2018 July California Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
carcollector

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby carcollector » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:00 pm

For the people who used AdaptiBar, did you like it? Why or why not?

I am hearing that the explanations are lacking when compared to S&T. Is that true?

Also, are the Civ Pro questions representative of what you saw on the real exam?

Thanks!

justanotheruser

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby justanotheruser » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm

I used both S&T and Adaptibar. I first did S&T to establish a firm/good foundation + strategy. Once I finished the S&T book, I moved on and did 1700 more questions on Adaptibar (averaged ~81%). Passed the 2/18 CA bar after 5 failures. I would highly recommend BOTH S&T and Adaptibar for MBE studying.

But yes, in general, S&T's answer explanations are superior to Adaptibar's explanations.

As for Civ Pro? I don't remember having *particular* trouble with civ pro questions on the real exam. If anything, I think I had a general problem with the real MBEs in that they seemed to be asking nothing but super nuanced, 50-50 questions.

carcollector wrote:For the people who used AdaptiBar, did you like it? Why or why not?

I am hearing that the explanations are lacking when compared to S&T. Is that true?

Also, are the Civ Pro questions representative of what you saw on the real exam?

Thanks!

scard

New
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby scard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:10 pm

Well I’m really glad that adaptive mindset program was available.. it really helped ... smh

User avatar
Atmosphere

Silver
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Atmosphere » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:42 pm

scard wrote:Well I’m really glad that adaptive mindset program was available.. it really helped ... smh


This was pathetic, it needs to get more coverage.

Nightcrawler

Bronze
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Nightcrawler » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
scard wrote:Well I’m really glad that adaptive mindset program was available.. it really helped ... smh


This was pathetic, it needs to get more coverage.


I was amazed by how shamelessly they fed lawyers this kind of bullshit.

abogado2018

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:50 am

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby abogado2018 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:16 pm

bru1n wrote:When they say aim to get ~65%, do they mean 65% before your score is scaled, or do you just need to get a 65% with your new scaled score?

114 raw/175 = ~65%.

So in order to pass with that raw score to get to a 1440 in CA, they have to scale it at least 30 points?! I'm missing something here.


Wondering the same thing. Apparently the mean MBE score for ALL CA takers last July was 1440 exactly. Which I assume means the average CA MBE score was ~67% correct. First timers in CA scored a mean of 1478. Source: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... chool.html

But is it just me or do these numbers seem generous? Basically, I want to know what I can realistically plug into the score calculator :/

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Bla Bla Bla Blah » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:39 am

carcollector wrote:
Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
If you absolutely need to cut things out of your review, cut the lectures out first.


This is absolutely true. Listen to the lectures (if at all) to put yourself to sleep, or as background. That's what I did with an MP3 of all the Kaplan lectures. I haphazardly practiced, practiced, practiced on Adaptibar, threw in a Critical Pass subject every night for two weeks, listened to the lectures around this, (slacked a little bit), threw together a practiced plan of action for the Essay portion during my last week before the bar (never practiced PTs), reviewed CA law through Leansheets until I was very comfortable with CA subjects... drank beers every night of the Bar Exam (sometimes with really light study--if you can even call it that), went to sleep at 10:30pm each night... and was done with it all. Averaged about 6 to 9 hours of study per day over three weeks. Some people are probably getting tired of this because I've put it out there so much (hopefully as reassurance that this test can be done if you have fallen behind--a "don't panic" message of sorts). Also, I think that just calming yourself down and reminding yourself that you can only do what you can with your remaining month is important. Don't go ballistic, but do prepare with urgency at this point.

With a final mention that I am as average Joe as it comes (i.e., anyone can pull this off), in order of importance:

1. Practice the MBE through a testing service that makes it ridiculously convenient. Eventually, you will have tested your way to more knowledge than what those waste of testing time lectures can ever give to you. And personal questions about an MBE subject that motivate you to study the topic more inquisitively will also be a part of your study routine. Adaptibar was with me always, and when I would take a break from any of the other studying I was doing, I'd often find myself powering through questions on my phone in a hot tub with some beers for downtime. It became more like trivia night at a pub than study at that point, and I would get hooked on doing massive sets that way.

2. Find a method of digesting outlines that is much better than the big box outlines. I think that the big box outlines are too much. They are so stuck in the trees with the information that they cover that it can be overwhelming. You don't have time to make your own outlines at this point, and the big box outlines in the books are just way more information than you actually need for the Exam... so your mind is constantly overwhelmed with trying to learn pointless shit in those outlines. Critical Pass, for me, was the most helpful thing outside of Adaptibar. You jst grab a color coded subject, lay down next to your box lid at night after a full day of practice (or burnout... one of the two), and flip them into the lid. On the one hand, it reinforced my studies. On the other, it was an easy way to make myself feel like I wasn't a piece of shit for burning out and watching pointless Youtube videos, or spending time with friends or family, all day :lol: Critical Pass is a well thought out system for studying the MBE rules, and will save you so much time.

3. Listen to your lectures whenever you cannot study. Usually I would listen to them as I was dozing off (they are better than the sounds of nature for sleeping). Other times, when I was driving (it was all I played in my car). And often I found myself tuning into something in the lecture because I had questions from my other areas of study. The lectures are helpful for retaining the rules, and for an elementary understanding on how they apply, but entirely incomplete as far as information about the exam goes.

4. Essay Exam Writing for the CABX: In my last week of study, I picked up an essay writing book on Amazon that saved me so much time. It took me less than an hour to figure out their system, and then the CA specific outlines were much more theme based (which got me into thinking about how I should approach the Essays which are also much more theme based). Practice all of their CA specific tests (three for each subject) and reviewed whether I had issues spotted/stated the rule as their model answers had (lets be real, the majority of my Essay practice was trying to issue spot and at least state the rule, but I didn't have time to do much more than think out what my analysis would be... I urgently needed to at least be set with the rules, and spotting issues, as far as practice went, and analysis was something that I am better at bullshitting).

5. Get something like Leansheets to have one concise outline on the CA rules to review over and over again. These are like the broken down version that Themis wants you to spend a lifetime making, and only contain the meat. Use your Themis book outlines as a supplement when you don't quite understand a topic in your Leansheets.

6. Pass the bar. I did exactly this and had less than a month to prep (I'm one of the 27.3 percent winners from Feb. 2018).


In number 4 you mention an essay book. Which one?


Modified with link. It is a bit dated, but the only difference will be same sex marriage. Outside of that, I found its techniques, theme based outlines, practice tests (taken straight from past bars), and explanations very helpful.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Bla Bla Bla Blah » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:51 am

Yogagirl wrote:I barely finished writing out a few rule statements and only a little bit of analysis for the first question. When there were only 30 seconds left wrote a concluding sentence and salutation. I know its a 50.

Put the PT first. It was a last second decision as I was sitting there in the CBX last February, but it really helped. I think I went 20 minutes over, but it was perfection. And I was easily able to BS my last essay within 40 minutes for a decent score.

There is no BSing that PT (in my opinion). It's either a well written Motion or Memo, or it isn't. So all formalities for legal writing it are in play... just as if you were in practice. The rules are there in the material, so the rule statements need to be solid. IRAC is a must. And everything needs to be organized an analyzed with specific facts.

The regular questions, however, you can play them a little bit more fast and loose.

I had no experience with the PT portion, and didn't practice it at all. I just figured it would be about the same as writing a motion for my firm. But here was my thought process when I finally sat down at the exam desk: Why put yourself up against the gun with an essay like the PT? Especially considering that knocking it out of the park gives you 10 points for every 5 that you could get on a regular question (which makes a big difference).

Try that strategy and see how you do. I think it will make a big difference.

carcollector

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby carcollector » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:40 pm

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:
Yogagirl wrote:I barely finished writing out a few rule statements and only a little bit of analysis for the first question. When there were only 30 seconds left wrote a concluding sentence and salutation. I know its a 50.

Put the PT first. It was a last second decision as I was sitting there in the CBX last February, but it really helped. I think I went 20 minutes over, but it was perfection. And I was easily able to BS my last essay within 40 minutes for a decent score.

There is no BSing that PT (in my opinion). It's either a well written Motion or Memo, or it isn't. So all formalities for legal writing it are in play... just as if you were in practice. The rules are there in the material, so the rule statements need to be solid. IRAC is a must. And everything needs to be organized an analyzed with specific facts.

The regular questions, however, you can play them a little bit more fast and loose.

I had no experience with the PT portion, and didn't practice it at all. I just figured it would be about the same as writing a motion for my firm. But here was my thought process when I finally sat down at the exam desk: Why put yourself up against the gun with an essay like the PT? Especially considering that knocking it out of the park gives you 10 points for every 5 that you could get on a regular question (which makes a big difference).

Try that strategy and see how you do. I think it will make a big difference.


This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

justanotheruser

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby justanotheruser » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Yeah. I did the two essays *and then* the PT in July 2017. Big mistake. I had less than an hour for the PT. Got a 50 on the PT, which single-handedly caused me to fail the bar. It also hurt me that I only practiced a full PT once during my study schedule.

For Feb 2018, I did a full PT practice at least once every other week. Ended up doing about 7 PT practices. Also practiced doing the PT first and then the two essays once or twice. I had only about 48-50 minutes on each of the two essays, but this was infinitely more manageable than trying to do a PT under a similar time crunch.

carcollector wrote:
Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:
Yogagirl wrote:I barely finished writing out a few rule statements and only a little bit of analysis for the first question. When there were only 30 seconds left wrote a concluding sentence and salutation. I know its a 50.

Put the PT first. It was a last second decision as I was sitting there in the CBX last February, but it really helped. I think I went 20 minutes over, but it was perfection. And I was easily able to BS my last essay within 40 minutes for a decent score.

There is no BSing that PT (in my opinion). It's either a well written Motion or Memo, or it isn't. So all formalities for legal writing it are in play... just as if you were in practice. The rules are there in the material, so the rule statements need to be solid. IRAC is a must. And everything needs to be organized an analyzed with specific facts.

The regular questions, however, you can play them a little bit more fast and loose.

I had no experience with the PT portion, and didn't practice it at all. I just figured it would be about the same as writing a motion for my firm. But here was my thought process when I finally sat down at the exam desk: Why put yourself up against the gun with an essay like the PT? Especially considering that knocking it out of the park gives you 10 points for every 5 that you could get on a regular question (which makes a big difference).

Try that strategy and see how you do. I think it will make a big difference.


This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Honey0808

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Honey0808 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:45 pm

I can't get over how I was mid-sentence in my conclusion for the PT when time was called. Also didn't put a "Sincerely, Applicant" or w/e at the end of the email. Such a fun game trying to estimate whether the mistakes I made warrant a fail, or trying to convince myself "I'm fine I'm sure I passed" for another 3+ months! wow I feel #blessed #productive #barexamsareawesome #sosick

Honey0808

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Honey0808 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:57 pm

I've been getting physically ill from all the stress I've experienced from trying to assess whether I passed. Reading peoples' posts seems to exacerbate the stress (it's my own fault, I know I should stay away from these forums). Time to say goodbye and not visit this thread again.

That being said, I just want to say that I am extremely thankful for countless people on this forum who have been encouraging to others and have offered helpful advice without being condescending. It is easy to fall into depression after failing an exam and feel as though the whole world is against you when people say really degrading things to you about your failure. But one thing that helps me remain positive is realizing there are genuinely good, nonjudgmental people out there who have gone out of there way to help others, even if it is through as 'small' of a gesture as writing a post on here. To everyone who is also waiting on results, I sincerely wish you the best and I empathize for everyone who is going through this terrible process.

And as a reminder to those who have passed, don't use your admitted status as an excuse to degrade others and say things like "the bar exam tests minimum competence, and if you didn't pass you likely shouldn't be a lawyer" and all that other b.s. The majority of users on here thankfully are not like that, but after browsing a lot of forums I have found a disturbingly high number of posts from people arrogant beyond belief who are clearly trying to kick people when they're down. I have seen many competent lawyers at all types of firms, from public to small to large corporate firms, who failed and have eventually passed AND really thrive in their field. After all, while the bar exam requires hard work, it also requires a *tiny* amount of sheer luck.

Much love to y'all.

LockBox

Bronze
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby LockBox » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Honey0808 wrote:I've been getting physically ill from all the stress I've experienced from trying to assess whether I passed. Reading peoples' posts seems to exacerbate the stress (it's my own fault, I know I should stay away from these forums). Time to say goodbye and not visit this thread again.

That being said, I just want to say that I am extremely thankful for countless people on this forum who have been encouraging to others and have offered helpful advice without being condescending. It is easy to fall into depression after failing an exam and feel as though the whole world is against you when people say really degrading things to you about your failure. But one thing that helps me remain positive is realizing there are genuinely good, nonjudgmental people out there who have gone out of there way to help others, even if it is through as 'small' of a gesture as writing a post on here. To everyone who is also waiting on results, I sincerely wish you the best and I empathize for everyone who is going through this terrible process.

And as a reminder to those who have passed, don't use your admitted status as an excuse to degrade others and say things like "the bar exam tests minimum competence, and if you didn't pass you likely shouldn't be a lawyer" and all that other b.s. The majority of users on here thankfully are not like that, but after browsing a lot of forums I have found a disturbingly high number of posts from people arrogant beyond belief who are clearly trying to kick people when they're down. I have seen many competent lawyers at all types of firms, from public to small to large corporate firms, who failed and have eventually passed AND really thrive in their field. After all, while the bar exam requires hard work, it also requires a *tiny* amount of sheer luck.

Much love to y'all.


Let me make a few replies to this post.

1. Yes, good idea to say goodbye (for now) and not think about the bar. To me, the waiting was the worst/most difficult period.

2. Some people will always be condescending/rude about something related to failing the bar. Seek out the good people.

3. Honestly, claiming the bar tests "minimum competency" isn't (or shouldn't, at least) degrading - it's misguided. The test does test "minimum competency" to practice law - but that doesn't mean it's easy, or that you're a dummy for not passing. It's just the minimum threshold - every field has one. No one would argue that the minimum competency to become an astronaut is easy.

4. Not to be harsh, but the practice of law can at times be much worse than the people you describe. Lawyers, especially litigators, need to develop thick skin. Not saying that people are justified in being rude, but there is also an internal let down that goes with failing the bar and that makes all the comments even harder to defend. However, if you just assume you will pass eventually, most of the comments seem innocuous.

5. Sheer luck. Perhaps a tiny bit. But I want to disagree with that. There is a reason there are so many questions/essays etc. to minimize the level that "luck" plays into all this. I know I know, luck plays a role in life as well as the bar. But my advice is to NOT think of it like this and take each question seriously and do your best. The chips will fall where they will. Good luck.

User avatar
MBernard

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby MBernard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:47 pm

In case anyone is having difficultly or anxiety waiting for results, I wanted to post two videos that greatly helped me relax during the wait period for the last bar exam I did for another jurisdiction. Just as a disclaimer, I have no affiliation with the content creator. I merely found the advice offered to be insightful and encouraging. I re-watched both of these videos and I still found them very helpful in keeping myself productive and moving forward.

The first video pertains to doing a post-mortem of the exam (it's useful but if you've already done a post-mortem and don't want to dwell on results further then maybe skip it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juUPn2rBbZ4

The second video concerns managing anxiety and keeping productive while awaiting results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5kVwHAmpEg

The content creator is involved in marketing bar materials but neither video involves hawking a product or services. Just thought I'd leave this here in case it might help anyone during the waiting period. Best of luck to all!

Althink

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Althink » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:25 am

I have been practicing law for 11 years, attended a top 5 Law school and currently work at a Big Law firm. I took the CA Bar exam in Feb 18 and did not pass. Granted, I did not have a chance to study for the month and a half right before the exam because of working 80 hour weeks, but I still had a little time to study and decided to take it since I paid for the exam. The only way that I can transfer at my job to it’s CA office is if I am licensed in cA (and I just got engaged....fiancé lives in CA)! I took the full exam rather than the Attorney’s Exam since my MBE scores were strong when I took the bar exam in 2007 and I passed without studying for the essays. Although I did not have a chance to really study for the Ca bar because of work, I am so glad that I sat for the Feb exam! I was able to gain insight into what the exam is actually like and what is needed to pass.

The CA Bar exam lives up to its reputation....you cannot wing this exam. You really have to learn how to take it. In my opinion, as a practicing attorney, it does not test minimum competency at all. Very successful attorneys at my current firm failed the Feb 18 exam. However, if you want to practice in CA, as I do, you must pass it.

I decided to retake and sit for the July 18 Bar exam. I worked full time while studying, but this time I did things differently. First, I decided to take the Attorneys Exam and I focused on really learning how to write the essays and focus on how CA essays are structured. I really put my all into this exam and hope I had enough time to study and pass it this around. I hand wrote the exam, so I could not go deep with my analysis and there were tricky parts to some questions that were much harder than the tests of past years. I don’t care what anyone says, the exam is definitely getting harder each year and February exams are harder.

This time around, I read Mary Basick’s CA Bar Essays and book and used Bar Essays. These two resources taught me how to take the CA Bar exam.....I have a fighting chance of passing because of these two resources. I have learned with standardized tests, it’s all about learning how to master the exam. CA Bar is no different, but it is definitely a beast!

I am very nervous and keep replaying in my mind where I know I missed an issue and could have made a stronger analysis. The Con law question freaked me out, but I identified the causes of actions (privileges and immunities, dormant clause, sovereign immunity, due process, equal protection)-at least I hope that’s right, but just couldn’t remember the exceptions to all of the rules. The exchange between the parties in the Contracts question was difficult for me to analyze in a short amount of time, but I did the best that I could. In real life, you actually have time to think about the issues and research the law!

So frustrating that my fate depends on passing this exam...my job, living in the same state as my fiancé...it’s like my life is on hold until I pass this thing. The thought of retaking it scares me like crazy Bc it sucks so much out of you! Good luck to everyone! Just know if you are a retaker, this exam does not measure the kind of lawyer you will/can be! I am living proof of this....I’m one hell of a corporate attorney!

Praying for good results of Pass in November....I really have my all this time around!

scard

New
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby scard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:21 am

Honey0808 wrote:I can't get over how I was mid-sentence in my conclusion for the PT when time was called. Also didn't put a "Sincerely, Applicant" or w/e at the end of the email. Such a fun game trying to estimate whether the mistakes I made warrant a fail, or trying to convince myself "I'm fine I'm sure I passed" for another 3+ months! wow I feel #blessed #productive #barexamsareawesome #sosick


Don’t stress, be happy you didn’t put sincerely applicant or any formal ending after it. You were not the one submitting the argument, you were simply providing the argument to your superior and your superior would be the one puting their own ending.

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 2014
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby a male human » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 am

Althink wrote:I have been practicing law for 11 years, attended a top 5 Law school and currently work at a Big Law firm. I took the CA Bar exam in Feb 18 and did not pass. Granted, I did not have a chance to study for the month and a half right before the exam because of working 80 hour weeks, but I still had a little time to study and decided to take it since I paid for the exam. The only way that I can transfer at my job to it’s CA office is if I am licensed in cA (and I just got engaged....fiancé lives in CA)! I took the full exam rather than the Attorney’s Exam since my MBE scores were strong when I took the bar exam in 2007 and I passed without studying for the essays. Although I did not have a chance to really study for the Ca bar because of work, I am so glad that I sat for the Feb exam! I was able to gain insight into what the exam is actually like and what is needed to pass.

The CA Bar exam lives up to its reputation....you cannot wing this exam. You really have to learn how to take it. In my opinion, as a practicing attorney, it does not test minimum competency at all. Very successful attorneys at my current firm failed the Feb 18 exam. However, if you want to practice in CA, as I do, you must pass it.

I decided to retake and sit for the July 18 Bar exam. I worked full time while studying, but this time I did things differently. First, I decided to take the Attorneys Exam and I focused on really learning how to write the essays and focus on how CA essays are structured. I really put my all into this exam and hope I had enough time to study and pass it this around. I hand wrote the exam, so I could not go deep with my analysis and there were tricky parts to some questions that were much harder than the tests of past years. I don’t care what anyone says, the exam is definitely getting harder each year and February exams are harder.

This time around, I read Mary Basick’s CA Bar Essays and book and used Bar Essays. These two resources taught me how to take the CA Bar exam.....I have a fighting chance of passing because of these two resources. I have learned with standardized tests, it’s all about learning how to master the exam. CA Bar is no different, but it is definitely a beast!

I am very nervous and keep replaying in my mind where I know I missed an issue and could have made a stronger analysis. The Con law question freaked me out, but I identified the causes of actions (privileges and immunities, dormant clause, sovereign immunity, due process, equal protection)-at least I hope that’s right, but just couldn’t remember the exceptions to all of the rules. The exchange between the parties in the Contracts question was difficult for me to analyze in a short amount of time, but I did the best that I could. In real life, you actually have time to think about the issues and research the law!

So frustrating that my fate depends on passing this exam...my job, living in the same state as my fiancé...it’s like my life is on hold until I pass this thing. The thought of retaking it scares me like crazy Bc it sucks so much out of you! Good luck to everyone! Just know if you are a retaker, this exam does not measure the kind of lawyer you will/can be! I am living proof of this....I’m one hell of a corporate attorney!

Praying for good results of Pass in November....I really have my all this time around!

Best of luck to you, man! Sounds like a lot is riding on this exam.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Bla Bla Bla Blah » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:19 am

Honey0808 wrote:I've been getting physically ill from all the stress I've experienced from trying to assess whether I passed. Reading peoples' posts seems to exacerbate the stress (it's my own fault, I know I should stay away from these forums). Time to say goodbye and not visit this thread again.

That being said, I just want to say that I am extremely thankful for countless people on this forum who have been encouraging to others and have offered helpful advice without being condescending. It is easy to fall into depression after failing an exam and feel as though the whole world is against you when people say really degrading things to you about your failure. But one thing that helps me remain positive is realizing there are genuinely good, nonjudgmental people out there who have gone out of there way to help others, even if it is through as 'small' of a gesture as writing a post on here. To everyone who is also waiting on results, I sincerely wish you the best and I empathize for everyone who is going through this terrible process.

And as a reminder to those who have passed, don't use your admitted status as an excuse to degrade others and say things like "the bar exam tests minimum competence, and if you didn't pass you likely shouldn't be a lawyer" and all that other b.s. The majority of users on here thankfully are not like that, but after browsing a lot of forums I have found a disturbingly high number of posts from people arrogant beyond belief who are clearly trying to kick people when they're down. I have seen many competent lawyers at all types of firms, from public to small to large corporate firms, who failed and have eventually passed AND really thrive in their field. After all, while the bar exam requires hard work, it also requires a *tiny* amount of sheer luck.

Much love to y'all.


More than a tiny amount! That test is ridiculous. More ridiculous still is that I'm still waiting for them to clear my moral character (which I gave them just before taking in February). The CA Bar is pretty much the most useless, take your money for and kick you while they are at it, organization I have ever come across.

Just keep your chin up and it will work out. My best advice is really just keep on chugging until it all falls into place for you all (it will). And the good news is that the legal economy seems to be getting better, so many more opportunities to practice once you get that license. Let that motivate you all.

User avatar
MBernard

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby MBernard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:57 am

Althink wrote:So frustrating that my fate depends on passing this exam...my job, living in the same state as my fiancé...it’s like my life is on hold until I pass this thing. The thought of retaking it scares me like crazy Bc it sucks so much out of you! Good luck to everyone! Just know if you are a retaker, this exam does not measure the kind of lawyer you will/can be! I am living proof of this....I’m one hell of a corporate attorney!

Praying for good results of Pass in November....I really have my all this time around!


God Bless, man. It sounds like you did what you needed to this time around. These tests can be traumatizing there is no doubt about it.

User avatar
Auxilio

Silver
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Auxilio » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:47 am

Did everyone else just get an email saying they forgot to get permission to release scores. What the hell.

User avatar
Atmosphere

Silver
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Atmosphere » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:52 am

Auxilio wrote:Did everyone else just get an email saying they forgot to get permission to release scores. What the hell.


Yeah I just got it too, it’s just asking if you’ll allow your school to see your scores if you fail

User avatar
Auxilio

Silver
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Auxilio » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 am

Atmosphere wrote:
Auxilio wrote:Did everyone else just get an email saying they forgot to get permission to release scores. What the hell.


Yeah I just got it too, it’s just asking if you’ll allow your school to see your scores if you fail


It's just a seemingly large omittance from what is presumably the same application each year.

scard

New
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby scard » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:05 am

Anyone know when the ncbe release the mean mbe scores?

Nightcrawler

Bronze
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby Nightcrawler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:15 am

scard wrote:Anyone know when the ncbe release the mean mbe scores?


Very interested in this since a higher mean/average score means a higher scale.

frqw9201

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:22 am

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Postby frqw9201 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:47 am

scard wrote:Anyone know when the ncbe release the mean mbe scores?

February 2018 mean was released mid april, so around 7-8 weeks. It has now been 6 weeks since the July exam.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cocotruffles, NotYourAvocado, nparks3, Parms21 and 64 guests