How much does not completing second MPT hurt your score Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jrstephens1991

Bronze

How much does not completing second MPT hurt your score

Post by jrstephens1991 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:05 am

If you're in a UBE jurisdiction where the MPT counts for 20% or in a jurisdiction where it counts for a little less how much does it hurt your score if you do really well on the first MPT but aren't even able to cover everything asked in the second? Seems like all the courses say to make sure you at least have a conclusion even if you don't finish which is why I'm worried. :?

pech71

New

Re: How much does not completing second MPT hurt your score

Post by pech71 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 am

Go to https://www.seperac.com/ . He has good information on this. I think the lowest score possible is 29 or something and he did a comparison where someone who just wrote a conclusion and some facts got a 38 which is huge compare to 29.

Mobster1983

New

Post by Mobster1983 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Having a “complete” answer is a major part of the MPE as it tests your ability on time management. So writing a conclusing gives you points for both “completing the assignment” and for the conclusion itself. Not having those on there are just leaving free points on the table, which is why all the courses recommend making sure you have a conclusion, even if you just throw something there in the last minute. Not having one means you get zero points for that part of the question.

So it really depends on how well you did on the first MPE question and the rest of the second. If you did well, then you probably don’t have anything to worry about. If your answers are borderline, then just completing the essay could be what brings you up just enough to pass.

Nothing you can do at this point though so as difficult as it is, just try to keep your mind off it. Good luck.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:If you're in a UBE jurisdiction where the MPT counts for 20% or in a jurisdiction where it counts for a little less how much does it hurt your score if you do really well on the first MPT but aren't even able to cover everything asked in the second? Seems like all the courses say to make sure you at least have a conclusion even if you don't finish which is why I'm worried. :?
On the July 2017 NY UBE exam, I completely fucked up on the MPT- I think it's an unfair section, but that's another issue. I passed NY with a 278 UBE, but only because my MBE (149.3) carried me. I didn't receive a breakdown of my essay scores, but with the exception of the secured transactions essay, I felt comfortable with every essay. I'd only worry if you messed up on the MPT AND the essays.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:44 pm

Mobster1983 wrote:Having a “complete” answer is a major part of the MPE as it tests your ability on time management. So writing a conclusing gives you points for both “completing the assignment” and for the conclusion itself. Not having those on there are just leaving free points on the table, which is why all the courses recommend making sure you have a conclusion, even if you just throw something there in the last minute. Not having one means you get zero points for that part of the question.

So it really depends on how well you did on the first MPE question and the rest of the second. If you did well, then you probably don’t have anything to worry about. If your answers are borderline, then just completing the essay could be what brings you up just enough to pass.

Nothing you can do at this point though so as difficult as it is, just try to keep your mind off it. Good luck.
Yes, you get it. The MPT isn't like the essays. The essays are like painting a beautiful landscape. If you drop the ball in some aspect, like forgetting a rule, or missing an issue, you can make up for it by doing a better job in the remaining components. The grading is that subjective.

On the other hand, nobody knows what a MPT is, and the grading is therefore much more objective. Rather than being like painting a beautiful landscape, it's more like painting by the numbers. The grading is very objective until they get down to the interpretation of your logic and discussion. So the answer to the original question, "How much does it hurt me not to finish?", will depend on how many boxes you checked along the way. Did you follow the instructions? Kaching! Did you use the right form? Kaching! Did you sort the relevant from the irrelevant and show them you did so? Ex: Our client's action depends upon the definition of "helpless." Normally, we would turn to Webster's dictionary in this case (they gave us a page from the dictionary in the library) however here, the usual definition is irrelevant because the Franklin Blah Blah statute provides us with the relevant definition." KACHING!!!! Hit them over the head. List out all the elements in the instructions and grade scale, there's a lot of them, and then just check the boxes. I learned the hard way, cite the relevant once to check the box, and push on to the end.

Unlike the essays, where you can drop the ball in one department and make up for it in another, you lose points forever if you don't check the boxes. I HATE MPTs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:55 pm

When I took the July 2017 NY bar exam, I totally fucked up on the MPT and still passed. My overall score was a 278 and my MBE was a 149.3. The multiple choice and essays saved me. I despise the MPT since it doesn't test legal knowledge and the grading is subjective. It's basically a crapshoot.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:49 pm

Here's the grading scale. I don't see where it says you have to finish. I see it awards an average score for a steaming pile of dog vomit. Provided what you checked a lot of boxes (sorted relevant from irrelevant facts, cited cases and quotes, used the right form, followed the directions, etc.) you will be fine.

Score of 6
A 6 answer is a very good answer. A 6 answer indicates that the applicant has a thorough comprehension of the task, the relevant factual and legal materials, and uses them to write a legally supported, well-written responsive product in the time allotted.

Score of 5
A 5 answer is an above average answer. A 5 answer demonstrates that the applicant has a fairly complete understanding of the task, understands most of the relevant materials, and uses them to write a legally supported, reasonably well-written, mostly responsive product in the time allotted.

Score of 4 :lol:
A 4 answer is an average answer. A 4 answer indicates that an applicant has a fair understanding of the task and understands enough of the relevant materials to incorporate them into a satisfactory, though not completely responsive, product in the time allotted.

Score of 3
A 3 answer is a somewhat below average answer. A 3 answer is inadequate. It shows that the applicant has a limited understanding of the facts, issues, and applicable principles of law and is not able to write a satisfactorily responsive product in the time allotted.

Score of 2
A 2 answer is a below average answer. A 2 answer is significantly flawed and shows that the applicant has only a basic understanding of the task. It shows the applicant failed to grasp most of the relevant facts and law and thus has not produced a useful product in the time allotted.

Score of 1
A 1 answer is a well below average answer. It indicates a failure to understand the task. A 1 answer shows virtually no ability to identify the relevant facts or law in the time allotted.

Score of 0
A 0 answer is appropriate when an applicant does not write an answer at all. It is also appropriate if an answer is completely unresponsive to the question.

Take another look at that. "mostly responsive product in the time allotted." In other words, you didn't finish but you mostly did what you were told. THAT's worth a 5.

A 4 is you didn't even do what you were told, but close enough, and you didn't finish here either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”