which state has easiest and fastest bar admission process Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
radjo

New

which state has easiest and fastest bar admission process

Post by radjo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Recently I passed the NY Bar (UBE). My score is good enough to get admitted to even Alaska. My plan is to remain in-house counsel and so looking for some jurisdictions where I can transfer my UBE score and get the Bar admission done quickly. In short, my question is apart from NY, where I am applying for the bar admission anyway, which other state has the easiest (e.g., no state-specific requirement etc.) and fastest (e.g., 1 month) bar admission process. Does anyone know?

maxmartin

Silver

Re: which state has easiest and fastest bar admission process

Post by maxmartin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:22 pm

radjo wrote:Recently I passed the NY Bar (UBE). My score is good enough to get admitted to even Alaska. My plan is to remain in-house counsel and so looking for some jurisdictions where I can transfer my UBE score and get the Bar admission done quickly. In short, my question is apart from NY, where I am applying for the bar admission anyway, which other state has the easiest (e.g., no state-specific requirement etc.) and fastest (e.g., 1 month) bar admission process. Does anyone know?
WA. But 1 month is almost impossible for any UBE state because you need to go through F&C again conduced by NCBE. Two months are more likely.

meat tornado

New

Post by meat tornado » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 pm

I'd also like to know! I'm especially interested in the process in NJ, which I heard is super fast. Also, would getting admitted in another state make my NY admission more complicated (with good standings, etc.)?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Why do you need to be admitted in multiple jurisdictions? The more jurisdictions where you're admitted, the more CLEs and fees you're responsible for.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:56 am

nixy wrote:Why do you need to be admitted in multiple jurisdictions? The more jurisdictions where you're admitted, the more CLEs and fees you're responsible for.
Most firms will pay the fees and most CLEs can be shared across multiple JDXs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:28 am

Okay. But is there a reason you need to be admitted in multiple jurisdictions? I just don't understand the need to do this quickly.

radjo

New

Post by radjo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:30 am

nixy wrote:Okay. But is there a reason you need to be admitted in multiple jurisdictions? I just don't understand the need to do this quickly.
The reason is by being an attorney the salary will go up. If I don't get NY admission in June and unfortunately it gets delayed by 6-7 months I will lose on the salary

damselfly

New

Post by damselfly » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:34 am

I can tell you that DC is NOT fast and easy. I submitted my application back in November and am still waiting. No C&F issues to speak of (unless you count a delinquent credit card payment from 2003)

pech71

New

Post by pech71 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:35 am

radjo wrote:Recently I passed the NY Bar (UBE). My score is good enough to get admitted to even Alaska. My plan is to remain in-house counsel and so looking for some jurisdictions where I can transfer my UBE score and get the Bar admission done quickly. In short, my question is apart from NY, where I am applying for the bar admission anyway, which other state has the easiest (e.g., no state-specific requirement etc.) and fastest (e.g., 1 month) bar admission process. Does anyone know?
Probably DC since no CLE?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

meat tornado

New

Post by meat tornado » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:41 am

nixy wrote:Okay. But is there a reason you need to be admitted in multiple jurisdictions? I just don't understand the need to do this quickly.
Yes. I can't explain my specific situation (might out myself), but there are def scenarios where you want or need to be barred ASAP and are willing to get barred somewhere else than your home state

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:38 am

maxmartin wrote:WA. But 1 month is almost impossible for any UBE state because you need to go through F&C again conduced by NCBE. Two months are more likely.
Only 8 UBE states use the NCBE for C&F stuff. WA does your C&F clearance before you take the UBE (if you're directly applying there); a UBE transfer is no different than the other states. Your timeline approx. is spot on though.
meat tornado wrote:
Yes. I can't explain my specific situation (might out myself), but there are def scenarios where you want or need to be barred ASAP and are willing to get barred somewhere else than your home state
But pro hac vice admission presumes that you're already licensed somewhere else (in the US). That effectively excludes brand new applicants. Unless the OP is already admitted (wasn't mentioned), that's a non-starter.
Adopting the UBE only means that the state uses it for the bar exam. The state bars control still everything else (deadlines, requirements, grading, etc.) for the admissions process. That's 27 different processes for current UBE states. Some states will send you updates, others will only contact you if there's something wrong with your app. Don't forget that many UBE states have their pre-admission requirements (which might have deadlines), which - since you were applying for NY - you have not done.

Most bar applications ask for the same stuff, but their specific differences can significantly delay your application. For example, NY asks for 2 character references, specifically for your legal employers (who can't be used as character references), and your employment history backwards to age 21/10 years. The NCBE app requires 5 character references, and asks for employment & residence history backwards to 18. That completely changes your required info, and also affects your feasibility to rapidly complete it (it's not "complete" until it's submitted). The state bar could also add to/take away from the NCBE app. The sample NCBE app is below:

http://www.ncbex.org/dmsdocument/134

As maxmartin said, one month is unlikely. I'll go even further and say that unless you have your application ready to go now - with references ready to contact (basically your application filled out) tomorrow, it's not happening in one month. Even if we are to entertain its feasibility, you have even less time w/ the Memorial Day weekend shaving off a few days. Also, 5-8 weeks is a pretty reasonable time frame (for post bar exam applications).

My $.02

radjo

New

Post by radjo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 pm

b290 wrote: Adopting the UBE only means that the state uses it for the bar exam. The state bars control still everything else (deadlines, requirements, grading, etc.) for the admissions process. That's 27 different processes for current UBE states. Some states will send you updates, others will only contact you if there's something wrong with your app. Don't forget that many UBE states have their pre-admission requirements (which might have deadlines), which - since you were applying for NY - you have not done.

Most bar applications ask for the same stuff, but their specific differences can significantly delay your application. For example, NY asks for 2 character references, specifically for your legal employers (who can't be used as character references), and your employment history backwards to age 21/10 years. The NCBE app requires 5 character references, and asks for employment & residence history backwards to 18. That completely changes your required info, and also affects your feasibility to rapidly complete it (it's not "complete" until it's submitted). The state bar could also add to/take away from the NCBE app. The sample NCBE app is below:

http://www.ncbex.org/dmsdocument/134

As maxmartin said, one month is unlikely. I'll go even further and say that unless you have your application ready to go now - with references ready to contact (basically your application filled out) tomorrow, it's not happening in one month. Even if we are to entertain its feasibility, you have even less time w/ the Memorial Day weekend shaving off a few days. Also, 5-8 weeks is a pretty reasonable time frame (for post bar exam applications).

My $.02
Thanks. I have only 2 references ready as I was only thinking of NY. As such does anyone know what are the reasons for which NY admission may get delayed? just to keep things in perspective, I have been working for the same employer for past 10 years so I have only one employer affidavit. No overdue loans and only 1 camera ticket. I will be submitting my NY bar admission application by 2nd May.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:46 pm

NY seems to go quickly presuming no errors on your application/depending on your dept. A lot of friends/colleagues had their apps kicked back due to various errors. I know people who have transferred UBE scores to MN and AL. I think both take 1-3 months depending on when you submit the app, any kick backs, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”