New York Bar July 2018 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
studying4bar

New

Re: New York Bar July 2018

Post by studying4bar » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:39 pm

lxgardener wrote:Anyone selected Albany as their test location? :)
Oh dear, I arrived at the party a bit late. Okay, so first, I am in Albany. Second, yes, hotels jack their prices up for the bar but that is especially true of Saratoga because it is a very popular and bit wealthier area and the Saratoga Race Track will be open...for those not familiar with the area, the fact that it is a wealthier location and they always jack prices up for Track season (which literally starts the Friday prior to the bar) and then more so for the bar exam. The plus side for those of you who are "stuck" or what have you, is that it is a smaller testing center from what I understand, so (comparably) your lines should move faster/be shorter, and it is probably nice to be in a smaller environment on test day. If anyone has questions about Albany/Saratoga, I'll do my best to answer/help. My cousin also took it in 2016 down in Westchester or white plains...I can't remember if that was an option this time, but if so/if people chose it, I can reach out to him and see if he has recommendations.

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:41 pm

White Dwarf wrote:JFC at the hotel prices in Saratoga. The cheapest I can find within walking distance is $400 for two nights.

I guess that's the price you pay for picking the one location where the demand for hotel rooms is going to outstrip the supply.
It's the damn location and timing of the exam. I would encourage people to book now if you haven't found a place up there, because as track season and the bar get closer they will keep raising rates.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:56 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
foxes wrote:
Findedeux wrote:Do we get any scratch paper for the bar exam?

Are the booklets provided enough if they don't give us scratch paper?

I'm constantly diagramming for property questions so I'm worried what will happen if we don't have enough room.
actually crossed my mind too... i tried to restrict my diagramming to the bar prep book but damn, some of the fact patterns are brutal
Unless the 2018 rules are different from 2017 rules, you won’t receive any scrap paper unless you handwrite the exam. Examinees can write in the margins of the MEE/MPT/MBE books.
Yep. I typed and I got no extra scratch paper. However, I do remember the booklets having one or two empty pages ( I think for the MPT, there's a blank page between the Facts & the Library). I just ripped it out and voilà - scratch paper. That's well within the rules.

My $.02

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm

b290 wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
foxes wrote:
Findedeux wrote:Do we get any scratch paper for the bar exam?

Are the booklets provided enough if they don't give us scratch paper?

I'm constantly diagramming for property questions so I'm worried what will happen if we don't have enough room.
actually crossed my mind too... i tried to restrict my diagramming to the bar prep book but damn, some of the fact patterns are brutal
Unless the 2018 rules are different from 2017 rules, you won’t receive any scrap paper unless you handwrite the exam. Examinees can write in the margins of the MEE/MPT/MBE books.
Yep. I typed and I got no extra scratch paper. However, I do remember the booklets having one or two empty pages ( I think for the MPT, there's a blank page between the Facts & the Library). I just ripped it out and voilà - scratch paper. That's well within the rules.

My $.02
^Bingo. No scratch paper but it's really not an issue between the margins and I also recall a blank page. At the very least, you should have one side of instructions or essay test booklets that have a blank page or are at least blank on one side so scrap paper isn't really an issue. Definitely not one I would focus on now.

NorthGroundsRat

New

Post by NorthGroundsRat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Anyone know how long the check out process usually takes at the completion of the exam on the second day? I have a flight out later that evening, and not sure if there will be enough time to make it to the airport in Albany.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:14 pm

NorthGroundsRat wrote:Anyone know how long the check out process usually takes at the completion of the exam on the second day? I have a flight out later that evening, and not sure if there will be enough time to make it to the airport in Albany.
Depends on when you’re done. If you finish prior to the 15 mins notice (of the end of the exam), you can just walk out. If you aren’t, you have to wait until the dismissal, and that could take around 30 mins after the exam. Factor in that you’ll also need to get your stuff and make it through the mass of people.

I’m not sure how Albany’s laid out (I took it in Buffalo, which has less people, I think). Plan accordingly.

My $.02

gom.sa

New

Post by gom.sa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Reigstered for NY Bar Exam, my laptop is registered with Examsoft and I've chosen my testing site. I forgot to send in the handwriting sample, which was due on Friday. Can I overnight it on Monday or am I screwed?

Allux

New

Post by Allux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Does anyone think that Real property/ civil pro questions in Emanuel 6th edition are really hard?? I feel it’s way much harder than the questions on Themis/adaptibar/barbri ...

KatNY

New

Post by KatNY » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:54 pm

hey Guys! If anyone in NYC is interested, I have Critical Pass Flashcards for sale in excellent condition. Very helpful in studying for both MBE and essays portion. Message me if you are interested. Good luck everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Willierhule

New

Post by Willierhule » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Hello, does anyone want to share the top 50 MEE essays?

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Allux wrote:Does anyone think that Real property/ civil pro questions in Emanuel 6th edition are really hard?? I feel it’s way much harder than the questions on Themis/adaptibar/barbri ...
They are. However, it's better to overprepare than underprepare. If you were building a bridge, wouldn't you want it to be stronger than needed to carry the anticipated load?

beth5

New

Post by beth5 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi, I failed the NY bar exam twice. Last July, my Total MBE was 12 but in February was 30 even though I got the same score (240/266) in both exams. So I was wondering if I have had any progress in MBE or not? Any advise? Thanks

Willierhule

New

Post by Willierhule » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 am

Hello, does anyone have a Seperac coupon to offer?
Thanks in advance!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:39 am

beth5 wrote:Hi, I failed the NY bar exam twice. Last July, my Total MBE was 12 but in February was 30 even though I got the same score (240/266) in both exams. So I was wondering if I have had any progress in MBE or not? Any advise? Thanks
Isn't the MBE scored out of 200? I don't get what you mean by 12 and 30.

in any event, it sounds like you've gotten the same score despite doing better on the MBE the second time around. Sounds to me like your MEE/MPT brought you down on the second go, and that's what you should work on.

frqw9201

New

Post by frqw9201 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:44 pm

When do we find out which NYC location we have been placed in?

beth5

New

Post by beth5 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
beth5 wrote:Hi, I failed the NY bar exam twice. Last July, my Total MBE was 12 but in February was 30 even though I got the same score (240/266) in both exams. So I was wondering if I have had any progress in MBE or not? Any advise? Thanks

in any event, it sounds like you've gotten the same score despite doing better on the MBE the second time around. Sounds to me like your MEE/MPT brought you down on the second go, and that's what you should work on.
Neilt001 wrote:

Neilt001 wrote:

Thank you! Yes, the MBE is scored out of 200 but my score based on subject area breakdown was 30.6 (Total nationally)in February however it was 12 in last July. I also got 110/200 in MEE/MPT.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 pm

For people who have taken the bar in Buffalo, are there any convenient lunch places near by the exam site?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 am

adil91 wrote:For people who have taken the bar in Buffalo, are there any convenient lunch places near by the exam site?
I was at Buffalo for the February exam this year. I saw some places nearby but can’t say if they were good or if there were lines. I just pre-purchased lunch from the convention center. There wasn’t much time to wander around after waiting to get out of the exam hall, lining up for the toilet, quick revision (if you need it), actually eat and rest. I recommend ordering lunch. Yes it’s expensive but it’s one less thing to worry about. You just grab it from downstairs once you exit the exam hall.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:15 pm

adil91 wrote:For people who have taken the bar in Buffalo, are there any convenient lunch places near by the exam site?
There are quite a few, even some across the street. I just didn’t want to be around the people, so I went back to where I was staying (a 10 min walk), got a quick bite, and was able to come back in time. Even with lines (it’s Buffalo, not NYC), you’ll have time.

My $.02

NorthGroundsRat

New

Post by NorthGroundsRat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am

Does anyone know what we do with our computers during the lunch break on the first day of the exam? Do most people leave them at their seating location, or take them to lunch?

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:25 am

For those of you going to Saratoga, do we really need to be there at 8am?

Since we don't even start until 9:30 it seems like a waste of time to get there so early since the longs shouldn't be too long.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:41 pm

NorthGroundsRat wrote:Does anyone know what we do with our computers during the lunch break on the first day of the exam? Do most people leave them at their seating location, or take them to lunch?
When I took the bar last year, we had to leave it at the desk.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:50 pm

L_William_W wrote:
NorthGroundsRat wrote:Does anyone know what we do with our computers during the lunch break on the first day of the exam? Do most people leave them at their seating location, or take them to lunch?
When I took the bar last year, we had to leave it at the desk.
Same. Can't take it out during the break (although we were allowed to stay at our desks throughout the break, and come and go as we pleased. So if you're really concerned about your laptop then you can keep an eye on it).

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:06 pm

$25 for a cold sandwich.

Geez.

Bilb0Baggins

New

Post by Bilb0Baggins » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Findedeux wrote:$25 for a cold sandwich.

Geez.
Plus chips, fruit, and drink! (in Saratoga, at least)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”