The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JoeSeperac

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Post by JoeSeperac » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:02 am

Jbeans wrote:Hi Joe

Really appreciate your insights on this forum. I just found out that I passed the NY UBE on my second attempt with an overall 270 and MBE score of 136.9. While I note that these are not great scores, they are quite a jump from my first attempt in July 2018, where my overall was 232 and MBE score was a pathetic 105.4.

I am a foreign attorney and graduated from an Australian University. I worked at a 9-7 job throughout bar prep and took only a week off work to study full-time before my first attempt and two weeks off before my second attempt. I used Kaplan and supplemented with Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics. Given that I had limited time to study (maybe 2-3 hours on weekdays and 16 hours per weekend max), I actually expected to fail again. Up to 3 days before the MBE, my practice score was 58%-60%, and I was desperately hoping the essays and MPT would save me.

Could you please help me convert my UBE score of 270 and MBE score of 136.9? I really want to know the extent to which the MEE/MPT helped me pass the exam.

Thank you so much!
Jbeans, congratulations on passing! Based on your scaled MBE score of 136.9, your estimated raw MBE score was about 119/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 68% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 50.9% percentile for the MBE. This means that 49.1% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 136.9 (based on national data for the past 7 years). Based on a total score of 270, your written score was 133.1, which would have placed you in the 41.1% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 58.9% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). You answered 59% correct in practice based on your practice questions, and I estimate you answered 68% correct on the exam. This is a sizeable difference of 9%. Therefore you over-performed on the exam.

I also would have been worried about your odds of passing based on how much you studied, so you did great on the exam. How many Kaplan and S&T questions were you able to answer in total when you studied for F19?

JTIII

New

Post by JTIII » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi Joe - Could you please provide my percentiles as well? My overall score was a 305. My MBE was a 145.4.

Thanks so much.

pika-pika

New

Post by pika-pika » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi Joe - I failed NY February. Could you please help me understand my score and what to do for the July bar?

UBE overall - 263
MBE scaled - 143.3 (72% percentile)
Written score - 119.6

My Barbri simulated midterm raw score was 130/200; Barbri final (3 days before the exam) - 67/100.

Thank you very much!

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:15 pm

JoeSeperac wrote: Congratulations on passing to both of you! Based on your scaled MBE score of 168.3, your estimated raw MBE score was about 163/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 93.1% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 98.6% percentile for the MBE. This means that 1.4% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 168.3 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 338, your written score was 169.7, which would have placed you in the 99% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 1% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. In your case, you answered 76% correct in practice based on practice questions, and I estimate you answered 93% correct on the exam. This is a significant difference of 17%. Therefore you over-performed on the exam.

As to your girlfriend, based on her scaled MBE score of 173, her estimated raw MBE score was about 170/175 correct. This means she answered about 97.1% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places her in the 99.5% percentile for the MBE. Based on a total score of 354, her written score was 181, which would have placed her in the 100% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that almost no examinees nationwide would have scored better than her on the MEE/MPT).

A 355 is the highest UBE score I have ever seen, so she was just 1 point away from that.
Thanks Joe - does 354 make her the highest score from a foreign-educated examinee you've seen? I'm just basking in the reflected glory here. :lol:

Jbeans

New

Post by Jbeans » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:59 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:

Really appreciate your insights on this forum. I just found out that I passed the NY UBE on my second attempt with an overall 270 and MBE score of 136.9. While I note that these are not great scores, they are quite a jump from my first attempt in July 2018, where my overall was 232 and MBE score was a pathetic 105.4.

I am a foreign attorney and graduated from an Australian University. I worked at a 9-7 job throughout bar prep and took only a week off work to study full-time before my first attempt and two weeks off before my second attempt. I used Kaplan and supplemented with Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics. Given that I had limited time to study (maybe 2-3 hours on weekdays and 16 hours per weekend max), I actually expected to fail again. Up to 3 days before the MBE, my practice score was 58%-60%, and I was desperately hoping the essays and MPT would save me.

Could you please help me convert my UBE score of 270 and MBE score of 136.9? I really want to know the extent to which the MEE/MPT helped me pass the exam.

Thank you so much!
Jbeans, congratulations on passing! Based on your scaled MBE score of 136.9, your estimated raw MBE score was about 119/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 68% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 50.9% percentile for the MBE. This means that 49.1% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 136.9 (based on national data for the past 7 years). Based on a total score of 270, your written score was 133.1, which would have placed you in the 41.1% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 58.9% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). You answered 59% correct in practice based on your practice questions, and I estimate you answered 68% correct on the exam. This is a sizeable difference of 9%. Therefore you over-performed on the exam.

I also would have been worried about your odds of passing based on how much you studied, so you did great on the exam. How many Kaplan and S&T questions were you able to answer in total when you studied for F19?
Joe, thanks so much for this! For F19, I finished all the questions in the Kaplan MBE book (around 1,000 questions there incl. the practice exams) and 300 or so questions from S&T. For S&T, I focused on my weaker subjects. I knew I didn't have time to do as many questions as I liked (ideally a minimum of 1,500), so I made sure that I learnt and memorized the law for every question that I got incorrect.

I read on another thread that you think there might be a correlation between a candidate's MPRE and MBE scores. I did the MPRE in 2016 and scored a 99 after studying for 12 hours over 2 days. Do you have any thoughts on how an MPRE score of 99 correlates to an MBE score of 136.9?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Borris

New

Post by Borris » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:51 pm

Hi Joe,

Could you break down my score for the NY Feb 2019 bar exam:

Total score: 322
MBE: 165.7

A bit of background: foreign educated/qualified (Australia). Studied for about 7 weeks total- first 3 while working and last 4 full time. I completed approx. 80% of Barbri (generally scoring 70% - 80% on practice MBE sets).
Barbri Simulated MBE score was 133/200, Barbri Refresher MBE score was 70/100.

I also supplemented with AdaptiBar - approx 1200 questions scoring around 75%.

Thanks!

sg.cambs

New

Post by sg.cambs » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:46 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
sg.cambs wrote:Hi Joe

Thanks for all your insight on this thread. NY results are just out - curious to know my percentiles etc if possible: Overall 345, MBE 164

Thanks!
Sg.Cambs

Congratulations on passing the F19 exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 164, your estimated raw MBE score was about 157/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 89.7% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 97% percentile for the MBE. This means that 3% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 164 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 345, your written score was 181, which would have placed you in the 100% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 0% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

So what in the world did you do for the written in your studying?
Thanks for this Joe. To give some background I'm a foreign taker (UK), worked full time until about 3 weeks before the exam.

For the MEE I did timed, closed-book essays from early on and at least read and thought about every essay on Themis. I used very clear headers for each component of the questions. For each essay I then took the model answer, removed any factual detail and kept these in master docs for each subject, so by the end of my studies I had a few pages of rule statements for each subject that were pretty comprehensive.

For the MPT I ignored most of the advice to spend 45 mins outlining/45 mins writing. I usually just identified the key points of discussion (e.g. each component of a preliminary injunction test) and made headers for these, then went through the materials and added info where relevant, identifying the source. After that it was just a case of making it into a coherent set of paragraphs. I think doing at least 3 timed MPTs is sensible.

In spite of the prep I was very nervous for the breadth of MEE topics that could come up and I'm surprised by my score. Best of luck to anyone studying for the next exam - happy to discuss or provide some example essays if helpful.

CaYLaw

New

Post by CaYLaw » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi Joe. Do you mind giving me a breakdown of scores?

UBE: 279
MBE: 144.7

Really appreciate what you do. Thanks!

Houstonttt

New

Post by Houstonttt » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:46 pm

Passed and almost 90% nation wide( My estimation from my score), while I didnt pass the JULY
i didnt do anything diffreint but I had the confindence AND Igonred all the negative ppl arround

GOOD LUCK ALL and I am sure you can do it , its not hard at all .. AFTER I DIDNT PASS FIRST TIME still not hard at all.. SUPER HAPPY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lucyschmo

New

Post by Lucyschmo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:52 am

Hey Joe, would especially love the percentile estimate for my written score and my estimated raw MBE for the f19 NY bar. 348 total, 176.8 mbe.

I did Themis and about 95%, also used critical pass a little bit. Don’t remember the exact numbers but I definitely significantly overperformed my practice tests in both parts, especially the essays; I think I got below 50% on all but one.

Thanks so much!!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Curious if you can give me any breakdown of my score (I know Texas has less data).

Texas
Score: 767
Scaled MBE: 141.1

My suspicion is that I must have destroyed the writing to get that top line score with that mediocre by my standard MBE.

FWIW, I did not use a bar prep company. I bought the BarBri outline and Conviser online. I studied an hour or so per day while working full-time until about 2 weeks before the exam, when I began studying 3-4 hours per day. I spent the week before the exam studying 5 or so hours per day.

I only got my MBE practice questions from a free source online, which probably hurt my score there. Glad it didn't matter. I'd guess I did 1000 or so practice questions on that site. My timed average was 84%.

I have been out of law school for six years, so I'm pleasantly surprised with this result. I think I was helped by being a professional writer (I've been writing on hard, timed deadlines for years and have written a book). Also my now legal job involves post-conviction criminal stuff. So I do a lot of intense legal analysis and writing. I'm guessing this explains the disparity between my writing score and MBE.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:13 pm

JTIII wrote:Hi Joe - Could you please provide my percentiles as well? My overall score was a 305. My MBE was a 145.4.

Thanks so much.
Congratulations on passing the F19 exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 145.4, your estimated raw MBE score was about 131/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 74.9% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 72.3% percentile for the MBE. This means that 27.7% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 145.4 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 305, your written score was 159.6, which would have placed you in the 94.1% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 5.9% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 83.2% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 305 (meaning that 16.8% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. How many questions did you answer in practice, from what sources (e.g. Barbri, Kaplan, Adaptibar, NCBE) and what was your overall % correct?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:28 pm

pika-pika wrote:Hi Joe - I failed NY February. Could you please help me understand my score and what to do for the July bar?

UBE overall - 263
MBE scaled - 143.3 (72% percentile)
Written score - 119.6

My Barbri simulated midterm raw score was 130/200; Barbri final (3 days before the exam) - 67/100.

Thank you very much!
I'm sorry to hear that you failed the F19 exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 143.3, your estimated raw MBE score was about 128/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 73.1% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 67.2% percentile for the MBE. This means that 32.8% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 143.3 (based on national data for the past 7 years). On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. In your case, you answered 66% correct in practice based on practice questions, and I estimate you answered 73% correct on the exam. This is a difference of 7%. Therefore you over-performed on the exam.

Based on a total score of 263, your written score was 119.7, which would have placed you in the 13.9% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 86.1% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 40.6% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 263 (meaning that 59.5% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

You scored a 263 on the exam which means your written portion was regraded. According to 22 NYCRR 6000.11, 'the MEE and MPT answers for each applicant who receives a total weighted scale score of 262 to 265 following the initial grading of his or her examination shall be regraded by graders other than the initial graders prior to the release of results. The applicant's scores shall then be recomputed to arrive at a final UBE score. There is no appeal from a final score. The initial score prior to re-grading shall not be made available to the applicant.' In my experience, examinees whose essays are regraded usually pass. Accordingly, for some reason the regrader did not give you enough credit on your MEE and/or MPT answers to give you the extra few points you needed to pass. My advice to you is to order your essays/MPTs to better understand what the graders did not like about your answers.

I can provide you with a free 15 page confidential analysis of your scoring along with advice if you complete the following form:
http://seperac.com/scoreform.php

Please note you wont receive the score report for 1-2 weeks as I still am collecting scores to figure out the scale.

If you order your written answers, I can provide you with a free 40+-page MEE/MPT Analysis. More information regarding this report is here:
https://www.seperac.com/#RETAKERS

Please note the MEE/MPT Analysis report wouldn't be completed until mid-June due to its complexity.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:33 pm

Lancair wrote: Thanks Joe - does 354 make her the highest score from a foreign-educated examinee you've seen? I'm just basking in the reflected glory here. :lol:
Yes, the 354 is the highest UBE score I've ever seen from a foreign examinee, so bask away. No pressure, but those would be some pretty smart kids.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:41 pm

Jbeans wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:

Thank you so much!

Joe, thanks so much for this! For F19, I finished all the questions in the Kaplan MBE book (around 1,000 questions there incl. the practice exams) and 300 or so questions from S&T. For S&T, I focused on my weaker subjects. I knew I didn't have time to do as many questions as I liked (ideally a minimum of 1,500), so I made sure that I learnt and memorized the law for every question that I got incorrect.

I read on another thread that you think there might be a correlation between a candidate's MPRE and MBE scores. I did the MPRE in 2016 and scored a 99 after studying for 12 hours over 2 days. Do you have any thoughts on how an MPRE score of 99 correlates to an MBE score of 136.9?
Thanks for the follow-up, and yes, there is a correlation (a strong one in your case). Based on your MPRE score of 99, you answered about 67% correct on the MPRE. According to NCBE, there is a moderately high relationship between MPRE scores and MBE scores (correlation of .58). NCBE also states that MBE scores are a surrogate for total bar exam scores since MBE scores are highly related to total bar exam scores. see http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files ... esting.pdf.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:48 pm

Borris wrote:Hi Joe,

Could you break down my score for the NY Feb 2019 bar exam:

Total score: 322
MBE: 165.7

A bit of background: foreign educated/qualified (Australia). Studied for about 7 weeks total- first 3 while working and last 4 full time. I completed approx. 80% of Barbri (generally scoring 70% - 80% on practice MBE sets).
Barbri Simulated MBE score was 133/200, Barbri Refresher MBE score was 70/100.

I also supplemented with AdaptiBar - approx 1200 questions scoring around 75%.

Thanks!
Borris, congratulations on passing and thanks for anticipating what I would ask you in a followup question.

Based on your scaled MBE score of 165.7, your estimated raw MBE score was about 160/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 91.4% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 97.8% percentile for the MBE. This means that 2.2% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 165.7 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 322, your written score was 156.3, which would have placed you in the 90.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 9.5% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 94.2% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 322 (meaning that 5.8% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. In your case, you answered 75% correct in practice based on 2,000+ practice questions, and I estimate you answered 91% correct on the exam. This is a difference of 16%. Therefore you over-performed on the exam, and I attribute it to your strong Barbri practice scores.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:53 pm

sg.cambs wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
sg.cambs wrote:Hi Joe

Thanks for all your insight on this thread. NY results are just out - curious to know my percentiles etc if possible: Overall 345, MBE 164

Thanks!
Sg.Cambs

Congratulations on passing the F19 exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 164, your estimated raw MBE score was about 157/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 89.7% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 97% percentile for the MBE. This means that 3% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 164 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 345, your written score was 181, which would have placed you in the 100% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 0% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

So what in the world did you do for the written in your studying?
Thanks for this Joe. To give some background I'm a foreign taker (UK), worked full time until about 3 weeks before the exam.

For the MEE I did timed, closed-book essays from early on and at least read and thought about every essay on Themis. I used very clear headers for each component of the questions. For each essay I then took the model answer, removed any factual detail and kept these in master docs for each subject, so by the end of my studies I had a few pages of rule statements for each subject that were pretty comprehensive.

For the MPT I ignored most of the advice to spend 45 mins outlining/45 mins writing. I usually just identified the key points of discussion (e.g. each component of a preliminary injunction test) and made headers for these, then went through the materials and added info where relevant, identifying the source. After that it was just a case of making it into a coherent set of paragraphs. I think doing at least 3 timed MPTs is sensible.

In spite of the prep I was very nervous for the breadth of MEE topics that could come up and I'm surprised by my score. Best of luck to anyone studying for the next exam - happy to discuss or provide some example essays if helpful.
Thanks for the info. I am always curious about the best practices of high scoring candidates. In that vein, I would love to see some of the essays you wrote in practice if you don't mind. Feel free to paste a few in this thread that you think represent the quality/length of an answer you may have written on the actual exam.

FYI, although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 98.5% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 345 (meaning that 1.5% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:55 pm

CaYLaw wrote:Hi Joe. Do you mind giving me a breakdown of scores?

UBE: 279
MBE: 144.7

Really appreciate what you do. Thanks!
Thanks and congratulations on passing. Based on your scaled MBE score of 144.7, your estimated raw MBE score was about 130/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 74.3% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 70.7% percentile for the MBE. This means that 29.3% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 144.7 (based on national data for the past 7 years). In my opinion, you have maybe a 2% chance of failing in NY with a 144 MBE.

Based on a total score of 279, your written score was 134.3, which would have placed you in the 44.1% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 55.9% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 57.4% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 279 (meaning that 42.6% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Houstonttt wrote:Passed and almost 90% nation wide( My estimation from my score), while I didnt pass the JULY
i didnt do anything diffreint but I had the confindence AND Igonred all the negative ppl arround

GOOD LUCK ALL and I am sure you can do it , its not hard at all .. AFTER I DIDNT PASS FIRST TIME still not hard at all.. SUPER HAPPY
Congratulations. What state? I can give you some stats if you post the MBE/UBE score.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:00 am

Lucyschmo wrote:Hey Joe, would especially love the percentile estimate for my written score and my estimated raw MBE for the f19 NY bar. 348 total, 176.8 mbe.

I did Themis and about 95%, also used critical pass a little bit. Don’t remember the exact numbers but I definitely significantly overperformed my practice tests in both parts, especially the essays; I think I got below 50% on all but one.

Thanks so much!!
Great job! I can't even accurately estimate your raw MBE score because your scaled score was so high. The 176 MBE places you in the 99.8% percentile for the MBE. This means that only 0.2% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 176.8 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 348, your written score was 171.2, which would have placed you in the 99.2% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 0.8% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 99.5% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 348 (meaning that 0.5% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

If you don't mind one quick question, if you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be? I ask this to see if there is any commonality in answers among high scoring examinees.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:07 am

Ty Webb wrote:Curious if you can give me any breakdown of my score (I know Texas has less data).

Texas
Score: 767
Scaled MBE: 141.1

My suspicion is that I must have destroyed the writing to get that top line score with that mediocre by my standard MBE.

FWIW, I did not use a bar prep company. I bought the BarBri outline and Conviser online. I studied an hour or so per day while working full-time until about 2 weeks before the exam, when I began studying 3-4 hours per day. I spent the week before the exam studying 5 or so hours per day.

I only got my MBE practice questions from a free source online, which probably hurt my score there. Glad it didn't matter. I'd guess I did 1000 or so practice questions on that site. My timed average was 84%.

I have been out of law school for six years, so I'm pleasantly surprised with this result. I think I was helped by being a professional writer (I've been writing on hard, timed deadlines for years and have written a book). Also my now legal job involves post-conviction criminal stuff. So I do a lot of intense legal analysis and writing. I'm guessing this explains the disparity between my writing score and MBE.
Congratulations on passing Texas. Based on your scaled MBE score of 141.1, your estimated raw MBE score was about 125/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 71.4% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 61.8% percentile for the MBE. This means that 38.2% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 141.1 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

I attempted to convert your Written and Total Scores to the UBE Scale. I estimate your Total UBE Score would have been 306.8. Based on a total score of 306.8, your written score was 165.7, which would have placed you in the 97.8% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 2.2% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 79.8% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 306.8 (meaning that 20.2% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

Was the online MBE source BarPrepHero?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

donexyz

New

Post by donexyz » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:12 am

Joe - thank you so much. I bought your notes in 2016 for NY and today I used them for TX. Passed TX and I am really relieved!!!

TLS bloggers - please buy Seperac outlines and use it as your main draft or final draft and begin your studies. I made few changes to the outline as it helped me understand better, but if you dont have the time Seperac's outlines are great!! His outlines are based on barbri conviser, barbri lecture notes and past exams. So if you are using barbri conviser, then Seperac outlines are an excellent source. Also his analysis of your scores would help you understand your weak areas and focus better.

I never scored great in MBE but must say that I narrowly passed the bar exams both the time. NY MBE - 126 (dont release the final score) and TX MBE 131 (final score 676 :shock: :shock: :shock: ). Just relieved to be done with them!

Lucyschmo

New

Post by Lucyschmo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:11 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
Lucyschmo wrote:Hey Joe, would especially love the percentile estimate for my written score and my estimated raw MBE for the f19 NY bar. 348 total, 176.8 mbe.

Thanks so much!!
Great job! I can't even accurately estimate your raw MBE score because your scaled score was so high. The 176 MBE places you in the 99.8% percentile for the MBE. This means that only 0.2% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 176.8 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 348, your written score was 171.2, which would have placed you in the 99.2% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 0.8% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 99.5% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 348 (meaning that 0.5% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

If you don't mind one quick question, if you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be? I ask this to see if there is any commonality in answers among high scoring examinees.
Thanks!

Honestly? I’m a really good standardized test taker. I’ve never gotten below the 99th percentile on a standardized test. I wasn’t sure that would extend to the bar cause of the knowledge involved, but I think it did.

Like I said I did almost all Themis (including not-quite-but-nearly all the mbe sets), though by the end I was only outlining the essays and I have many thoughts on the Themis essay prep. On the mbe I looked at the explanations for the ones I got wrong, and I focused on content, not strategy. I didn’t read the call of the question first or anything like that, I just read the questions. I watched all the lectures at 1.5 speed but I did watch all of them and fill in the outlines, and on a couple topics I was iffy on I actually listened to them again towards the end. I also started about two weeks late, so I did more per day, though since I was doing the videos faster, only outlining essays, and spending less than 2/3 the allotted time in mbe sets, it wasn’t too much more time per day.

Zork

New

Post by Zork » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:31 am

Joe, I got it on the 4th try! Could you please let me know where I stand? I'm guessing I did mediocre on the other 60%???

Texas
Score: 702
Scaled MBE: 148.3

donexyz

New

Post by donexyz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Lucyschmo wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:

Thanks so much!!

Thanks!

Honestly? I’m a really good standardized test taker. I’ve never gotten below the 99th percentile on a standardized test. I wasn’t sure that would extend to the bar cause of the knowledge involved, but I think it did.

Like I said I did almost all Themis (including not-quite-but-nearly all the mbe sets), though by the end I was only outlining the essays and I have many thoughts on the Themis essay prep. On the mbe I looked at the explanations for the ones I got wrong, and I focused on content, not strategy. I didn’t read the call of the question first or anything like that, I just read the questions. I watched all the lectures at 1.5 speed but I did watch all of them and fill in the outlines, and on a couple topics I was iffy on I actually listened to them again towards the end. I also started about two weeks late, so I did more per day, though since I was doing the videos faster, only outlining essays, and spending less than 2/3 the allotted time in mbe sets, it wasn’t too much more time per day.
You are genius.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”