July 2018 Texas Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
MBernard

New

Re: July 2018 Texas Bar Exam

Postby MBernard » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Blackacrediznuts2018 wrote: ANY tips, recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was in a similar situation when I took Texas this past February. I was an out of stater, went to school in Indiana and had no familiarity with the Texas specifics. I’m currently taking Ca in July and I’ve gone through almost all the Ca essay subjects so I believe I might be able to lend some input in how things compare. As you mentioned, TX only offers a 30 min allowance per essay. I’d advise looking at past responses on the Texas Board of Law Examiners Thread. The universe of what is asked for some of the seemingly difficult topics is sometimes very limited. You’ll find board of Law Examiners repeats certain questions, sometimes almost verbatim. As for format, I used the CREAC format and submitted passing essays.

You should find the topics of Wills, Trusts and Business Associations very familiar. Similar concepts and rules tested on, very close to the Ca subjects (some slight tweaks and distinctions). Which means you already have a fair degree of knowledge in 4 subjects guaranteed to be tested on. TX rotates between Trusts and Guardianships, this time they “might” do guardianships (they’ve tested on Trusts like 4 Times now). The subjects that were foreign to me were Commercial Papers, Texas Consumer Law, Oil and Gas, and Secured Transactions. Income Tax and Bankruptcy could possibly comes up as cross over topics but it’s on the less likely side, prioritize subjects guaranteed to be there.

TX is a community property state like CA but it is far easier, Ca is more formulaic whereas TX is more about the basics in my opinion. TX will test on the Texas Family Code as well which I don’t believe is that challenging. Consumer law is almost always Deceptive Trade Practices, Insurance, and Debt Collection (both federal and State). Sometimes the examiners like to squeeze in a trick into Secured (e.g. goods moving to a different state, name change of a debtor, fixture filings, etc.). For Oil and Gas make sure you know how to figure out fractional royalty interests and the terminology (Duhig Doctrine, Pugh Clause, Mother Hubbard Clause). TX will also give you another property question usually focusing Landlord-Tenant, a conveyance of land (just like CA both spouses have to agree to the transfer), rural vs urban homestead, etc. (there really is a limited set of questions they have for this one).

The TX CIV and CRIM portion is worth 10% and a short sentence answer will suffice. TX CRIM is becoming more difficult and I don’t think I’d be able to offer much advise there. As for TX CIV, the examiners recycle old questions.

As for study strategy, I think similar to Ca the trick is to dive-into the essays as soon as possible. You’re definitely at an advantage as you’ll have some familiarity with certain Essay subjects and you can pull off a good MBE (TX passing is 135 I believe whereas CA is 144). Overall, my impression from reviewing the material for both I believe Ca is slightly more difficult.

TXBoundJD

New

Postby TXBoundJD » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:12 pm

I am taking the July Texas bar exam and am from out of state (so I am flying in regardless to take the exam). When submitting my application I ranked Waco as first and Lubbock as second thinking that because these are law school sites the actual facilities will be better equipped for test taking conditions. Unfortunately the BLE just told me they are both filled up! My options are Houston (NRG Center), Austin (Palmer Events Center), or DFW (Arlington Convention Center). Anyone have any experience/feedback about any of the exam sites for the Texas bar that would provide any benefit. As I mentioned, I am flying in anyway so it does not really matter much to me which city I take it in.

Chill_Out

New

Postby Chill_Out » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:29 pm

I don't have feedback on specific exam sites (first time bar taker), but as a TX resident quite familiar with each of those locations, I would recommend them in the following order (for testing purposes): #1 Arlington; #2 Houston; then #3 Austin.

I rank Arlington first for price reasons. You would have plenty of options for nice, relatively cheap hotel rooms in the area but its a large enough city to get food and stuff during the evenings (probably won't have much time for fun, though).

I rank Houston second b/c hotel rooms are probably more expensive and traffic is always rough. Houston is a close second, though.

I guess it would depend on how much you wanna spend/how close you need to be to exam site.

TXBoundJD wrote:I am taking the July Texas bar exam and am from out of state (so I am flying in regardless to take the exam). When submitting my application I ranked Waco as first and Lubbock as second thinking that because these are law school sites the actual facilities will be better equipped for test taking conditions. Unfortunately the BLE just told me they are both filled up! My options are Houston (NRG Center), Austin (Palmer Events Center), or DFW (Arlington Convention Center). Anyone have any experience/feedback about any of the exam sites for the Texas bar that would provide any benefit. As I mentioned, I am flying in anyway so it does not really matter much to me which city I take it in.

LegallyKatie

New

Postby LegallyKatie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 am

I took the February 2018 Bar and passed (thank the Lord!) without using a commercial prep course. I felt AWESOME going into the test and ended up doing well :) I started a blog to discuss how I studied for the different days, if you would like to check it out: www.LegallyKatie.com I have been talking to my friends taking the July Bar and they have run into a lot of similar issues, so I figured I would do what I could do help! Let me know if you have any questions or just want to chat!

Robert21

New

Postby Robert21 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:07 am

How is everyone preparing for the Crim P&E questions?
The answers posted online on the TX bar site all say what the most common incorrect answer is. How can I find the correct answer? I went to law school in CA, so I am trying to learn TX law from the past exams. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

OMLS48

New

Postby OMLS48 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:16 am

Depending on which study course you're doing, they should be able to provide you with questions and model answers that serve as great tools on how to craft answers to questions to those regularly asked on the P&E.

If you don't have access to those, then looking at the answers to the P&E online, should give you a decent enough assessment of what they are asking. I know the more recent criminal procedure answers online are trash, as the examiner didn't give much up. But if you look at older exam answers online, they're much better. Civ pro answers throughout are all pretty good online. Given that they tend to repeat the questions, having the answers from even 8-10 years ago should be fine save for subtle changes in the law. Crim pro is always going to have a few questions that are out of left field.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?