Only getting 50% on themis MBE...? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawworld19

Bronze

Only getting 50% on themis MBE...?

Post by Lawworld19 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Getting 50-55% on mbe for contracts and property so far. Anyone have similar experience?

iplaw4me2

New

Re: Only getting 50% on themis MBE...?

Post by iplaw4me2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Yes. Absolutely. Property I could accept doing poorly on because it's a hard topic, but Contracts I aced in law school and the rules are somewhat intuitive. On the other hand, on the recent February exam I was 3.5 years out of law school so apparently I forgot a lot of things.

I will say this - when I took the 2014 bar in California I was dominating those subjects by the end, but only after 10 weeks of intensive study. This time I only took 2 weeks off work before the UBE and I never did bring up my contract and property scores to more than low 60's, mainly because I didn't put in the time to memorize all the rules. My final MBE score on this UBE was 147.

You will get there. Just make sure you're planning to do 2,000 or so of the Themis MBE's, using the Themis tools to repeatedly go back over the questions you missed, and READ STRATEGIES AND TACTICS. That's a really helpful book. At least read the intros to each chapter if nothing else. That advice in that book alone is worth a few bonus points on each topic on the exam. It won't change your performance dramatically but definitely a few points here and there you would miss otherwise.

Beanboi

New

Post by Beanboi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:19 pm

At the beginning I was scoring around that. By bar exam time I was scoring 75-80%. I used Themis and passed. I did 100% of the course.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:53 pm

iplaw4me2 wrote:Yes. Absolutely. Property I could accept doing poorly on because it's a hard topic, but Contracts I aced in law school and the rules are somewhat intuitive. On the other hand, on the recent February exam I was 3.5 years out of law school so apparently I forgot a lot of things.

I will say this - when I took the 2014 bar in California I was dominating those subjects by the end, but only after 10 weeks of intensive study. This time I only took 2 weeks off work before the UBE and I never did bring up my contract and property scores to more than low 60's, mainly because I didn't put in the time to memorize all the rules. My final MBE score on this UBE was 147.

You will get there. Just make sure you're planning to do 2,000 or so of the Themis MBE's, using the Themis tools to repeatedly go back over the questions you missed, and READ STRATEGIES AND TACTICS. That's a really helpful book. At least read the intros to each chapter if nothing else. That advice in that book alone is worth a few bonus points on each topic on the exam. It won't change your performance dramatically but definitely a few points here and there you would miss otherwise.
I appreciate the response. I have heard from a few people now that S + T is well worth the $. I will get on that ASAP.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm

iplaw4me2 wrote:Yes. Absolutely. Property I could accept doing poorly on because it's a hard topic, but Contracts I aced in law school and the rules are somewhat intuitive. On the other hand, on the recent February exam I was 3.5 years out of law school so apparently I forgot a lot of things.

I am not in an UBE jurisdiction so I am unfamiliar with the scoring. Don't you need a 260 in any state to pass? Did you pass the UBE?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iplaw4me2

New

Post by iplaw4me2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:12 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:

I am not in an UBE jurisdiction so I am unfamiliar with the scoring. Don't you need a 260 in any state to pass? Did you pass the UBE?
Yeah, I got bonus points for completing the essays as well (added 154 more points). :D :D

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:01 am

iplaw4me2 wrote:
Lawworld19 wrote:

Yeah, I got bonus points for completing the essays as well (added 154 more points). :D :D
haha, sorry I was confused.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”