MBE February 2018 Reactions.. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nightcrawler

Bronze

Re: MBE February 2018 Reactions..

Post by Nightcrawler » Sat May 05, 2018 11:33 pm

Respondeat_Inferior wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:@Respondeat_Inferior were you scoring in the 50% on Adaptibar or Themis?
Themis, I've never used adaptibar. The new evidence lecturer is garbage for Themis so I blame him partially, I worked my overall evidence score up to 64% by the end of the course, civil procedure ended up being my worst overall at 63% but I made a big comeback in evidence and just stayed mediocre from start to finish with civ pro.
Does Themis use licensed NCBE questions or do they make them up like Barbri? I tried to look it up but I see mixed opinions.

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Sun May 06, 2018 1:49 am

Nightcrawler wrote:
Respondeat_Inferior wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:@Respondeat_Inferior were you scoring in the 50% on Adaptibar or Themis?
Themis, I've never used adaptibar. The new evidence lecturer is garbage for Themis so I blame him partially, I worked my overall evidence score up to 64% by the end of the course, civil procedure ended up being my worst overall at 63% but I made a big comeback in evidence and just stayed mediocre from start to finish with civ pro.
Does Themis use licensed NCBE questions or do they make them up like Barbri? I tried to look it up but I see mixed opinions.
Both, the NCBE questions they use are modified slightly and have a disclaimer at the bottom. Seemed to be somewhere around 500-750 that were NCBE.

Mobster1983

New

Post by Mobster1983 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:05 am

Thebariscoming wrote:Question to all those who felt the MBE was harder this time yet passed the bar exam. Would really appreciate some success stories. I am freaking out. How much did you all score on the actual exam?
It wasn't just you. This was the second bar I passed, first UBE. Score was 168 MBE and 154 MEE/MPT.

I used Kaplan this time (Barbri last July for my state) and really only got through the lectures (listened while commuting). I did the prequestions, the main question sets for each lesson, and the midterm. I really don't think I did more than a couple hundred total in addition to those. Time was pretty limited with an infant at home and full-time work as a law clerk so I didn't get through nearly as much of the program as I wanted. I supplemented with Lean Sheets just to help refresh myself on the rules.

I agree with Respondeat_Inferior's assessment. There was a lot of random law tested on this one, as in not "commonly" tested. I came out of the MBE feeling pretty confident, mainly because I tend to do very well on multiple choice exams, but still thought "WTF?"

It's tough, but try to relax a bit. Remember, you don't have to do great to pass the bar. You really just have to be better than 30-40% of the other people who took it. ;-)

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Thebariscoming wrote:Question to all those who felt the MBE was harder this time yet passed the bar exam. Would really appreciate some success stories. I am freaking out. How much did you all score on the actual exam?
Hey! I spent the better part of my study freaking out about the M<BE and my mediocre scores. In fact, while I did improve over time, I never seemed to do better than like 68% on any of the practice exams. I heard about others hitting 75-80% by the end of their studies, and I thought I was truly fucked. (I used Themis btw)

But I ended up scoring a 151 (which is around the 85th percentile) in Feb 2018, which was a particularly hard MBE. So all is not lost! As the others have said, you only need to do better than around 30-40% of takers. Just do a bunch of practice questions and make sure you always understand and memorize why you got it wrong or right. Best of luck!

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:08 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
Hey! I spent the better part of my study freaking out about the M<BE and my mediocre scores. In fact, while I did improve over time, I never seemed to do better than like 68% on any of the practice exams. I heard about others hitting 75-80% by the end of their studies, and I thought I was truly fucked. (I used Themis btw)

But I ended up scoring a 151 (which is around the 85th percentile) in Feb 2018, which was a particularly hard MBE. So all is not lost! As the others have said, you only need to do better than around 30-40% of takers. Just do a bunch of practice questions and make sure you always understand and memorize why you got it wrong or right. Best of luck!
Did you take Barbri?

How'd you do on the midterm?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beckgirl123

New

Post by beckgirl123 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:01 pm

So I failed NY in July 2017, with a 124 MBE. This time passed with a 141 MBE.

Took barbri and adaptibar both times. Completed around 80-90% each time for barbri- was around 60% correct the 1st time, this time 70%. Adaptibar the same, did around 1800 questions the 1st time, this time around 2200, 1st time around 60% correct, this time 70%. Barbri simulation first time I got 89/200 I believe (i know...), 2nd time I think around 135/200.

KEEP UP YOUR CONFIDENCE! I definitely walked out of this one thinking that it was WAY more difficult and I messed up so much more- I thought maybe 10-20 questions were gimmes, and everything else ranged from hard to impossible. Was way more comfortable when I walked out the first time....so don't trust your nerves! My gut told me I failed this time. My MBE score showed I was wrong, and my MEE/MPT score was 171, so shockingly high and I walked out thinking 1 MPT I scribbled total gibberish and 3 essays I pulled some of my knowledge came from Suits. I'm not even kidding.

Good luck!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon May 07, 2018 5:07 pm

beckgirl123 wrote:

Took barbri and adaptibar both times. Completed around 80-90% each time for barbri- was around 60% correct the 1st time, this time 70%. Adaptibar the same, did around 1800 questions the 1st time, this time around 2200, 1st time around 60% correct, this time 70%. Barbri simulation first time I got 89/200 I believe (i know...), 2nd time I think around 135/200.

KEEP UP YOUR CONFIDENCE! I definitely walked out of this one thinking that it was WAY more difficult and I messed up so much more- I thought maybe 10-20 questions were gimmes, and everything else ranged from hard to impossible. Was way more comfortable when I walked out the first time....so don't trust your nerves! My gut told me I failed this time. My MBE score showed I was wrong, and my MEE/MPT score was 171, so shockingly high and I walked out thinking 1 MPT I scribbled total gibberish and 3 essays I pulled some of my knowledge came from Suits. I'm not even kidding.

Good luck!
Congrats!

Yeah, if you feel good coming out of the exam, something likely went wrong... (You probably didn't know enough to know what you don't know.)

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:19 pm

beckgirl123 wrote:

Good luck!
You got a 135 on the midterm and a 141 on the actual MBE the second time? I only ask because thats about what I scored on the simulated and everyone keeps saying I can expect closer to 150.

beckgirl123

New

Post by beckgirl123 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:26 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:
beckgirl123 wrote:

Good luck!
You got a 135 on the midterm and a 141 on the actual MBE the second time? I only ask because thats about what I scored on the simulated and everyone keeps saying I can expect closer to 150.
Ya. But!- I'm super weak at MC, have been since HS, so I'm definitely an exception. Even so, I was expecting a higher MC after my second time studying but I walked out of day 1 feeling utterly defeated-- so I think my lack of confidence just carried into Day 2. I'm a terrible test taker. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to who passed bars after Barbri scored 10+ points higher on the real thing than on their simulated one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 pm

beckgirl123 wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:
beckgirl123 wrote:

Good luck!
Ya. But!- I'm super weak at MC, have been since HS, so I'm definitely an exception. Even so, I was expecting a higher MC after my second time studying but I walked out of day 1 feeling utterly defeated-- so I think my lack of confidence just carried into Day 2. I'm a terrible test taker. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to who passed bars after Barbri scored 10+ points higher on the real thing than on their simulated one.
Got ya. Well the main thing is you passed! That's all that matters! :D

Thebariscoming

New

Post by Thebariscoming » Tue May 08, 2018 12:19 am

Likewise! I scored a 124 on the midterm and 137 on the final Kaplan exam. I supplemented Kaplan with Adaptibar and was scoring in the range of 65 %. I'm just nervous since the results are around the corner. But thank you to everyone who shared their success stories.
You all give me confidence and hope.

jrstephens1991 wrote:
beckgirl123 wrote:

Good luck!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:17 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

Did you take Barbri?

Hi there! I took Themis and got around 68% on the mock exam. Wasn't too happy about that, but ended up doing fine!

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

Did you take Barbri?

Hi there! I took Themis and got around 68% on the mock exam. Wasn't too happy about that, but ended up doing fine!
Great! Thanks for the reply! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Azhoya

New

Post by Azhoya » Sat May 12, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I just passed the bar in Arizona and the information on here really helped reassure me during the grueling wait. Good luck to all those who will sit again in July. Keep the faith.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”