C + F Redlight Camera Tickets Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawworld19

Bronze

C + F Redlight Camera Tickets

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Has anyone not reported redlight camera tickets to NCBE?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Re: C + F Redlight Camera Tickets

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:Has anyone not reported redlight camera tickets to NCBE?
Best practice is to disclose and explain. If they are (or could appear) on your driving record it is far better to disclose a borderline meaningless thing then fail to disclose and have to explain why.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm probably mistaken, but how can a redlight camera ticket be added to your driving record if there's no way to confirm who was driving the vehicle at the time?

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:31 pm

mmart207 wrote:I'm probably mistaken, but how can a redlight camera ticket be added to your driving record if there's no way to confirm who was driving the vehicle at the time?
I don't think this is an issue. As the above poster mentioned, there's no link b/w you and the red light ticket except that the vehicle is registered to you. I could have been driving your car and ran the light...

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:57 am

kc128 wrote:
mmart207 wrote:I'm probably mistaken, but how can a redlight camera ticket be added to your driving record if there's no way to confirm who was driving the vehicle at the time?
I don't think this is an issue. As the above poster mentioned, there's no link b/w you and the red light ticket except that the vehicle is registered to you. I could have been driving your car and ran the light...
Thats exactly why I made the comment that I made... I see no reason in disclosing red light camera tickets since they can't be linked to you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:34 pm

I am not a driver but why wouldn’t you disclose and explain if someone else was driving your car at that time?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm

mmart207 wrote: Thats exactly why I made the comment that I made... I see no reason in disclosing red light camera tickets since they can't be linked to you
Really? You think it would be hard to get location data from your cell phone? Combined with the fact it was en route to your school/employment? Or how about the fact the photo might in fact show your face.

As for "I see no reason", if being denied entry to the bar for lack of candor isn't good reason, I don't know what is. Honestly, it boggles my mind that someone would even consider non-disclosure given the potential downside.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Disclosing has no downside, while not disclosing has some conceivable potential downside. Seems like an easy decision.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:25 pm

albanach wrote:
mmart207 wrote: Thats exactly why I made the comment that I made... I see no reason in disclosing red light camera tickets since they can't be linked to you
Really? You think it would be hard to get location data from your cell phone? Combined with the fact it was en route to your school/employment? Or how about the fact the photo might in fact show your face.

As for "I see no reason", if being denied entry to the bar for lack of candor isn't good reason, I don't know what is. Honestly, it boggles my mind that someone would even consider non-disclosure given the potential downside.
Did the application specifically ask you to disclose traffic tickets? Almost none of the schools I applied to ask for that. At the end of the day I disclosed what needed to be disclosed for myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:28 pm

albanach wrote:

Furthermore, a redlight camera ticket includes a picture of the license plate only.

Mobster1983

New

Post by Mobster1983 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:36 pm

mmart207 wrote:
albanach wrote:

Furthermore, a redlight camera ticket includes a picture of the license plate only.
Are you sure? I have "seen" a camera speed ticket which clearly included the driver of the vehicle. A google search also shows that there is a closeup of the driver's face on the ticket. May be a little difficult to deny it is you when there is a full-sized picture of your mug sitting there behind the wheel.

Did you actually receive a ticket? In most (if not all) jurisdictions, you are required to be served a complaint "by a person over the age of 18" (bar tip). The notice received in the mail is, at least the ones I have seen, a "waiver of the right to service." If you fill out the form and send it in, then you waive service. If you do not, they have to serve you. This may vary between states, so check your local rules.

Either way, if in doubt, disclose it on your C&F app. Better safe than sorry.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:40 pm

mmart207 wrote:
albanach wrote:

The key here, from my perspective, is how the question is presented, if it specifically asks about moving violations then I think it is in your best interest to just disclose. If the question relates to criminal behavior outside of basic citations/tickets then there would be no need to disclose because that type of minor offense is not being requested.

As has been previously stated, disclosing has no downside that I can see (getting a ticket or two will not get your file flagged) but if for any reason this could be on a driving record than it MUST be disclosed, furthermore in the name of candor (assuming the question asks for such minor traffic offenses) then you owe a duty of candor.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:06 pm

mmart207 wrote: Did the application specifically ask you to disclose traffic tickets? Almost none of the schools I applied to ask for that. At the end of the day I disclosed what needed to be disclosed for myself.
OP asked about NCBE. Their sample question (so this could vary by state) asks:

21(B) Have you been cited for, charged with, or convicted of any moving traffic violation during the past ten years? (Omit parking violations.)

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:16 pm

albanach wrote:
mmart207 wrote: Did the application specifically ask you to disclose traffic tickets? Almost none of the schools I applied to ask for that. At the end of the day I disclosed what needed to be disclosed for myself.
OP asked about NCBE. Their sample question (so this could vary by state) asks:

21(B) Have you been cited for, charged with, or convicted of any moving traffic violation during the past ten years? (Omit parking violations.)
A red-light citation is a moving violation (doesn’t matter if by camera or by police officer). Even if the question isn’t like above, just disclose and get it over with.

If you can get a hold of your driving record, do so. Everything you see, C & F will too. Basically, if it isn’t a parking ticket, disclose it.

My $.02

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”