Naval Officer - One Shot to Pass Bar [Barbri] Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
hammer10k

New

Naval Officer - One Shot to Pass Bar [Barbri]

Post by hammer10k » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi all,

I graduated law school two years ago and immediately went into flight training. I've been given the green light to take the Georgia bar this summer and its a one-shot-one-kill scenario - I won't have another opportunity to take it for years.

I was wondering if anyones had a similar situation and what you approach was, or generally, what anyone thinks does or does not work for preparation. I've signed up for Barbri and have twelve weeks to study. Georgia is a 50% MBE state.

Thank you!

pfunkera

Bronze

Re: Naval Officer - One Shot to Pass Bar [Barbri]

Post by pfunkera » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:48 pm

although I don't have only one shot, I basically do with my work paying for law school so I basically cannot afford to fail (would look really bad). I took it in February in a UBE state (50% MBE). I suggest using adaptibar and getting to >70% plus on that. I used Barbri, but I am sure Themis, etc are fine as well. Just know enough to get an average score on the essays and you should be good to go. I think that stats back up getting a scaled MBE score over 140 in a 50% MBE state puts your chances of passing at over 90%.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 pm

I would suggest getting the critical pass cards to help with studying. They were really good when I was studying for the GA Bar (summer 2015). Unless you learn really well listening, it would probably be beneficial to speed up the bar prep videos and just get the outlines filled out quickly. Because GA is 50/50, I would suggest a little more focus on the essays than bar prep companies mandate. You shouldn't aim for average on essays, particularly if this is your only shot. By studying for the MBE, you should know almost all the law for essays already (state exceptions excluded). Toss in an extra MPT or two and additional essays in the most common areas for GA at the end of your studying. You don't really have to write the whole essay. Just get more issue spotting practice and make sure you can provide all the relevant law in an outline. If you really struggle on an essay in a common area for some reason, it might be beneficial to actually complete a full essay though. I've graded practice essays for a bar prep company. Sometimes it's really obvious someone knows the law really well but doesn't know how to answer questions in a limited amount of time. That means an early answer to a multi-question essay is great, but then later ones are not good at all. Or, there are issues with not providing the essay in the correct formatting, which leads to missed points.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 pm

hammer10k wrote:Hi all,

I graduated law school two years ago and immediately went into flight training. I've been given the green light to take the Georgia bar this summer and its a one-shot-one-kill scenario - I won't have another opportunity to take it for years.

I was wondering if anyones had a similar situation and what you approach was, or generally, what anyone thinks does or does not work for preparation. I've signed up for Barbri and have twelve weeks to study. Georgia is a 50% MBE state.

Thank you!
GA is one of the easiest states, once your MBE reach a certain score, your essays won't even be graded.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:03 am

maxmartin wrote:
hammer10k wrote:
GA is one of the easiest states, once your MBE reach a certain score, your essays won't even be graded.
GA is an easier state, but I think the no scoring thing is really just a myth. I've never seen anyone cite anything to prove it. Please state what score that is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Mr. Archer wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
hammer10k wrote:
GA is an easier state, but I think the no scoring thing is really just a myth. I've never seen anyone cite anything to prove it. Please state what score that is.
It is a simple math question. Essays are scaled in some states, in those states the lowest you can get is 50 or 40 even you only wrote one sentence. So your high MBE and your lowest essay score possible already guarantee your pass. And many high MBEers won't get the lowest essay score anyway , so those state bar examiners may adjust the autopassing MBE score slightly. For sure, this is only practiced by some states which do not release the scores of passing applicants.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:50 pm

maxmartin wrote:
Mr. Archer wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
hammer10k wrote:
It is a simple math question. Essays are scaled in some states, in those states the lowest you can get is 50 or 40 even you only wrote one sentence. So your high MBE and your lowest essay score possible already guarantee your pass. And many high MBEers won't get the lowest essay score anyway , so those state bar examiners may adjust the autopassing MBE score slightly. For sure, this is only practiced by some states which do not release the scores of passing applicants.
Max is right. Although, I wouldn’t go into exact scores for “autopass” because it’s heavily discussed already, and further discussion risks a ban. At the very worst, if you get a 133+ and not pass, DC only makes you just take an essay portion.

https://www.dccourts.gov/sites/default/ ... ule_46.pdf

Considering that at least some of your work would involve federal law, it’s an option.

One thing I’d recommend (especially towards the latter part of your study) is Adaptibar. Doing that was really good for my MBE - I felt prepared.

Also, if you find that something’s not working, feel free to change it up. 12 weeks is plenty of time to do see what works for you.

Lastly, thank you for your service. I know people say that all the time, but as a kid of immigrants, I’m highly appreciative of it. Also as one who went to law school to be a JAG, I hope to be in your shoes :D Good luck!

My $.02

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Also, see this (especially the OP since that person was a GA taker that did BarBri):

https://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comm ... egathread/

My $.02

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:47 pm

maxmartin wrote:
Mr. Archer wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
hammer10k wrote:
No, it's not a math question, and you're not basing anything you're saying on how GA grades essays. An essay being scaled to an MBE equivalent score is not the same as an essay not being graded. How do you think you get the scaled score without a raw score? Also, GA gives you a combined score, so what other states that withhold scores do is irrelevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hammer10k

New

Post by hammer10k » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Ya'll are the real heroes. Thanks so much for the advice :D

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Do the work. MBE and essays both count. Study every day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”