Sixth time taker passed with a 278 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Dontgiveup14

New

Sixth time taker passed with a 278

Post by Dontgiveup14 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Hello friend,

I'm a long time follower of TLS, this relationship goes way back prior to law school. Back to when I was still in undergrad and I had dreams of attending law school. I graduated in 2014. The first time I took the bar, I studied with Kaplan for the UBE and I missed it by six points. A death occurred in the family and I took a year off. I was able to convince Kaplan to provide me another bar prep course for free, and so begins 'the loop.'

My story, truly is the Loop. I failed my second time by 12 points. Then, on my third try, I decided to drop Kaplan and purchased Adaptibar for the first time. Then, I was in this crazy state of trying to pass the UBE (260 jurisdiction) by attaining a beautiful MBE score. Mind you, my written has always been my power house. After incorporating Adapitbar, I was able to raise my MBE scores by 20 points, but because I neglected my essay portion I failed the bar by 12 points. This is my life....ladies and gentleman for the next three years. What is that saying, "the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect the same results?" Well.... same thing.

With Adaptibar, I was scoring in the higher 70% percentile, but it did not transfer to test day. I failed again in July for my 3rd, 4th, and 5th (244-245) time by 15 points. Anyone who knows failure, understands how depressing that can be. I contemplated suicide, I drank myself to oblivion. But, you know what made me get back on that horse for the 6th time? The fact, that if I was advocating for a client, I wouldn't give up. I'm relentless. So, friends...I am here today to offer you some encouragement.

By the sixth time, I enrolled in an expensive (but worth it bar course) and I only used recently released MBE questions. Yes, this included a little of Adaptibar, but I scaled back because I was afraid that I had the questions memorized so it wasn't a good assessment of my scores. Further, I studied every single essay from the MEE since 2010. I wrote over 50 essays, when before I only wrote an average of 10 essays per bar study. Today, I am proud to say I scored a 278! My score increased from a 244 (5th time) to a 278! I don't know what my MBE score is, but I ordered it and so I will find out soon.

Please don't give up! There is still hope. As long as you have the dream. Don't give up! I would rather get the 278 today, then have received a 260 yesterday, does that make sense?

If your scores aren’t changing or if you're only seeing minimal improvements, just remember it's not you and how smart you are, really evaluate what you're studying and how you're studying. Because maybe you're not truly targeting your weaknesses.

I'm rooting for you, and if anyone wants to ask me any questions please feel free to ask.

My best,

T

alexgreat

New

Re: Sixth time taker passed with a 278

Post by alexgreat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:15 pm

This is the only encouraging thing Ive read all day after failing for my 2nd time in FL. I missed the July exam by 8.5 points and was extremely confident I was going to pass the February, alas that wasn't so. I was scoring great all winter between BARBRI and Adaptibar, exceeding 65% consistently and my last 2 weeks over 70%. I don't really know what to do with myself right now, beyond depressed, had 2 drinks this am of some bourbon but I am finding it very difficult today. I guess a story like yours has been helpful and congrats on passing.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Dontgiveup14 wrote:Hello friend,

I'm a long time follower of TLS, this relationship goes way back prior to law school. Back to when I was still in undergrad and I had dreams of attending law school. I graduated in 2014. The first time I took the bar, I studied with Kaplan for the UBE and I missed it by six points. A death occurred in the family and I took a year off. I was able to convince Kaplan to provide me another bar prep course for free, and so begins 'the loop.'

My story, truly is the Loop. I failed my second time by 12 points. Then, on my third try, I decided to drop Kaplan and purchased Adaptibar for the first time. Then, I was in this crazy state of trying to pass the UBE (260 jurisdiction) by attaining a beautiful MBE score. Mind you, my written has always been my power house. After incorporating Adapitbar, I was able to raise my MBE scores by 20 points, but because I neglected my essay portion I failed the bar by 12 points. This is my life....ladies and gentleman for the next three years. What is that saying, "the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect the same results?" Well.... same thing.

With Adaptibar, I was scoring in the higher 70% percentile, but it did not transfer to test day. I failed again in July for my 3rd, 4th, and 5th (244-245) time by 15 points. Anyone who knows failure, understands how depressing that can be. I contemplated suicide, I drank myself to oblivion. But, you know what made me get back on that horse for the 6th time? The fact, that if I was advocating for a client, I wouldn't give up. I'm relentless. So, friends...I am here today to offer you some encouragement.

By the sixth time, I enrolled in an expensive (but worth it bar course) and I only used recently released MBE questions. Yes, this included a little of Adaptibar, but I scaled back because I was afraid that I had the questions memorized so it wasn't a good assessment of my scores. Further, I studied every single essay from the MEE since 2010. I wrote over 50 essays, when before I only wrote an average of 10 essays per bar study. Today, I am proud to say I scored a 278! My score increased from a 244 (5th time) to a 278! I don't know what my MBE score is, but I ordered it and so I will find out soon.

Please don't give up! There is still hope. As long as you have the dream. Don't give up! I would rather get the 278 today, then have received a 260 yesterday, does that make sense?

If your scores aren’t changing or if you're only seeing minimal improvements, just remember it's not you and how smart you are, really evaluate what you're studying and how you're studying. Because maybe you're not truly targeting your weaknesses.

I'm rooting for you, and if anyone wants to ask me any questions please feel free to ask.

My best,

T

Congrats, I can only imagine the joy you have felt. I am studying for the July bar exam, Ohio. My reach job is contingent upon me passing the July Bar exam. I also have to work for that firm during bar prep where I am salaried above the average comp for the area and type of law so I am sure they will work me to the bone. I also have to move by May 14th for this job (was in my offer letter) to an area I have no connections. I had a very low lsat so I have worried all thru law school on my ability to pass the bar exam. I already started studying 2 weeks ago. I am using Themis.

NYturnedFLlawyer

New

Post by NYturnedFLlawyer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Congrats to you!

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 pm

My best,

T
Aww! Refreshingly uplifting! I hope I will be able to tell a story like this very soon. I have always passed the MBE portion of the exam, but with consistently mediocre essays! Very well done for your achievement and many congratulations! Have fun!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Congrats to you!

Thanks for posting such an encouraging story! Really shows our courage and gives hope to those in similar situations. :)

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:53 pm

What if your dream dies when you fail the second time?

geraffe

New

Post by geraffe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 pm

My best,

T
Congratulations, T! So impressed with your persistence, and so glad it paid off. Happy esquire-dom!

byag

New

Post by byag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:24 am

@dontgiveup14: Congrats! Your resiliency is truly inspiring!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChiliBowlWonder

New

Post by ChiliBowlWonder » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 pm

"Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do." - Pele

IwiLLdoIt

New

Post by IwiLLdoIt » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Just failed the NY Feb 2018 MBE 123.6 Written 113.17. Studying as of today!!! all suggestions welcomed!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 am

Wow, I'm trying to imagine the feeling when you saw that you passed. It had to have been absolutely amazing.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

sheeeluh

New

Post by sheeeluh » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:09 pm

This is fucking awesome and I am so proud of you! I just failed the second time and would love any insight or what you used/programs etc to study the last time. Thank you and again congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sheeeluh

New

Post by sheeeluh » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Congrats man this is so awesome! Can I ask what you did the last time that was different? You mentioned a more expensive bar program so I would appreciate any knowledge you can pass on. Thank you!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:29 pm

Congrats Dontgiveup14 !! Persistence pays off!!!

nyaspirations

New

Post by nyaspirations » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:15 am

Congrats. You are an inspiration. I am on 4th attempt and still waiting on results for February. Hoping not to make it my 5th.

Besides writing 50 essay questions, what is your secret? What Bar Course did you take? How long did you prepare each day? Were you working?

Dontgiveup14

New

Post by Dontgiveup14 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Hello, Everyone.

My apologies for the delay. So, I signed up with JD Advising UBE course. I followed their system and trusted their study plan.
Full disclosure it was expensive, but you get what you pay for... it was a rigorously structured hands-on bar prep. It felt like being back in law school. What I needed was a deep dive substantive review and that’s what I got and that’s how I passed. They offer other services that vary in depth. I studied about six hours each day; including Sundays. I truly followed their plan.

I hope this helps! Please IM for more info and we can speak privately. No, I am not a rep.

:)

Dontgiveup14

New

Post by Dontgiveup14 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Also, thank you so much for the congratulations!! I appreciate it. I almost fainted when I got my results. :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”