Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tqi3

New

Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Post by tqi3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 pm

I long for being a patent lawyer and I am an undergraduate pursuing a comp sci degree. I could graduate with a B.A. degree in comp sci instead of a B.S degree in the same major and it kinda matters as in the time I graduate. Can I go for prosecution with a B.A. in STEM ? (I understand that a STEM degree is necessary.) And if I could, will a B.S. degree be better anyways as in L2 internship and further professional requirements/ability after I start to work?
Thank you

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:10 pm

You need more than just a BS (and yes you need a BS). You need a MA and a PHD generally.

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:37 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:You need more than just a BS (and yes you need a BS). You need a MA and a PHD generally.
the above statement is 100% false

See explanation starting on page 6

https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/fil ... ED_GRB.pdf

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:42 pm

tqi3 wrote:I long for being a patent lawyer and I am an undergraduate pursuing a comp sci degree. I could graduate with a B.A. degree in comp sci instead of a B.S degree in the same major and it kinda matters as in the time I graduate. Can I go for prosecution with a B.A. in STEM ? (I understand that a STEM degree is necessary.) And if I could, will a B.S. degree be better anyways as in L2 internship and further professional requirements/ability after I start to work?
Thank you
I had a B.A. in Chemistry, but I also had a M.S. in Synthetic Organic Chemistry. See the document I posted because it is pretty thorough about what you need. You only need a "bachelor's" degree. You can even qualify without a bachelor's degree in the noted fields if you have the required coursework or can satisfy other requirements.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:You need more than just a BS (and yes you need a BS). You need a MA and a PHD generally.
What? Why are you spreading this nonsense? You just need a bachelors in one of the specified fields in order to eligible to sit for the patent bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whelmer

New

Post by whelmer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:21 pm

My friend doing patent law has a BS in mech eng and a JD. Undergrad is enough. I have heard that IP for life sciences does sometimes seek advanced degrees, but a BA in comp sci is fine.

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:29 am

A bachelor’s degree in STEM is all you need to be eligible for the patent bar. No distinction between between BS and BA. As a practical matter, however, it’s easier to find a job in patent prosecution with an advanced degree. Is the boost worth the extra schooling? Depends on your undergrad GPA and LSAT score, but the answer is probably no. For patent litigation, you don’t even need a STEM degree.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:43 am

Leo wrote:A bachelor’s degree in STEM is all you need to be eligible for the patent bar. No distinction between between BS and BA. As a practical matter, however, it’s easier to find a job in patent prosecution with an advanced degree. Is the boost worth the extra schooling? Depends on your undergrad GPA and LSAT score, but the answer is probably no. For patent litigation, you don’t even need a STEM degree.
This is the correct answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”