The best materials and courses to study, and kill the MBE Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Neve

Bronze

Re: The best materials and courses to study, and kill the MBE

Post by Neve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:21 am

M_Law wrote:
justanotheruser wrote:I finished Emanuel S&T first and then moved over to Adaptibar. I did about 1900 questions for the Feb. '18 CA bar exam. Passed the test and, according to NCBE's score advisory, my MBE score was at least 150.
Curious if you were also using a commercial bar prep program on top of the other stuff?

I definitely am getting results from doing REAL questions in the Emanuel S&T with a combo of BarMax questions, which are mostly UBE I believe. I feel like BarBari has an overkill of videos and miscellaneous tasks that tend to consume too much time without consistent MBE practice questions. Thoughts?
Yes, I recommend doing a supplement like Adaptibar, Critical Pass, and Emanuel S&T, in addition to traditional bar course like Barbri or Kaplan. Now, my thoughts on bar courses is that they are all cookie cutter. The bar course is designed for the masses, not the individual student. Barbri, Kaplan, or Themis is not tailored to you. I didn't follow the course to a T - I find that most students vary it a bit to suit their own learning style/needs.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 pm

juliejul wrote:I relied entirely on Themis practice questions, and scored a 160.6 on the Feb '18 UBE. I don't think it's a matter of having 6 different study supplements and I don't understand how people even have time for this - just figure out what works for you, and commit to it. Put in the time and be disciplined about it.

I fully agree with this. Pick your supplements wisely. You won't have time for 6 different supplements, but one or two well chosen supplements can make a difference.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm

What has helped me the most. The 100 page MBE guide from jd advising, critical pass, and the 200 newly released questions from the NCBE. If I don't pass this time, I will soley start day one memorizing critical pass, doing MBE daily, and looking through essay questions posted on state website.

carcollector

New

Post by carcollector » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:23 pm

verejacob wrote:For me, Barbri's midterm, refresher, as well as NCBE questions helped a lot. I bought S&T. Never opened it. Bought Critical Pass too but dumped it after some time because I don't learn well from flash cards. I also almost subscribed Adaptibar but backed out at last moment. For Feb 2018 exam, made own outlines based on Barbri lectures and Conviser. Foreign educated and repeat taker. Scored 100 in MBE in Feb 2017, 135 in July 2017 and passed Feb 2018 exam with 140.5 in MBE. Not a stellar score but am very happy because I just practised 300-400 questions for Feb 2018 exam compared to 1200-1500 questions for the July 2017 exam.
How did you approach preparing for the MBEs the time you passed, and from what source did you study? It seems you emphasized quality over quantity, but what exactly did you do? Thank you!!!

carcollector

New

Post by carcollector » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:30 pm

L_William_W wrote:Kaplan MBE

Strategies and Tactics Finz

Emanuel MBE bootcamp

AVOID ADAPTIBAR

I literally went from a 118.6 MBE on the July 2014 NY bar exam to a 149.3 on the July 2017 NY bar.
Why should we avoid AdaptiBar? Also, what is the Emanuel MBE Bootcamp about and do you have an isbn? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carcollector

New

Post by carcollector » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:What has helped me the most. The 100 page MBE guide from jd advising, critical pass, and the 200 newly released questions from the NCBE. If I don't pass this time, I will soley start day one memorizing critical pass, doing MBE daily, and looking through essay questions posted on state website.
Can you talk more about the JD Advising MBE guide?

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Law&coffee wrote:
juliejul wrote:I relied entirely on Themis practice questions, and scored a 160.6 on the Feb '18 UBE. I don't think it's a matter of having 6 different study supplements and I don't understand how people even have time for this - just figure out what works for you, and commit to it. Put in the time and be disciplined about it.

I fully agree with this. Pick your supplements wisely. You won't have time for 6 different supplements, but one or two well chosen supplements can make a difference.
I fully agree with this too. Choose your supplements wisely otherwise you risk overloading yourself.

I used Themis, which is really all you need. The only supplement I did get was Critical Pass flashcards, because that's one area where Themis doesn't provide (although Themis does have a function to allow you to create your own flashcards).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”