Anyone start studying for July 2018 already? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
slappythedog

New

Anyone start studying for July 2018 already?

Post by slappythedog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 am

I'm working full time and studying for TX in July. Anyone else start? Themis opened up so I jumped in.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: Anyone start studying for July 2018 already?

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:43 pm

The earlier the better! More time mean less amount of material you have to cover per day of studying which leads to greater recall. Giving yourself a lot of time to prepare for the exam is probably the greatest thing one can do to increase the chances of passing.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:54 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:The earlier the better! More time mean less amount of material you have to cover per day of studying which leads to greater recall. Giving yourself a lot of time to prepare for the exam is probably the greatest thing one can do to increase the chances of passing.

Ill agree and disagree with this, I do think someone can start too early, but that usually comes from burning yourself out. If you can sit down and set a reasonable schedule (factoring time off for holidays and some mental health days or even "surprise days off" like from sickness or another issue) then you can do as Sean has said - have less to do per day which is more manageable.

The human brain (on average and the studies prove it) requires that information needs to be taken in multiple times to be retained, by starting early with a reasonable attack plan you should be able to get through the material a couple of times and in different ways (listening to a lecture at 2x speed, flashcards, long outline, condensed outline) along with practicing MBE questions. You mentioned Themis, which is perfectly fine, I would suggest getting your hands on retired MBE questions be it through the NCBE, the Strategies and Tactics book, Adaptibar, BarMax (or wherever else you can buy it). There is no "magic number" but I think for most students if you can knock out the 1,750+ questions in Adaptibar + what Themis will throw out at you-you will be ready to go. (Key being doing the question under test conditions and then reviewing the questions to read the explanation - the real learning comes from the later portion).

So can you start now? Absolutely, having work and other things to distract you (and take away time to study) is a real thing, but be reasonable in your schedule and be sure to build in that time off so your brain doesn't melt and you don't freak out if you have to lose a day or want to take a day off.

jswranch

New

Post by jswranch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Early start is fine, but ensure to guard against burn out.

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:20 am

I was completely burned out by the time I hit sat for the actual exam. Had a heck of a time concentrating during the MBE portion because I had done 1500+ practice questions. I think starting early is great if you can pace yourself. Pulling 12 hour study sessions now for the July bar would be counterproductive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:28 am

Just got my materials in from my bar prep. I've got so much other shit to do right now I can't imagine doing anything until at least after tax season.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:23 pm

pfunkera wrote:I was completely burned out by the time I hit sat for the actual exam. Had a heck of a time concentrating during the MBE portion because I had done 1500+ practice questions. I think starting early is great if you can pace yourself. Pulling 12 hour study sessions now for the July bar would be counterproductive.
This. I started early last year in February by doing just 10-20 MBE questions per day for about 3 months before the Kaplan course opened up. I did this so I could say I started studying but also because I knew my time would be limited when the real course started, as I was working full time. Even when the course started, I was maybe only studying 20-25 hours per week because I was working 60-70 hours practicing law. It sucked but I passed with a lot of room to spare despite my mini-panic attacking on the first day of the exam (long story), and I firmly believe it’s because I started early but didn’t go crazy with the study schedule either.

CALTEX

New

Post by CALTEX » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:21 pm

I began studying with Themis about 2 weeks ago. I am already licensed in Texas (many old moons ago) and I live in California now, so I have to sit for the California bar exam . . . I am sitting for Day 1, no MBE, luckily. Super not liking it!!!

longwait

New

Post by longwait » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:53 am

I started two weeks back, but plan to do the bulk of studying only over the weekends. I work full time and sometimes work through the evenings too.
I took and passed a bar two years back. I hope I have retained something for the MBE!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChiliBowlWonder

New

Post by ChiliBowlWonder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am

slappythedog wrote:I'm working full time and studying for TX in July. Anyone else start? Themis opened up so I jumped in.
Same here. Still working out the plan as a full time employee. Barbri does not send material until May but I have critical pass going and early start AMPs along with Fitz. Trying to pace myself but already feel behind. Full time is just so hard to measure out for retention and prevention of burn out.

UKATTORNEYUSA

New

Post by UKATTORNEYUSA » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:57 pm

ChiliBowlWonder wrote:
slappythedog wrote:I'm working full time and studying for TX in July. Anyone else start? Themis opened up so I jumped in.
Same here. Still working out the plan as a full time employee. Barbri does not send material until May but I have critical pass going and early start AMPs along with Fitz. Trying to pace myself but already feel behind. Full time is just so hard to measure out for retention and prevention of burn out.
I received my Barbri materials last week. Go into your account and click on confirm shipping request.

I'm working full time which is not ideal but there is nothing that I can do about it. I spend evenings and weekends to study.

ChiliBowlWonder

New

Post by ChiliBowlWonder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:39 pm

UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
ChiliBowlWonder wrote:
I received my Barbri materials last week. Go into your account and click on confirm shipping request.

I'm working full time which is not ideal but there is nothing that I can do about it. I spend evenings and weekends to study.
Thanks. I will double check now. I bookmarked early start and have not been in the main account for a while.

ChiliBowlWonder

New

Post by ChiliBowlWonder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:43 pm

UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
ChiliBowlWonder wrote:

I had confirmed shipping for those stupid keys but did not realize I had to do it a second time. Cheers!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Batibut

New

Post by Batibut » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Started studying too but still waiting for approval of foreign credentials before applying for the July exam. I think early start is good as there is a daunting amount of materials to read. Also looking at advice on how to study online and bar review materials to use.

longwait

New

Post by longwait » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:58 pm

I am using Themis. I took Barbri the last time. I find Themis with short lecture videos (shorter at 1.5X or 2X) are better when you work full time. You can always squeeze a video in when you have 15-20 minutes.
I am following their flex mode. The plan is to cover all lectures for MBE and state (CA) then practice Qs. I have old Critical Pass cards that I plan to use once I'm done with lectures.

CBlaw

New

Post by CBlaw » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:32 pm

I plan on just following the Themis Bar prep schedule to the T. Plus I have 5 exams as a 3L (FML) so dont feel like I have time to study for the bar yet

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:33 pm

ChiliBowlWonder wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
ChiliBowlWonder wrote:

I had confirmed shipping for those stupid keys but did not realize I had to do it a second time. Cheers!
For the record, my state-specific materials (everything other than study keys) are not yet available.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

longwait

New

Post by longwait » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:08 pm

CBlaw wrote:I plan on just following the Themis Bar prep schedule to the T. Plus I have 5 exams as a 3L (FML) so dont feel like I have time to study for the bar yet
You'll be fine. There should be ample time to study after graduation if you are not working over the summer.
5 finals is tough!

UKATTORNEYUSA

New

Post by UKATTORNEYUSA » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:18 pm

TEIAM wrote:
ChiliBowlWonder wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
ChiliBowlWonder wrote:

For the record, my state-specific materials (everything other than study keys) are not yet available.
OK, so only UBE materials are available then. I am sitting the exam in NY, which is a UBE state.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:25 pm

Taking the Ohio bar. Started studying Thursday with Themis. 4.5% done so far. Been doing exactly what Themis has been assigning. Not too bad so far.

I got a job offer where I start May 14th at a law firm where I am salaried so I am assuming I will be working 40-50 hours per week. I am getting one to two weeks off to study. The partners who hired me went to UVA law and told me the bar is not hard and just don't get behind on the outlines and you will be fine. I attend a lack luster lower tier state school so maybe myself and the partners will have a different perspective on what's easy. TBD.

CBlaw

New

Post by CBlaw » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:56 am

longwait wrote:
CBlaw wrote:I plan on just following the Themis Bar prep schedule to the T. Plus I have 5 exams as a 3L (FML) so dont feel like I have time to study for the bar yet
You'll be fine. There should be ample time to study after graduation if you are not working over the summer.
5 finals is tough!
Its actually 6 one of them is a take home. This was stupid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:14 am

Lawworld19 wrote:Taking the Ohio bar. Started studying Thursday with Themis. 4.5% done so far. Been doing exactly what Themis has been assigning. Not too bad so far.

I got a job offer where I start May 14th at a law firm where I am salaried so I am assuming I will be working 40-50 hours per week. I am getting one to two weeks off to study. The partners who hired me went to UVA law and told me the bar is not hard and just don't get behind on the outlines and you will be fine. I attend a lack luster lower tier state school so maybe myself and the partners will have a different perspective on what's easy. TBD.
If they didn't follow this up by saying that you need to work your butt off, this is horrible advice.

IwiLLdoIt

New

Post by IwiLLdoIt » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Just failed the Feb 2018 MBE 123.6 Written 113.17. Studying as of today!!! all suggestions welcomed!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:29 am

ndbigdave wrote:
SilvermanBarPrep wrote:The earlier the better! More time mean less amount of material you have to cover per day of studying which leads to greater recall. Giving yourself a lot of time to prepare for the exam is probably the greatest thing one can do to increase the chances of passing.

Ill agree and disagree with this, I do think someone can start too early, but that usually comes from burning yourself out. If you can sit down and set a reasonable schedule (factoring time off for holidays and some mental health days or even "surprise days off" like from sickness or another issue) then you can do as Sean has said - have less to do per day which is more manageable.

The human brain (on average and the studies prove it) requires that information needs to be taken in multiple times to be retained, by starting early with a reasonable attack plan you should be able to get through the material a couple of times and in different ways (listening to a lecture at 2x speed, flashcards, long outline, condensed outline) along with practicing MBE questions. You mentioned Themis, which is perfectly fine, I would suggest getting your hands on retired MBE questions be it through the NCBE, the Strategies and Tactics book, Adaptibar, BarMax (or wherever else you can buy it). There is no "magic number" but I think for most students if you can knock out the 1,750+ questions in Adaptibar + what Themis will throw out at you-you will be ready to go. (Key being doing the question under test conditions and then reviewing the questions to read the explanation - the real learning comes from the later portion).

So can you start now? Absolutely, having work and other things to distract you (and take away time to study) is a real thing, but be reasonable in your schedule and be sure to build in that time off so your brain doesn't melt and you don't freak out if you have to lose a day or want to take a day off.
Very fair critique!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”