NATIONAL MBE MEAN = 132.775 WHAT IS GOING ON AT THE NCBE?? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
L_William_W

Bronze

Re: NATIONAL MBE MEAN = 132.775 WHAT IS GOING ON AT THE NCBE??

Post by L_William_W » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:34 pm

DrainTheNCBEswamp wrote:Didn't pass the MBE. Again, I was averaging in the high 60's on adaptibar. Can those who did well on the MBE give me any advice on review courses/materials they recommend/used for this MBE? Any other advice? I am only talking the MBE as I passed my state portion already. Some people have also told me to retake the state portion to get the benefit of the average but I just don't think that is a good idea..

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
As I've said many times, Adaptibar is a ripoff. The questions on Adaptibar don't reflect what's on the actual exam. I took the bar exam 6 times (three in NY and three in NJ. I passed each on the third attempt). I used Adaptibar back in July 2014 and my MBE was a 118.6. Three years later, I used the various Emanuel's MBE Bootcamp books which are available on Amazon. My MBE increased to a 149.3. Those books give many strategies on how to tackle the bar.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:46 pm

L_William_W wrote:
DrainTheNCBEswamp wrote:Didn't pass the MBE. Again, I was averaging in the high 60's on adaptibar. Can those who did well on the MBE give me any advice on review courses/materials they recommend/used for this MBE? Any other advice? I am only talking the MBE as I passed my state portion already. Some people have also told me to retake the state portion to get the benefit of the average but I just don't think that is a good idea..

Thanks!
As I've said many times, Adaptibar is a ripoff. The questions on Adaptibar don't reflect what's on the actual exam. I took the bar exam 6 times (three in NY and three in NJ. I passed each on the third attempt). I used Adaptibar back in July 2014 and my MBE was a 118.6. Three years later, I used the various Emanuel's MBE Bootcamp books which are available on Amazon. My MBE increased to a 149.3. Those books give many strategies on how to tackle the bar.
Adaptibar literally reflects prior bar exam questions...

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:54 pm

L_William_W wrote:

Thanks!
I did about 1000 AdaptiBar questions and figured I would do one of NCBE's released set of questions. Well, at least 10-20 of the questions from NCBE were exact copies of what I did through AdaptiBar. Thus, AdaptiBar does have actual bar questions. I am pretty sure the vast majority of questions in AdaptiBar are released bar questions.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Guccifer91 wrote: TLDR: bank on there being more idiots taking the bar these days
I suppose that, given most February takers are repeats who previously failed the exam, but there are always a significant batch of first time takers, there might not be a normal distribution? Given the number of test takers though, I'd have to imaging that the mean and median are close.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:17 am

Thanks!

IMHO, high 60's on Adaptibar is cutting it too close to feel "comfortable"' passing the MBE. I think Adaptibar students should strive for the low 70's at 2000+ questions at the very least, preferable in the 80's for the final 350 questions right before the exam. That is what I hit last July 2017, and it worked for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:19 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:

Thanks!

IMHO, high 60's on Adaptibar is cutting it too close to feel "comfortable"' passing the MBE. I think Adaptibar students should strive for the low 70's at 2000+ questions at the very least, preferable in the 80's for the final 350 questions right before the exam. That is what I hit last July 2017, and it worked for me.

Drain, there's still a lot to question here. Generally speaking 65-75% is right on par with 140ish scaled mbe. Did you complete the entire adaptibar program? Say you only did 500 or so questions and averaged what you did, you would have needed to do 2000 or so questions averaging that score, so that high 60s result was not accurate. We need more information here.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:00 am

JustHawkin wrote:
L_William_W wrote:

Thanks!
Adaptibar and Emanuel's have slightly different uses. Adaptibar is better as a prep + diagnostic tool (especially with all of the analytics). You can find out what subjects you're getting wrong, and pinpoint your weaknesses for elimination. You can also see your time/question per subject. Emanuel's is good for gaining skills to tackle the MBE. If you do as prescribed, you will improve your score.

I had it (but didn't really use it as much for Feb 2017 (averaged the mid-50's, only did half the questions). On exam day, barely finished all questions - guessed one a few - I got a 129. For July 2017, I used the same Adaptibar, but did almost all the questions and reviewed my answers. Also saw where I was slower and was able to recue my time per question. Basically, for July, I could see how I was going to perform, and pretty much walked out knowing I did much better - 142.6. I've used Emanuel's, but it was knowing the differences. If I had to do it over, I would've used Emaunel's first, and then Adaptibar to hone it in.

My $.02

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Tue May 15, 2018 12:37 pm

I took stats my first year of college, but I still don't understand a majority of this stuff. In studying (throughout my life), I try to concern myself only with studying and making the grade, so to speak, without banking on others' performance, since I can't control that. But it seems with the Bar, particularly in California, it's more of a game than just studying and doing well enough to pass. It's more than just studying hard and practicing... you have to play with the numbers. If I were good at numbers, I would've chosen one of a million other career paths.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 pm

b290 wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
L_William_W wrote:

Thanks!
Adaptibar and Emanuel's have slightly different uses. Adaptibar is better as a prep + diagnostic tool (especially with all of the analytics). You can find out what subjects you're getting wrong, and pinpoint your weaknesses for elimination. You can also see your time/question per subject. Emanuel's is good for gaining skills to tackle the MBE. If you do as prescribed, you will improve your score.

I had it (but didn't really use it as much for Feb 2017 (averaged the mid-50's, only did half the questions). On exam day, barely finished all questions - guessed one a few - I got a 129. For July 2017, I used the same Adaptibar, but did almost all the questions and reviewed my answers. Also saw where I was slower and was able to recue my time per question. Basically, for July, I could see how I was going to perform, and pretty much walked out knowing I did much better - 142.6. I've used Emanuel's, but it was knowing the differences. If I had to do it over, I would've used Emaunel's first, and then Adaptibar to hone it in.

My $.02

nm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”