2018 July DC Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
barkschool

Silver

Re: 2018 July DC Bar Certifications

Post by barkschool » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm

rgrunds wrote:
barkschool wrote:
rgrunds wrote:Anyone certified this week?
I was
Good. What does the notice say? Any idea what the process entails?
I’ve got to wait 10 days for my application to be official certified by the admission board.

Then I’ve just got to fill out and have a notary sign a pdf of my oath of admission. Way more simple than I was expecting.

rgrunds

New

Re: 2018 July DC Bar Certifications

Post by rgrunds » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:56 pm

barkschool wrote:
rgrunds wrote:
barkschool wrote:
rgrunds wrote:Anyone certified this week?
I was
Good. What does the notice say? Any idea what the process entails?
I’ve got to wait 10 days for my application to be official certified by the admission board.

Then I’ve just got to fill out and have a notary sign a pdf of my oath of admission. Way more simple than I was expecting.
Thanks. That's interesting. So....they have a pre-certification prior to the final certification....which takes place 10 days later.

If they have a pre-certification, why don't they just send out the pre-certifications all at once....or just do away with the pre-certification and only send out final certifications. Better yet, only send notices to people who have to meet with Character and Fitness (there are VERY few in any group of examinees) and let everyone else swear in without the serial contingencies and waiting on the Bar office.

rgrunds

New

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Post by rgrunds » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Rufussteck wrote:I give up. I’m taking out a loan to apply to another jurisdiction. UBE score should be transferable. Can’t wait any longer for DC to do a simple task. Anyone feel like suing the bar for admission and/or lost wages?
Poor guy. I feel your anguish. I'm sorry for your situation.

What does certification entail? Is it a simple or time consuming task? I can't find anything on the process.

Hendy

New

Post by Hendy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:14 pm

So if memory serves the Committee on Admissions is not accepting calls til Tuesday. Of course the gov't may well be shut down again by then.

nagy1

New

Post by nagy1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:06 pm

FYI if you received certification do not wait 10 days

2/8/2019 NOTICE TO APPLICANTS WITH CERTIFICATIONS DATES: 2/1/2019 THROUGH 2/7/2019
YOU MAY BE SWORN IN IMMEDIATELY. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO WAIT FOR TEN (10) DAYS TO COMPLETE THE IN ABSENTIA SWEAR IN PROCESS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:53 pm

nagy1 wrote:FYI if you received certification do not wait 10 days

2/8/2019 NOTICE TO APPLICANTS WITH CERTIFICATIONS DATES: 2/1/2019 THROUGH 2/7/2019
YOU MAY BE SWORN IN IMMEDIATELY. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO WAIT FOR TEN (10) DAYS TO COMPLETE THE IN ABSENTIA SWEAR IN PROCESS.
That's nice. Certifications should have been completed before the shutdown.

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Anybody certified this past week ending Friday, Feb. 15?

Rufussteck

New

Post by Rufussteck » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 am

rgrunds wrote:
nagy1 wrote:FYI if you received certification do not wait 10 days

That's nice. Certifications should have been completed before the shutdown.
Yep. They didn’t even put a notice out requesting graders until after the exam. They knew well before test date that they would need to grade 1800 exams but failed to seek graders until after the exam? Now using the shutdown as an excuse for failing to certify the people who took and passed the test...even if that is a plausible excuse (it isn’t) if you factor in the length of the shutdown, they have already blown their updated timeline of completion (“we hope to have certifications complete by January 4”). The tests are graded, character and fitness completed by a third party, and they can’t send out the form letters in a reasonable time? What a joke.

markham1321

New

Post by markham1321 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:53 pm

rgrunds wrote:Anybody certified this past week ending Friday, Feb. 15?
Yes, I got mine last Saturday

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:12 pm

markham1321 wrote:
rgrunds wrote:Anybody certified this past week ending Friday, Feb. 15?
Yes, I got mine last Saturday
Good for you. Thanks for the response.

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:49 am

Anybody know what the "certification" process is? What actually happens? Is it the Committee review for each applicant of the NCBE file?

Hendy

New

Post by Hendy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Called the Committee today. I mentioned that I was a july '18 test taker. Before I could ask a question, I was told that things were affected by the shutdown and given the upcoming February exam the July '18 test was no longer a priority.

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Hendy wrote:Called the Committee today. I mentioned that I was a july '18 test taker. Before I could ask a question, I was told that things were affected by the shutdown and given the upcoming February exam the July '18 test was no longer a priority.
Wow. That's a first in the history of bar administration. The subsequent exam is given before certifications for the prior one are complete. Wow.

The truth of the matter is, they had enough time to finish the certifications prior to the shut down. They managed all the certifications for the July 2017 bar within 6 weeks of test results. Similar numbers to this year.

Curiouser and curiouser....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Nice work. Thanks.

rgrunds

New

Waiting since July 2017?

Post by rgrunds » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 am

If you read Rufusteck's linked article to "The DCist", you'll find a post in the comments section.

It appears that someone who took the July 2017...that's not an error....2017.....1 1/2 years ago.....doesn't have her certification.

Look for yourselves. The poster is Sally.

rgrunds

New

Must have lost their data

Post by rgrunds » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:30 am

They must have a problem with their data base. They might have lost it, the system has a defect or they don't know how to manage it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wwwcol

Bronze

Re: Must have lost their data

Post by wwwcol » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 am

rgrunds wrote:They must have a problem with their data base. They might have lost it, the system has a defect or they don't know how to manage it.
A friend’s NCBE certification expired because they sat on it too long. I bet things like that and just losing files happen all the time.

Has anyone seen any progress recently, esp people trying to waive in?

gingerbread

New

Post by gingerbread » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:40 pm

I submitted my app to waive in back in January 2018 -- radio silence since then. Fortunately, this has absolutely no impact on my job, but still, it's ridiculous.

rgrunds

New

Re: Must have lost their data

Post by rgrunds » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:18 pm

wwwcol wrote:
rgrunds wrote:They must have a problem with their data base. They might have lost it, the system has a defect or they don't know how to manage it.
A friend’s NCBE certification expired because they sat on it too long. I bet things like that and just losing files happen all the time.

Has anyone seen any progress recently, esp people trying to waive in?
How long do NCBE reports last? Actually, I called the DC Bar several months ago and the representative said they were "having a digital problem".

Rufussteck

New

Post by Rufussteck » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:16 am

Has anyone heard anything since the February bar ended? Are us July passers a priority again? Any appetite for a lawsuit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Rufussteck wrote:Has anyone heard anything since the February bar ended? Are us July passers a priority again? Any appetite for a lawsuit?
I called last week. Got a very nice lady on the phone. Promised to call back. Haven't heard anything.

nagy1

New

Post by nagy1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:09 pm

rgrunds wrote:
Rufussteck wrote:Has anyone heard anything since the February bar ended? Are us July passers a priority again? Any appetite for a lawsuit?
I called last week. Got a very nice lady on the phone. Promised to call back. Haven't heard anything.

Same. She said I would hear back Monday (yesterday) I called today but they dont take calls from 12p-3p. Im going try again at3p

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:10 am

nagy1 wrote:
rgrunds wrote:

Same. She said I would hear back Monday (yesterday) I called today but they dont take calls from 12p-3p. Im going try again at3p
Let us know what happens.

nagy1

New

Post by nagy1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 am

rgrunds wrote:
nagy1 wrote:
rgrunds wrote:

Let us know what happens.

Called back yesterday.Got a not so nice lady. She said " I dont know who you spoke to but we don't call people." I left my name as instructed. Called again today and got the same individual. Left my name again and she said if I didn't hear anything in a week to call back.
I thought I saw somewhere, maybe this thread, that someone called 17x and finally got their certification. Not sure if annoying them is a good strategy but I think persistence is key.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”