MBE February 2018 Reactions.. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Just_Ice

New

Re: MBE February 2018 Reactions..

Post by Just_Ice » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:45 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
Just_Ice wrote:
Thebariscoming wrote:I am worried. I practiced a lot of Adaptibar questions and I felt like I was guessing on most of the questions in the morning session. Afternoon seemed better though. Did any of you feel like you were also guessing as well? What set did you get? I thought I was well prepared for it cause I got decent scores on the mid term and final Kaplan MBE but this *hit freaked me out. Any thoughts?
I agree. The good news is, there are now 25 “practice” questions instead of only 10. So hopefully those crazy civ pro questions aren’t graded!
Did the information about the 25 practice questions come from a verified and trustworthy source?
It’s on their website. http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mbe/preparing/

streetlawyer

New

Post by streetlawyer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:53 pm

I gave it my very best shot. I was doing great on Adaptibar and I even did pretty good on the recently released 210 MBE Questions of the NCBE. A few questions I knew dead on and a lot more I felt that I was simply feeling my way through the way a blind man feels his way through a room. As soon as I got home I took all my materials, boxed them up and hid them in garage. With any luck I'll never need them again.

chocciebiccie

New

Post by chocciebiccie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:43 am

Not that this is going to be me but what happens if someone gets a good amount of the 25 'practice questions' correct but then mess up on a lot of the normal questions? Doesn't seem quite fair that any questions that someone does get right don't get counted!

bigballerbrand

New

Post by bigballerbrand » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:16 am

My impression overall is that the MBE felt tougher than I hoped. That said, I had zero handle right after the MBEs in July 2017 and I ended up getting a 150.0 raw score.

So, I averaged 83% on 1800 Adaptibar questions this time around. Part of me thinks seeing repeat questions on Adaptibar (sense of comfort) sort of set me up for a mini-loop on the actual MBEs today. Still, I got into a good groove in both AM and PM sessions, and left each time before the last 15 minutes. Did my best and felt like I applied the same approach I've had leading up to the exam.

I can also echo what many others here have said about how there were tons of questions where you'd eliminate two answer choices, and pick/guess/hope between the two remaining choices. Each day when I did 30 adaptibar questions, I'd end up marking 12-15 questions during those daily practice runs because I was really stuck between two questions. Didn't matter if I scored 70% that day or 97% that day. So given that we ran through 200 questions today, it's only natural to feel like almost every other question was a struggle to pick between two answer choices.

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:40 am

Echoing what many others have said here. I did 100% of my Barbri plan and about 1,800 MBE questions between Barbri and AdaptiBar and had done reasonably well. That said, the MBE today was much, much tougher than I anticipated. I agree that the morning was more difficult. I thought the first half of the afternoon was easier but then it seemed like the difficult ramped back up.

Lots of questions that I felt completely unprepared for. Just felt like a different style and focus of questions. Very surprising shortage of questions on some of the fundamental topic areas for the MBE topics. Stuff that would show up 6-7 times in a 100 question Barbri exam was nowhere to be seen on this exam.

I walked out of there feeling like it's a proverbial coin toss if I passed that thing or not. Not how I wanted to spend the next two months.

MPT questions were alright. One was definitely tougher but within the realm of expectations.

MEE questions were about as expected except for the one oddball that I think 90% of people didn't expect.

We're done for now. Nothing to do but wait. It is helpful to hear that the majority of others (based only on this small sample) found the test difficult as well. I saw a post from JD Advising from Day One that acknowledged the test was tough.

Good luck to all of you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 am

animalpeople wrote:Finished both sections with at least 30 minutes remaining. I was surprised by how confident I was considering I only managed to complete 64% of my Themis program.
Felt the same. I think Themis was great.

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:21 am

RCinDNA wrote:The morning session was tough. I felt like I hit a stride in the afternoon session.
This. +1

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:31 am

I am not sure if the AM and PM questions are sometimes switched, but I thought the PM session was harder. That was the consensus amongst my friends but random people in the exam said AM was harder. I had about 40 minutes left in the morning and went back through all the questions I marked. I had enough time to review those and change a few answers with a few minutes to spare. In the afternoon, I think I marked about 25 questions and during the middle it was like every other question. I had 30 minutes to review those marked questions in the afternoon, but I had a hard time picking the "best" answer on a number of them. Seemed like quite a few oddball questions on fact patterns that I honestly do not remember seeing. I feel pretty decent but that is only based on how I did on practice MBE questions. Plus on the Barbri midterm, 100Q refresher, and a few of their 50 questions mixed sets I did not feel that confident but still did well enough. I think on the actual test its normal to stress about questions because it actually counts. I would think about the practice questions, but I knew it didn't count so no stress.

The MEE (UBE state) went surprisingly well for me. I had not practiced the essays much at all because I focused on the MBE. I know I did enough on each one to get an average score and really nailed one of them. MPTs, well just never enough time to get everything the way I want it, but I am sure I did fine on those.

I am glad that I am not studying today, but I hate having to wait a month to find out for sure that I passed.

In case you are feeling down, if I am reading this right someone has taken the Connecticut Bar exam 26 times and failed.

https://www.jud.ct.gov/cbec/Stats/July17Public.pdf

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:49 am

Property/Contract land sale questions seemed different.....How did the Con law questions treat you guys? I can't seem to recall most of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:26 am

FWIW I had a very visceral numb feeling walking out of the test this summer. It was the feeling of abject failure and like I did not know enough law to consistently so well on the MBE questions. This time, my feeling of failure is related to thinking “did I do enough to get over the hump?”. Hopefully this means i did.

My gut is pretty accurate though I am very hard on myself. Ironically, timing has always been an issue so all of my timed tests ended up with a 61-66% correct with me rushing through the final five or so questions so I am hoping this leads to a 120-ish raw and 140-ish scales.

Best of luck to everyone and I sincerely hope we ALL did enough to get over the hump.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:45 am

not guilty wrote:Property/Contract land sale questions seemed different.....How did the Con law questions treat you guys? I can't seem to recall most of them.
Land sale contracts are always weird. You have the contract element and the deed element and neither work together coherently. The contract could be totally messed up but delivery and acceptance could mean the land was delivered while the deed can have all sprts of issues but the seller could escape liability because of the closing.

Thebariscoming

New

Post by Thebariscoming » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Ditto. I too had an issue with time- which is almost always an issue with me. I just hope my brain worked and I guessed on the right answer choices in the AM session. PM session was a lot like the questions I had practiced. I had a good feeling after the July bar and didn't make it. This time I feel awful and I don't know what to make out of it but just hope that my practice and preparation pulls me through cause I know I put in a lot of work this time. So let's choose to believe in the hard work we've done and hope that we're happy when the results come out. :lol:
RCinDNA wrote:FWIW I had a very visceral numb feeling walking out of the test this summer. It was the feeling of abject failure and like I did not know enough law to consistently so well on the MBE questions. This time, my feeling of failure is related to thinking “did I do enough to get over the hump?”. Hopefully this means i did.

My gut is pretty accurate though I am very hard on myself. Ironically, timing has always been an issue so all of my timed tests ended up with a 61-66% correct with me rushing through the final five or so questions so I am hoping this leads to a 120-ish raw and 140-ish scales.

Best of luck to everyone and I sincerely hope we ALL did enough to get over the hump.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:43 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
not guilty wrote:Property/Contract land sale questions seemed different.....How did the Con law questions treat you guys? I can't seem to recall most of them.
Land sale contracts are always weird. You have the contract element and the deed element and neither work together coherently. The contract could be totally messed up but delivery and acceptance could mean the land was delivered while the deed can have all sprts of issues but the seller could escape liability because of the closing.
True. Even if it's a general warranty deed, and the seller delivered unmarketable title, once the deal is done the buyer is limited to damages, and can no longer rescind. But in certain cases, the buyer is obligated to not rescind, and the seller can cure the defects (by paying off a mortgage) after the sale. So weird.

I feel like land sale contracts on the MBE are kind of like that stereotypical swindling-hustler that you see in old 90's movies. You know, the one who rips the guys money off by doing the cups trick... which of the three cups is the ball under?

It's always something like: A devises to her son B, but B never records. B gets a mortgage on the land, and mortgagee does record. In the meantime, A sells to a purchaser who we will call C. At the same time, B gets tired of the upkeep and sells the property to D, who mortgages through Mortgagee 2 (M2). M2 contains a valid acceleration, due on notice, clause. D then gifts the property to E, but does not assign the mortgage. D defaults on his mortgage, and M2 then initiates foreclosure proceedings.

Who has a valid claim on the land... in other words... which Goddamned cup is the ball under?! (damn you to hell for this question swindling-huster!)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mka2016

New

Post by mka2016 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Thebariscoming wrote:Ditto. I too had an issue with time- which is almost always an issue with me. I just hope my brain worked and I guessed on the right answer choices in the AM session. PM session was a lot like the questions I had practiced. I had a good feeling after the July bar and didn't make it. This time I feel awful and I don't know what to make out of it but just hope that my practice and preparation pulls me through cause I know I put in a lot of work this time. So let's choose to believe in the hard work we've done and hope that we're happy when the results come out. :lol:
RCinDNA wrote:FWIW I had a very visceral numb feeling walking out of the test this summer. It was the feeling of abject failure and like I did not know enough law to consistently so well on the MBE questions. This time, my feeling of failure is related to thinking “did I do enough to get over the hump?”. Hopefully this means i did.

This. I felt great after July, only to get hosed on the MPT’s. Not kidding I did about 3,000 MBE questions this time. Finished all the barbri sets in December. That GOAT book is the truth. All the NCBE questions for like half the price. Barbri MBE prep is horrific and I would tell anyone to avoid it and get the Emmanuel book or the GOAT book.. you guys are kind of scaring me though because I felt great in both sessions and finished both with about 20 minutes to spare. I knew that mortgages had screwed me in the past and I beat them into my head pretty well before. 138 in July. Hoping this one is better.

mka2016

New

Post by mka2016 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Any Ohio people in here??

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:17 pm

See BarBri’s MBE prep is not bad per se. It is just that it does not fit well in their schedule. There was one question I can recall that was almost exactly a BarBri-type “know the exact wording” question.

Crockidator

New

Post by Crockidator » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:36 pm

So to be more specific, I agree that the AM session was very hard. I was blindly guessing on a lot after getting into a good groove of getting about 70% right on my Themis practice sets. The questions seemed different in style and to some extent substance too than what I had practiced. I've gone back and forth on whether I simply panicked or whether the test was slightly different than I anticipated.

One of the MPTs was straightforward and the other was harder.

My state isn't MEE, so no comment there. The OH essays were a little harder than I expected, especially the first day of essays, although a few were straightforward. It was not unexpected to see them test on some obscure points, but it's still unpleasant.

Overall, I'm worried. I didn't expect it to be this difficult compared to my practice tests.

Here's hoping none of us need to be back on these forums this summer!.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Crockidator

New

Post by Crockidator » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:45 pm

mka2016 wrote:Any Ohio people in here??
Yup. What did you think?

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:01 pm

I DID NOT LIKE THAT.

You'd think 3000 MBE questions and every essay Themis has to offer should leave me with at least a drop or two of confidence.

MissT

New

Post by MissT » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 pm

That was so much harder than I’d expected.
I did 100 percent of Barbri and supplemented with Emmanuel’s, yet I left with not even a little bit of confidence that I passed. The questions were so tricky that I don’t think I’d have done any better even if I’d had an extra month or two to devote to bar prep.

BCLAW2008

New

Post by BCLAW2008 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 pm

I agree that the morning session was tougher than the afternoon session. I used Themis as well and I felt as if their MBE questions were much easier that the actual exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mka2016

New

Post by mka2016 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Crockidator wrote:
Yup. What did you think?
Brutal essays. First day was bad for sure. Knew I blew at least one.

Crockidator

New

Post by Crockidator » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:50 pm

mka2016 wrote:
Crockidator wrote:
Yup. What did you think?
Yeah, they were pretty bad. Some parts I could get, but a lot of it was a tragicomic disaster. I was grasping at what little memory I had of peripheral details I had only ever seen in examples on Themis's handouts. That one torts essay was just downright mean.

If I fail, I'm going to try not to take it as a reflection on myself because WTF was that.

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Post by Kevinlomax » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 pm

Something was legitimately wrong with the AM session. I have head conspiracies about some of people getting experimental sections because some tests didnt even contain the same questions as others...

Thoughts?

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:20 am

mka2016 wrote:
Crockidator wrote:
Yup. What did you think?

Here, too. The very last essay blew me off. I felt like it was open ended.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”