervous that this rejected status might cause issues on exam day. (My application does, however, state that it is accepted and I'm approved to sit for the exam.)

Update re the law school certification: I just called and they approved it. They were confused because they said they reviewed all the certifications yesterday. If yours is still showing as rejected, I recommend calling.

Nicolena.

Bronze
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby Nicolena. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:58 pm

So just a recap....

We need the admissions ticket for AM & PM, notarized laptop liability, and the receipt that we paid for the exam software right?

mec215

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby mec215 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Nicolena. wrote:So just a recap....

We need the admissions ticket for AM & PM, notarized laptop liability, and the receipt that we paid for the exam software right?

I think that covers it. I don't think we're required to bring the exam software receipt, just the laptop liability form, but I probably will bring the receipt just to be safe.

Nicolena.

Bronze
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby Nicolena. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:14 pm

mec215 wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:So just a recap....

We need the admissions ticket for AM & PM, notarized laptop liability, and the receipt that we paid for the exam software right?

I think that covers it. I don't think we're required to bring the exam software receipt, just the laptop liability form, but I probably will bring the receipt just to be safe.


I just know they mentioned having it when I read the registration instructions. We probably don't need it, but I am bringing it as well.

LLBJD

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby LLBJD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Is everyone going to just copy and paste the tickets on email into a word document? That's what I think I might do but I just want to be safe.

User avatar
radio1nowhere

Bronze
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby radio1nowhere » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:30 pm

LLBJD wrote:Is everyone going to just copy and paste the tickets on email into a word document? That's what I think I might do but I just want to be safe.


I just tried taking screenshots of the tickets in the email itself and printing those; looks like they turned out alright, although the text might be a little smaller for some reason?

Nicolena.

Bronze
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby Nicolena. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm

LLBJD wrote:Is everyone going to just copy and paste the tickets on email into a word document? That's what I think I might do but I just want to be safe.


I just cut and pasted. It looks fine for me. I did have to add the picture in the heading though.

mec215

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby mec215 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:26 pm

LLBJD wrote:Is everyone going to just copy and paste the tickets on email into a word document? That's what I think I might do but I just want to be safe.

I am going to copy and paste into a Word doc (with one ticket per page). But I am also going to bring a straight print-out of the full email, just in case they give me any grief for my reformatting in the Word doc.

Nicolena.

Bronze
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby Nicolena. » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 pm

mec215 wrote:
LLBJD wrote:Is everyone going to just copy and paste the tickets on email into a word document? That's what I think I might do but I just want to be safe.

I am going to copy and paste into a Word doc (with one ticket per page). But I am also going to bring a straight print-out of the full email, just in case they give me any grief for my reformatting in the Word doc.




I called. They said pasting into word is fine. Also they said we don’t need the exam software receipt.

SaraWithoutAnH

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby SaraWithoutAnH » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 pm

So...watches are on the list of prohibited items. Does exam 4 show us our time during the actual test and do proctors otherwise show the time remaining during the MBE?

Also, I assume everyone has read the email with the change in policy explaining that we get one personal item to be stored at our own risk. I assume that if this additional bag (which will likely be many test-takers' carry on luggage) contains some of the things that'd otherwise be prohibited from out plastic bags (for lunch and for the bar itself) that this will be okay, but what are others' thoughts. The prohibited items include any form of watch, any form of paper, etc. It'd seem kind of extreme if you were prohibited from having paper or a fitbit in your additional baggage that doesn't even go into the testing room. But wasn't sure about this; I'm in law school in other state, so any advice sans sarcasm for me overlooking the obvious would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
CLSGumbo

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby CLSGumbo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:47 pm

the bottom of the slip says we have to have all required items in by july 20th. what is this possibly referring to? was there anything to submit since we applied back in like april?

Nicolena.

Bronze
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby Nicolena. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:52 pm

SaraWithoutAnH wrote:So...watches are on the list of prohibited items. Does exam 4 show us our time during the actual test and do proctors otherwise show the time remaining during the MBE?

Also, I assume everyone has read the email with the change in policy explaining that we get one personal item to be stored at our own risk. I assume that if this additional bag (which will likely be many test-takers' carry on luggage) contains some of the things that'd otherwise be prohibited from out plastic bags (for lunch and for the bar itself) that this will be okay, but what are others' thoughts. The prohibited items include any form of watch, any form of paper, etc. It'd seem kind of extreme if you were prohibited from having paper or a fitbit in your additional baggage that doesn't even go into the testing room. But wasn't sure about this; I'm in law school in other state, so any advice sans sarcasm for me overlooking the obvious would be greatly appreciated.


When i called i asked about what i could have in my personal bag and they said it didn’t matter. I mean i listed a few things and they didn’t seem to care. If you plan to bring electronics, you may want to ask since those were specifically prohibited.

The exam software does have a clock on it. I used the same software in law school, so you’re also able to mark reminders for time at like 1 hr or 15 min mark. This is great for essay day but idk what we are going to do on MBE day bc no ones going to have a clock unless one is in the room. Hopefully they have multiple since it’s such a big area.

LLBJD

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby LLBJD » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm

CLSGumbo wrote:the bottom of the slip says we have to have all required items in by july 20th. what is this possibly referring to? was there anything to submit since we applied back in like april?


Wondering the same.

HokieHi307

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby HokieHi307 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:58 pm

How serious do we think they are about only bringing a water bottle with a "sport" or "spout" top (whatever the hell that is)? If I bring a regular water bottle with a plastic cap are they going to make me throw it out?

User avatar
CLSGumbo

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Postby CLSGumbo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:40 am

I accidentally updated to 10.13.6 on Mac OS. Really hope this doesnt impact exam4



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], johngotti and 20 guests