Dress code for bar exam? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ScurryRay

New

Dress code for bar exam?

Post by ScurryRay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:59 pm

This may be a silly question, so I apologize, but is it inappropriate to wear a hoodie and sweatpants to the bar exam (New York)? I don't see any specific dress requirements for NY. I know a few states make you wear a full suit to the bar exam. I've been studying for the past 2 months on sweats and that's what I will be most comfortable with but don't want to be the only guy there dressed like a slob.

onlyunholy

Bronze

Re: Dress code for bar exam?

Post by onlyunholy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 pm

Not sure how it is in NY, but in Nevada we are not allowed to wear hoodies.

EDIT: http://www.nybarexam.org/security/security.htm#oral. "All coats and jackets will NOT be permitted in the exam room." Now, whether hoodies are considered coats or jackets...

onlyunholy

Bronze

Post by onlyunholy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 pm

http://www.nybarexam.org/security/security.htm#oral

"All coats and jackets will NOT be permitted in the exam room." Now, whether a hoodie is considered a coat or jacket...

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:28 am

ScurryRay wrote:This may be a silly question, so I apologize, but is it inappropriate to wear a hoodie and sweatpants to the bar exam (New York)? I don't see any specific dress requirements for NY. I know a few states make you wear a full suit to the bar exam. I've been studying for the past 2 months on sweats and that's what I will be most comfortable with but don't want to be the only guy there dressed like a slob.
No hats rules make me wary of hoodies. However a confirmable and easy to remove top over a t-shirt is ideal because you can adjust layers to accommodate the room temperature.

My advice, find a hoodless hoodie. If you do wear one with a hood, don't for any reason put the hood over your head.

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 am

albanach wrote:
ScurryRay wrote:This may be a silly question, so I apologize, but is it inappropriate to wear a hoodie and sweatpants to the bar exam (New York)? I don't see any specific dress requirements for NY. I know a few states make you wear a full suit to the bar exam. I've been studying for the past 2 months on sweats and that's what I will be most comfortable with but don't want to be the only guy there dressed like a slob.
No hats rules make me wary of hoodies. However a confirmable and easy to remove top over a t-shirt is ideal because you can adjust layers to accommodate the room temperature.

My advice, find a hoodless hoodie. If you do wear one with a hood, don't for any reason put the hood over your head.
A....hoodless hoodie? You mean a sweater?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DKM

New

Post by DKM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 am

A hoodless hoodie is called a sweatshirt.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:28 am

albanach wrote:

Hoodie = no bueno. I took it in July 2016 and a girl had a hoodie and they told her to store it and wouldn't let her in without it. Felt bad cuz she said she was freezing cuz they were blasting the AC in Javitz.

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:58 pm

They actually sent out an email saying hoodies were ok but you have to keep the hood down. I am less worried about the hoodie and more worried about the sweat pants. : )

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:21 pm

ScurryRay wrote:They actually sent out an email saying hoodies were ok but you have to keep the hood down. I am less worried about the hoodie and more worried about the sweat pants. : )
You're totally fine re: the sweatpants. Previously, hoodies were not permitted; now, they are. Also new to this administration, no analog watches :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:13 pm

kc128 wrote:
ScurryRay wrote:They actually sent out an email saying hoodies were ok but you have to keep the hood down. I am less worried about the hoodie and more worried about the sweat pants. : )
You're totally fine re: the sweatpants. Previously, hoodies were not permitted; now, they are. Also new to this administration, no analog watches :(
I wonder why no watches - anyone know/have a guess?

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:02 pm

bretby wrote:
kc128 wrote:
Some moron probable cheated. I'm pretty sure all of the exam locations have huge clocks now, it's more of this weird personal attachment I have with my watch. I've worn it daily for years, it feels weird to not have it on, haha

brazilian1985

New

Post by brazilian1985 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:17 pm

kc128 wrote:
bretby wrote:
kc128 wrote:
Some moron probable cheated. I'm pretty sure all of the exam locations have huge clocks now, it's more of this weird personal attachment I have with my watch. I've worn it daily for years, it feels weird to not have it on, haha
WOW! They let us use analogical watch last February!!!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:19 pm

brazilian1985 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
bretby wrote:
kc128 wrote:
WOW! They let us use analogical watch last February!!!
I KNOW!! smh

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:48 pm

I am getting a favial, wearing a nice pair of jeans, a sweater and undershirt, and a necklace made of the darkened hearts of all the evil fairies I have sacrificed to pass this thing.

fallingup77

New

Post by fallingup77 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:18 pm

RCinDNA wrote:I am getting a favial, wearing a nice pair of jeans, a sweater and undershirt, and a necklace made of the darkened hearts of all the evil fairies I have sacrificed to pass this thing.
I googled “favial” to see if I needed to get one, too.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 am

I meant to say facial. The inability to edit has been detrimental to my post quality.

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:03 pm

my state allows hoodies (not on head) so that is what I am wearing. I have back-up clothes just in case though.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:48 am

kc128 wrote:
In Utah last summer, we weren’t allowed any analog watches either, but we could wear hoodies provided our hoods were down.

While there were several large clocks positioned throughout the large, airplane-hangeresque room, I found it to be much more distracting having to look up from my work to locate the nearest clock as opposed to quickly glancing down at my wrist to check the time. Makes absolutely no sense why they think we could possibly cheat with analog watches. Maybe it’s because some of the displays on the digital smart watches can mimic the face of an analog watch and the administration doesn’t have the time or inclination to thoroughly inspect everyone’s watches? Eh no clue but I still think it’s dumb.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”