2018 July DC Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rgrunds

New

Re: 2018 July DC Bar

Post by rgrunds » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:23 pm

wwwcol wrote:
rgrunds wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
Rufussteck wrote:Still waiting. I called two weeks ago and was told my C&F expired but I should have my certification by last Wednesday. Nothing. Called Friday, was told to call back Monday because I couldn’t be found in the system. Called today, was told that they don’t take calls on Monday normally but that they would look me up. The lady said that the were still reviewing my C&F report and that I should hear something by Wednesday..... getting to be ridiculous. Out about 8k in wages so far by not being barred on a reasonable date of December 1. Considering a lawsuit.
Lawsuit won’t go anywhere. Better off just calling daily to ask for updates, as terrible an option as that is

Fortunately my employer is understanding but I’m still stuck in review. I saw ms2esq got approved in less than a week, which makes me think this won’t drag on fir months
It has dragged on for months. Should have been done by December 21, 2018
why do you have such a specific date in mind? If it’s because of that 10-month thing they mention on the website...pretty clear that’s unrealistic and they don’t care about meeting it
Bee-Cauz....they had similar numbers in the 2017 July bar and all was done within 6 weeks of the score release date. There were more applicants in 2018 but not enough to need an additional 4 months....or more. There is something wrong in that office....lost files....digital records missing....perhaps understaffed......

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:15 pm

rgrunds wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
rgrunds wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
Rufussteck wrote:Still waiting. I called two weeks ago and was told my C&F expired but I should have my certification by last Wednesday. Nothing. Called Friday, was told to call back Monday because I couldn’t be found in the system. Called today, was told that they don’t take calls on Monday normally but that they would look me up. The lady said that the were still reviewing my C&F report and that I should hear something by Wednesday..... getting to be ridiculous. Out about 8k in wages so far by not being barred on a reasonable date of December 1. Considering a lawsuit.
Lawsuit won’t go anywhere. Better off just calling daily to ask for updates, as terrible an option as that is

Fortunately my employer is understanding but I’m still stuck in review. I saw ms2esq got approved in less than a week, which makes me think this won’t drag on fir months
why do you have such a specific date in mind? If it’s because of that 10-month thing they mention on the website...pretty clear that’s unrealistic and they don’t care about meeting it
Bee-Cauz....they had similar numbers in the 2017 July bar and all was done within 6 weeks of the score release date. There were more applicants in 2018 but not enough to need an additional 4 months....or more. There is something wrong in that office....lost files....digital records missing....perhaps understaffed......
Eh, there was a 53% increase from July 2017 to July 2018 -- that's not similar numbers. The office definitely needs more funding and more staff. The bar is administered by the D.C. courts, which is in turn funded by Congress, and since D.C. has no real representation in Congress (and the court system has plenty of other pressing problems, like needing more judges) I doubt this is going to change anytime soon.

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Dipper wrote:
rgrunds wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
rgrunds wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

Eh, there was a 53% increase from July 2017 to July 2018 -- that's not similar numbers. The office definitely needs more funding and more staff. The bar is administered by the D.C. courts, which is in turn funded by Congress, and since D.C. has no real representation in Congress (and the court system has plenty of other pressing problems, like needing more judges) I doubt this is going to change anytime soon.
Dipper....In July of 2017, nearly 1,200 candidates sat for the bar exam with about 800 successful examinees. The 2018 had 1,700 with about 1100 successful examinees.....That's only 300 more successful examinees......not sufficiently different to need 3-4 months after results published to process certifications (not counting shutdown) when they were done 6 weeks after exam results in 2017. If the rate of certification is 800 per six weeks then 1100 should be done in 8-9 weeks after exam results. Not counting the shutdown, it's been 14 weeks.

Rufussteck

New

Post by Rufussteck » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 pm

rgrunds wrote:
Dipper wrote:
rgrunds wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
rgrunds wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

Dipper....In July of 2017, nearly 1,200 candidates sat for the bar exam with about 800 successful examinees. The 2018 had 1,700 with about 1100 successful examinees.....That's only 300 more successful examinees......not sufficiently different to need 3-4 months after results published to process certifications (not counting shutdown) when they were done 6 weeks after exam results in 2017. If the rate of certification is 800 per six weeks then 1100 should be done in 8-9 weeks after exam results. Not counting the shutdown, it's been 14 weeks.
After calling every day, and getting told that “it looks like your file was closed in December”, I finally got my certification last Thursday. Now, just waiting for them to waive the 10-day waiting period so I can go get sworn in by a notary at my local pack-n-ship.

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:24 pm

Rufussteck....good for you.

A long wait.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:26 pm

rgrunds wrote:Rufussteck....good for you.

A long wait.
For real. That is absolutely egregious. Hopefully you can start making $$ ASAP

Is anyone else still waiting? It’s been over a year since I applied by motion and haven’t heard a peep from them in nine months.

Hendy

New

Post by Hendy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi folks. I called in the other day and asked for a status update. I received a certification email within a few minutes. :)

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 pm

wwwcol wrote:
rgrunds wrote:Rufussteck....good for you.

A long wait.
For real. That is absolutely egregious. Hopefully you can start making $$ ASAP

Is anyone else still waiting? It’s been over a year since I applied by motion and haven’t heard a peep from them in nine months.
I'm still waiting. I called 6 weeks ago. They said they'd get back to me in 5 days. Nothing.

Hendy

New

Post by Hendy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:35 pm

I think maybe it just depends on who you talk to. I'd been blown off a few times. But the last time I called I spoke with someone I hadn't spoken with before, and all I did was ask for a status update and I got certified. I would be suspicious of any promises to be certified in 5 days...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Hendy wrote:I think maybe it just depends on who you talk to. I'd been blown off a few times. But the last time I called I spoke with someone I hadn't spoken with before, and all I did was ask for a status update and I got certified. I would be suspicious of any promises to be certified in 5 days...
They didn't promise certification....they promised a return call, response and dialogue. Didn't happen.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 pm

rgrunds wrote:
Hendy wrote:I think maybe it just depends on who you talk to. I'd been blown off a few times. But the last time I called I spoke with someone I hadn't spoken with before, and all I did was ask for a status update and I got certified. I would be suspicious of any promises to be certified in 5 days...
They didn't promise certification....they promised a return call, response and dialogue. Didn't happen.
Impressive that you even managed to talk to them once. Every time I call it gives a recorded message and auto hangs up on me.

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:59 am

This is getting a little long....don't you think?

Rufussteck

New

Post by Rufussteck » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:21 am

Anyone know how long it’s been taking to get admitted once you submit your oath paperwork? Submitted mine last Monday and haven’t heard anything or received any kind of confirmation. Just wondering if that’s normal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Rufussteck wrote:Anyone know how long it’s been taking to get admitted once you submit your oath paperwork? Submitted mine last Monday and haven’t heard anything or received any kind of confirmation. Just wondering if that’s normal.

I'd give it 8-9 months.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Any updates? Are y’all still waiting on certification/swearing in?

rgrunds

New

Post by rgrunds » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:53 pm

wwwcol wrote:Any updates? Are y’all still waiting on certification/swearing in?
Still waiting. Called a couple times this week. Got a recording.

rothchan

New

Post by rothchan » Tue May 21, 2019 12:35 pm

Sigh... I submitted the application in Jan and NCBE completed the report in March, still pending report... according to their replies by e-mail, they said I could call back in late August if still yet receive any correspondence from them.

Just curious, how many people are still on step 3 "pending report?" I'm so tired of sending them e-mails but got the same reply (with some minor changes of wording).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pleapeddler

New

Post by pleapeddler » Thu May 23, 2019 10:44 am

rothchan wrote:Sigh... I submitted the application in Jan and NCBE completed the report in March, still pending report... according to their replies by e-mail, they said I could call back in late August if still yet receive any correspondence from them.

Just curious, how many people are still on step 3 "pending report?" I'm so tired of sending them e-mails but got the same reply (with some minor changes of wording).
Submitted application in late August, NCBE says report was finalized and sent in January, I'm still on step 3 pending report. I know someone else who is in the same boat, but they applied in July.

LaShuanMichelle

New

Post by LaShuanMichelle » Thu May 30, 2019 6:10 am

Finally got my certification! My 10 day waiting period began yesterday! Unfortunately I will miss the June 6th swearing in but I will swear in via absentia on or about June 8th or 9th!

HokieHi307

New

Post by HokieHi307 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:24 am

I'm looking over my certification letter and I'm confused -- do you have to fill out and notarize the Supplemental Questionnaire if you're doing the in-person swearing in or is that just for people doing it in absentia?

LaShuanMichelle

New

Post by LaShuanMichelle » Thu May 30, 2019 11:57 am

HokieHi307 wrote:I'm looking over my certification letter and I'm confused -- do you have to fill out and notarize the Supplemental Questionnaire if you're doing the in-person swearing in or is that just for people doing it in absentia?
Thats a good question. Im not 100% sure but it sounds like you do need to complete it, & no more than 3 days before you complete your oath.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”