Character and Fitness: am on disability for depression Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Impfac

New

Character and Fitness: am on disability for depression

Post by Impfac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 am

I've been on SSD for like 6 years. Originally it was for mental health (depression) but later (2014) I found out I had a major hormone and thyroid disorder that causes depression. Now that the hormone/thyroid stuff is under control (in my 2l), I'm ready to tell SSD after my 2l summer that I don't think I am disabled anymore. It took a lot of messing with meds but I think I'm finally there.

But I lay awake at night with a sense of dread because I think the C&F will never let me sit for the bar regardless of when/if I'm off disability before applying.

Planning on applying in GA. I'd love to avoid the whole thing but I'll disclose my disability, try to get doctors notes, SS's notes, whatever. I don't plan on hiding anything.

Thoughts? How fucked am I?

JackSparrow123

New

Re: Character and Fitness: am on disability for depression

Post by JackSparrow123 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:10 am

Impfac wrote:I've been on SSD for like 6 years. Originally it was for mental health (depression) but later (2014) I found out I had a major hormone and thyroid disorder that causes depression. Now that the hormone/thyroid stuff is under control (in my 2l), I'm ready to tell SSD after my 2l summer that I don't think I am disabled anymore. It took a lot of messing with meds but I think I'm finally there.

But I lay awake at night with a sense of dread because I think the C&F will never let me sit for the bar regardless of when/if I'm off disability before applying.

Planning on applying in GA. I'd love to avoid the whole thing but I'll disclose my disability, try to get doctors notes, SS's notes, whatever. I don't plan on hiding anything.

Thoughts? How fucked am I?
You should check GA bar application because the application usually asks if you currently have an ongoing condition that may hinder you from practice of law. If so, I think you should be okay and even if you end up having to list your disability you should still be fine. Do not worry. Mental issues are not uncommon in this profession.

Impfac

New

Post by Impfac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm concerned if I don't disclose, it will be perceived as concealment. I do plan on consulting an attorney soon about it. I'm less focused on what I can ethically hide and more concerned with how to properly disclose. With my history, I feel like leaving anything out will be a perfect excuse to kick my application back for a pretense of a non-discriminatory justification.

This is the prompt for GA that makes me worried:

Has your functioning at school or at work ever been sufficiently impaired (as the result of substance abuse, alcohol abuse, or a mental, emotional, or nervous or behavior disorder or condition) as to require inpatient or outpatient treatment?

Well, sure, I was inpatient in 2003 for like 4 days and outpatient various times including now. Which gets into the whole can of worms of my entire psych and physical history.

Theres also 2 I would honestly answer NO to:

Do you currently have any condition or impairment... that in any way affects your ability to practice law in a competent, ethical, and professional manner? "currently" means recently enough that the condition or impairment could reasonably affect your ability to function as a lawyer.

Within the past five years, have you asserted any condition or impairment as a defense, in mitigation, or as an explanation for your conduct in the course of any inquiry, any investigation, or any administrative or judicial proceeding by an educational institution, government agency, professional organization, or licensing authority, or in connection with an employment disciplinary or termination procedure?

JackSparrow123

New

Post by JackSparrow123 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:05 am

Impfac wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm concerned if I don't disclose, it will be perceived as concealment. I do plan on consulting an attorney soon about it. I'm less focused on what I can ethically hide and more concerned with how to properly disclose. With my history, I feel like leaving anything out will be a perfect excuse to kick my application back for a pretense of a non-discriminatory justification.

This is the prompt for GA that makes me worried:

Has your functioning at school or at work ever been sufficiently impaired (as the result of substance abuse, alcohol abuse, or a mental, emotional, or nervous or behavior disorder or condition) as to require inpatient or outpatient treatment?

Well, sure, I was inpatient in 2003 for like 4 days and outpatient various times including now. Which gets into the whole can of worms of my entire psych and physical history.

Theres also 2 I would honestly answer NO to:

Do you currently have any condition or impairment... that in any way affects your ability to practice law in a competent, ethical, and professional manner? "currently" means recently enough that the condition or impairment could reasonably affect your ability to function as a lawyer.

Within the past five years, have you asserted any condition or impairment as a defense, in mitigation, or as an explanation for your conduct in the course of any inquiry, any investigation, or any administrative or judicial proceeding by an educational institution, government agency, professional organization, or licensing authority, or in connection with an employment disciplinary or termination procedure?
Was your functioning "sufficiently" impaired by the condition? Or were you functioning just fine?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”