July 2018 New York Bar testing site- change of address? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
supersplittysplitter

Bronze

July 2018 New York Bar testing site- change of address?

Post by supersplittysplitter » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Do we get to choose where we take the Bar, or are we assigned a location based on our address? I am a bit confused because I thought we are assigned a location based on our address (and out of state people have to take the Bar in Albany) but in a few threads people seem to have been able to choose.

Anyway, assuming we are not able to choose and that all out-of-state people have to take the Bar in Albany, what is the cut-off for when they place everyone into the different testing sites? When I registered my BOLE account I gave my current out-of state address, but after I graduate in May I will be living in New York and will update my address then. Would that be too late to affect my testing site location? Will I still be forced to take the Bar in Albany?

Nicolena.

Bronze

Re: July 2018 New York Bar testing site- change of address?

Post by Nicolena. » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:48 am

supersplittysplitter wrote:Do we get to choose where we take the Bar, or are we assigned a location based on our address? I am a bit confused because I thought we are assigned a location based on our address (and out of state people have to take the Bar in Albany) but in a few threads people seem to have been able to choose.

Anyway, assuming we are not able to choose and that all out-of-state people have to take the Bar in Albany, what is the cut-off for when they place everyone into the different testing sites? When I registered my BOLE account I gave my current out-of state address, but after I graduate in May I will be living in New York and will update my address then. Would that be too late to affect my testing site location? Will I still be forced to take the Bar in Albany?
When I called the ny bar, they explained that the process has changed. The process now allows everyone to test anywhere, but you won’t receive an email to pick your priority location until around June. However, Anyone that graduated from a ny law school has priority over out of state applicants, so it’s a possibility your first choice may not be available. This email is scheduled in June.

Honestly, if i were you i would probably just call them and explain your circumstance and see if that changes anything. I believe you’d have to do an address change anyways to your application.

Hope this helps!

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Nicolena. wrote:
When I called the ny bar, they explained that the process has changed. The process now allows everyone to test anywhere, but you won’t receive an email to pick your priority location until around June. However, Anyone that graduated from a ny law school has priority over out of state applicants, so it’s a possibility your first choice may not be available. This email is scheduled in June.

Honestly, if i were you i would probably just call them and explain your circumstance and see if that changes anything. I believe you’d have to do an address change anyways to your application.

Hope this helps!
that is great info, thanks so much!!

Does anyone from an out-of-state law school have experience with this system? what locations are left after all the NY law school students pick?

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:08 pm

for anyone else interested in this question I found this information on the NY Bar Exam site:

All applicants will receive an email approximately four weeks after the application period closes and instructed to select their test site location. Only locations with available seats will be listed in the email. First-time applicants who graduated with a Juris Doctor degree from a New York State law school will be given the first opportunity to select a seat assignment. All other applicants will then be given the opportunity to select from the remaining available seats. Out-of-state and out-of-country residents should expect to select between Albany and Buffalo (and Saratoga Springs for a July administration). Only locations with available seats at the time you open the link will be listed in the email. Once a location is filled, it will no longer appear in the email.

I think the bolded language is a bit confusing though- if graduates of NY law schools get the first pick before everyone else, why is residency still relevant? Are there 2 tiers (NY law school grads and then everyone else) or 3 tiers (NY law school grads, NY residents graduating from out-of-state law schools, and then lastly out-of-state residents from out-of-state law schools)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”