MPRE Prep--Please help Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PAGuyana

New

MPRE Prep--Please help

Post by PAGuyana » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:10 pm

I've been out of law field for about a decade. Missed the cut off for my state by about 8 points.

Can anyone give advice on how to prepare for the MPRE?

I need to score above an 85.

Thanks in advice.

pfunkera

Bronze

Re: MPRE Prep--Please help

Post by pfunkera » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:37 am

I got a free book from Barbri that had question sets, but I also took professional responsibility within a few months of taking the MPRE. Not sure if Barbri will offer the free MPRE book if you are not in law school.

hellaperla

New

Post by hellaperla » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am

I took the March 2018 exam and got the free MPRE course from Barbri online and it's all there - lectures videos, reading materials and practice tests. All you need to do is register. Good luck!

Pawprynt

New

Post by Pawprynt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:22 am

I used Themis to prep for the MPRE. I had learned absolutely nothing in PR the semester before. I did the entire course (2 weeks is the recommended time) including all practice tests. I read the reasoning for all answers. I got a 110. I may have overkilled the studying, but I have anxiety and can’t not do the whole thing.

Any of the 3 major bar review courses give them out for free. I used Themis since I will be taking them for the bar in July. I would use whichever program you plan to use for taking the bar so you are used to your program layout. I loved Themis for what it’s worth!

Also I left the MPRE feeling like I failed (weird experimental questions). I believe that’s normal.

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Kaplan, Themis, and Barbri all offer free MPRE prep. I used Barbri and Kaplan.

My only issue with Kaplan was that the explanatory answers for the MC questions a little unhelpful. "B is wrong because C is correct." lol OK?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:57 pm

PAGuyana wrote:I've been out of law field for about a decade. Missed the cut off for my state by about 8 points.

Can anyone give advice on how to prepare for the MPRE?

I need to score above an 85.

Thanks in advice.
Was in a similar situation, though only 3 years removed from law field. I used the Themis MPRE prep and just did the entire course exactly as they laid it out for me. I don't remember exact time spent, but I was able complete the course in a week, working full time (only 40 hours though, 9-5 job where taking work home is extremely rare). Would have been a lot more comfortable and a lot less crammed if I had done the course over two weeks instead, but I passed with somewhere around 103-106.

Can't say anything for Kaplan, tried Barbri's for a day and hated it.

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:23 pm

HI, I passed finally on my 6th try... using JD Advising (their course)- their outline was good. passed in nov. But did not pass the bar.....

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 am

It's very similar to preparing for the MBE only on a much smaller scale. You need to find some time to review the substantive law and then practicing applying that law to sample questions. I like the barbri questions and also be sure to do the practice exams that are sold on the NCBE website. Learn the law and practice applying it; the key to both the MBE and the MPRE.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Lawbrowsor25

New

Post by Lawbrowsor25 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:02 pm

Give yourself time to study. I hate waiting for the last minute. So I just did the Themis course a little everyday for about 2- 3 weeks. Themis was great for the MPRE. It might have been overkill but I scored a 102 the first try. I did it by completing the course and understanding why I got the questions wrong. Nothing else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KT33

New

Post by KT33 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Honestly, I never thought I'd say this, but I can't recommend Kaplan enough. I needed a high enough score for CA (86) and the first time I fell for the BS claims that people always make "you don't need to study for the MPRE it's the easiest test ever" and got a terrible score. The second time I used Barbri (which I found to be absolutely terrible - I'm sorry, but Chemerinsky is impossible to listen to for more than 5min...) and missed the cut-off by 2 points (got an 84...). The third time I did Kaplan and got a 107. I studied leisurely for about 2 weeks, but was very efficient about studying and focussing while I was studying. After you make it through either the notes or the lectures once just do non-stop practice problems and read every answer. Make sure to have a system for keeping track of what you got wrong. I found that having a list of hand-written explanations worked best for me - one page devoted to logic tricks that caused me to miss a question and one page devoted to legal rules that commonly tripped me up - re-read these every time you do a practice test and re-read them all the way up until the exam starts prior to entering the room. Also, keep in mind that there are really only like 5 logic rules that they use again and again and again on the MPRE whereas on the Bar I feel like they have endless methods of tripping you up. I noticed just starting my studies by focussing on some of these logic tricks increased my score by 20 scaled points from my first practice test to the second one. IF you have time, it's also really helpful to read through the rules one time including the notes (apparently about 50% or more of the probs come from annotations, which I definitely thought was true for my exam). Definitely don't try to memorize the whole book, but just having read it once through helps a ton with process of elimination. Good luck!

Lawbrowsor25

New

Post by Lawbrowsor25 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:28 am

I would recommend using Themis. I passed with a 102. I just read the outline multiple times, did the entire 2 week course and read over the questions I got wrong. completely prepared me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”