2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nightcrawler

Bronze

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by Nightcrawler » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Just a little word about the barsecrets guy predictions, botched for a second time:

Predicted:
- CP: yay
- Evidence CA: yay
- Real Property: NOPE
- Civ Pro: NOPE
- Biz Ass: NOPE
- Remedies: a little bit, in a UCC question
- PR: duh, shouldn't count

Missed:
- Con Law,
- Contracts (UCC).

Do you see the green:red ratio? As said months ago, try to use predictions with extreme care. They usually work only for 1-2 really likely subjects. The rest is pure gambling.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:Just a little word about the barsecrets guy predictions, botched for a second time:

Predicted:

Missed:
- Con Law,
- Contracts (UCC).

Do you see the green:red ratio? As said months ago, try to use predictions with extreme care. They usually work only for 1-2 really likely subjects. The rest is pure gambling.

Still not perfect, but the one I looked at was

Business association
Pr
Remedies/contracts
CA evidence
Civ pro
Cp

Which wasnt perfect, but closer.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Angel66 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
ADR wrote:
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:Sorry guys, I do not have any sort of scientific basis for my predictions. I was just thinking of the worst possible combination of topics the bar could could drop on examinees. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Naughty, I know. :oops: :oops:

There has been a lot of cross over the last few bar cycles. My predictions are similar:
CA Evidence/crimes (Trial Context)
Corporations (shareholders/director/officers, duty of Loyalty, duty of Care)
Trust/Remedies (maybe some kind of constructive trust and equitable lien)
Professional Responsibility/Con Law (Commercial Advertisement/solicitation/Free Speech)
Ca Civil Procedure (Discovery/ Res Judicata/Collateral Estoppel )

Hope we have done enough!
Not enough MBE topics. Last one had 3 pure MBE subjects with a crossover mixed in: crimanal law (technically a cross over with crim pro), con law, contracts (mixed with PR), and real property. Not that I have any investment in this, but I'l offer my ironclad predictions

1. Corporations. Pure unadulterated corporations.
2. Prof Responsibility mixed with an MBE subject. Maybe crimes or Fed Evidence (think duty of prosecutors etc)
3. Fed/CA Civ Pro(for CA Civ Pro, please, at the minimum learn some of the lingo so you don't get flustered. they could easily throw in a "demurrer" AKA motion to dismiss. easy to grasp, but could make people go bonkers)
4. Contracts and 1 of community property or truts
5. Con Law (commerce clause. they def can and will test 2 subjects in a row)
I'm not sure how likely duty of prosecutors will be tested again given (1) it's rarely tested; (2) there was a recent full PR essay on this topic.

I think PR in the corporation/partnership/agency setting is more possible.
Wow - I nailed commerce clause and a few others. Lack of crossovers killed my predictions

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:Just a little word about the barsecrets guy predictions, botched for a second time:

Predicted:

Missed:
- Con Law,
- Contracts (UCC).

I was going to write something similar but didn't want to be mean and crush people's hopes when so many were having so much fun trying to game the predictions.

lawlurk

New

Post by lawlurk » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:38 pm

Nicoelfreako wrote:
lawlurk wrote:Are different test centers in CA given the test in a different order? I mean, I know the person sitting next to you will have the same set of questions for that session but in a different order. But, for example, will the SD center give us set 1 then set 2, while LA center is gives set 2 in the morning, and set 1 in the afternoon?

Wondering because consensus at my center was that the morning session was murderous. People generally felt better about second session. But if people are having a complete reverse reaction, I am wondering if it is due to the same set of questions.

I had the same experience! Morning sucked for me. Immensely. But afternoon was alright. Maybe even easy.
Ya was such an emotional rollercoaster. Morning was a blur, afternoon session I was, dare I say, confident. I too wanna say it was almost easy. They are playing with us haha I was in SD center. The morning session for MBE they had blasted the AC and it was so freakin cold my muscles were all clenched and hands all stiff the whole time. Was draining what energy I had and distracting AF. Thankfully was able to run to hotel in-between and add on extra socks and extra jacket lol Even afternoon I was still cold. Still think someone did it to watch us suffer haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:44 pm

a male human wrote:

Predicted:

Missed:
- Con Law,
- Contracts (UCC).

I was going to write something similar but didn't want to be mean and crush people's hopes when so many were having so much fun trying to game the predictions.
Brian, I’ve just did the bar for the 4th time and I have the right to be mean lol. No but seriously, I kept warning people before it happened because last time he bombed them as well. But at the same time I understand why people rely on them, I did the same last time. The time is limited and you want a reason to skip entirely certain subjects. They are what they are though: just a gamble. It just bothers me a little bit that some people create this type of content on their website just to promote their prep course.

CABAR6

New

Post by CABAR6 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:52 pm

The mbe was pretty tame!

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:07 am

Nightcrawler wrote:
a male human wrote:

Predicted:

Missed:
- Con Law,
- Contracts (UCC).

Brian, I’ve just did the bar for the 4th time and I have the right to be mean lol. No but seriously, I kept warning people before it happened because last time he bombed them as well. But at the same time I understand why people rely on them, I did the same last time. The time is limited and you want a reason to skip entirely certain subjects. They are what they are though: just a gamble. It just bothers me a little bit that some people create this type of content on their website just to promote their prep course.
Those predictions are def useful. Study exactly the opposite of what they predict.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:12 am

Nightcrawler wrote:
a male human wrote:

Predicted:

Missed:
- Con Law,
- Contracts (UCC).

Well, I'm glad you pointed it out!

I do understand the urge to rely on predictions out of desperation or some sense of certainty. I did it. You did it. We both learned our lessons. Warnings will naturally be ignored until they feel the results for themselves (like my friend's coworker who prayed that Con Law wouldn't appear based on Saccuzzo's predictions and ended up leaving it "basically blank"). I've learned to just roll with it and only ask not to rely on them too much.

That said, for February, I'm going to pick semi-random subjects and see how much different they are compared to "official" predictions :lol:

2019 February predictions (do not rely on, use for entertainment purposes only, etc.):
[+] Spoiler
PR
Remedies
Crim Pro
Business Associations
Evidence
Civ Pro (hey, if he gets to pick a wildcard so can I)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:52 am

a male human wrote:

Predicted:

Missed:
- Con Law,
- Contracts (UCC).

Five-time failure here, who passed the 2/18 CA bar.

One of the biggest changes in my mindset heading into the final/successful attempt was embracing the grind and avoiding the constant desire to look for a short cut. I definitely prioritized some essay subjects over others, but I still did at least 6-7 essays for even subjects I thought were very unlikely to appear.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:43 pm

justanotheruser wrote:
a male human wrote:

Predicted:

Missed:
- Con Law,
- Contracts (UCC).

Five-time failure here, who passed the 2/18 CA bar.

One of the biggest changes in my mindset heading into the final/successful attempt was embracing the grind and avoiding the constant desire to look for a short cut. I definitely prioritized some essay subjects over others, but I still did at least 6-7 essays for even subjects I thought were very unlikely to appear.
I used a similar method and, luckily, this time I had time to study every single subject. Felt a lot better than last time, especially on the MBE. Last feb I failed by a handful of wrong MBEs, so hopefully the 4th time was the charm for me.

Yogagirl

New

Post by Yogagirl » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:21 pm

I need honest feedback. This was my fourth CBX attempt and know I failed the PT (again). My written scores are generally pretty good (average 60-65), but cannot seem to pass the PT because I run out of time again and again and again. I went to an accredited law school and took a PT course during my last semester. I have also taken subsequent courses and written so many of these things that I want to cry because I know I can compete a passing PT in practice, but when it comes to the actual exam, I mess it up - every flipping time. I have horrible test anxiety. I feel sick about this on so many levels.

On this attempt, I beefed up MBE practice hoping it would help me carry the day. After plugging in what I thought my scores might be (given that the PT will be a dismal 50, at best), figured I need about a 1500 MBE scaled score (maybe a tad less). What kind of practice score would give me a good indication that I might be within range? Also, different pontificators have different theories about whether it is possible to pass the exam while failing the PT. Some say that it is NOT possible, but can help if you pay or if you sign up for their course, others say that the MBE can make up for the difference. I simply don't know, but DO know that I am not paying for another course or "consultation." I need honest feedback so that I can try to relax between now and when I return to work. I am a full time teacher and single parent and I do not intend to quit now because this is hard.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Yogagirl wrote:I need honest feedback. This was my fourth CBX attempt and know I failed the PT (again). My written scores are generally pretty good (average 60-65), but cannot seem to pass the PT because I run out of time again and again and again. I went to an accredited law school and took a PT course during my last semester. I have also taken subsequent courses and written so many of these things that I want to cry because I know I can compete a passing PT in practice, but when it comes to the actual exam, I mess it up - every flipping time. I have horrible test anxiety. I feel sick about this on so many levels.

On this attempt, I beefed up MBE practice hoping it would help me carry the day. After plugging in what I thought my scores might be (given that the PT will be a dismal 50, at best), figured I need about a 1500 MBE scaled score (maybe a tad less). What kind of practice score would give me a good indication that I might be within range? Also, different pontificators have different theories about whether it is possible to pass the exam while failing the PT. Some say that it is NOT possible, but can help if you pay or if you sign up for their course, others say that the MBE can make up for the difference. I simply don't know, but DO know that I am not paying for another course or "consultation." I need honest feedback so that I can try to relax between now and when I return to work. I am a full time teacher and single parent and I do not intend to quit now because this is hard.
How do you know you failed the PT? Did you not answer both questions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yogagirl

New

Post by Yogagirl » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 pm

I barely finished writing out a few rule statements and only a little bit of analysis for the first question. When there were only 30 seconds left wrote a concluding sentence and salutation. I know its a 50.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Yogagirl wrote:I barely finished writing out a few rule statements and only a little bit of analysis for the first question. When there were only 30 seconds left wrote a concluding sentence and salutation. I know its a 50.
If you didn't discuss the 2nd issue, then it probably is a 50. But you never know, your MBE/Essays could probably carry you through. Glad you're not giving up. How much time did you have when you started the PT?

This is my suggestion for you, but take it with a grain of salt because I just took the bar for the first time, so I don't even know how I did. If you have to take it again (hopefully not) I would suggest after lunch starting with your MPT and taking 1:40-1:50hrs if you have to, but get it done. Then I would suggest spending around 50 minutes each for the other two essays, or 1 hour for a really good essay, and 30 minutes to bullshit your way to a not-so great essay that's probably going to be a 55.

Angel66

New

Post by Angel66 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Yogagirl wrote:I barely finished writing out a few rule statements and only a little bit of analysis for the first question. When there were only 30 seconds left wrote a concluding sentence and salutation. I know its a 50.
Was this because you ran overtime on Q4 and Q5? Or was it because you spent too much reading the file and library?

Angel66

New

Post by Angel66 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:25 pm

ladybug1989 wrote:
If you didn't discuss the 2nd issue, then it probably is a 50. But you never know, your MBE/Essays could probably carry you through. Glad you're not giving up. How much time did you have when you started the PT?

This is my suggestion for you, but take it with a grain of salt because I just took the bar for the first time, so I don't even know how I did. If you have to take it again (hopefully not) I would suggest after lunch starting with your MPT and taking 1:40-1:50hrs if you have to, but get it done. Then I would suggest spending around 50 minutes each for the other two essays, or 1 hour for a really good essay, and 30 minutes to bullshit your way to a not-so great essay that's probably going to be a 55.
This is exactly what I did this time - finished the PT really strong using 1 hour 40 minutes; made sure I wrote everything I could think of on Q4 (I’m pretty sure I crushed Q4), and bullshitted Q5, which I had no idea about anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cadreamer

New

Post by cadreamer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Was everyone's analysis for the 2nd part of the MPT question as long or longer than the first part of the question.?

I wrote a decent analysis for the first part of the MPT analysis but I was only able to write a paragraph for the 2nd part of the question. I'm praying that I somehow squeaked out a 60. Basically impossible right?

Yogagirl

New

Post by Yogagirl » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:23 pm

I ran out of time because I went a tad over on the essays. And I agree about staring the PT first for the afternoon session if/when I retake. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

love4vinolaw

New

Post by love4vinolaw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:19 am

bru1n wrote:Am I the only one who thought that this MBE was a complete shit show. Holy cow. I was scoring on average 69-72% on Kaplan's questions (which are not easy btw), and this MBE felt completely foreign. The answer choices were written so, so vaguely and poorly that even though I identified the proper issue and rule in the question, I felt I couldn't match anything remotely close to the answer questions. I feel as though I guessed on every other question.

If I had to guess, I think I got about anywhere from 65-75 questions wrong out of those 200. Do you guys think my chances at passing the MBE are completely shot? Yikes. What an awful note to end the bar.
So I suck at forecasting how people will do, to answer your question there - I don't know. Sorry.

But I echo your sentiment regarding the questions and the quality of writing. I took July17, and Feb 18 and now this one. Although MBE is my weak spot, I was actually doing fairly well the last couple weeks of practice, consistently between 60-73% which for me is pretty good. I swear walking in there, and reading the questions, they could have been in a foregin language or pictures, and I would have had as good, if not better chance of getting them correct.

I did see several questions which gave me a heart sinking feeling that the future holds wills as a potential MBE subject, but then again, I"m not 100% sure I can tell you what topic most of the questions were. There was definately one in my PM session when I stopped and thought about it - I wasn't sure if it was con law or torts, and thats a big swing.

RE: essays. After taking them, I sat down to reflect, and have a theory that the bar has decided to take anything normal, and make it sort of a red herring, and then twist the questions so the actual essay answer are small minutia points of law, after we have raised and dismissed the general things. (or maybe I'm just bitter.) I have to say out of all of the questions, the CP was the most straight forward (not surprising) usually I dont fear the PT, but this time, I felt like I did't even really know what they were asking us to do. Write an "argument" to be inserted in a brief. Um. OK. That's a great Idea if the argument/brief are things the majority of people may come across. (Demurrer / MSJ / Pocket Brief for Motion in Limine / Sanctions brief. Brief to oppose something - sure... I can see all that) but to be honest I wasn't sure if they were in regualr superior court or before a bar in a admin court or what by the time I got through that Damn PT.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:25 am

Angel66 wrote:
ladybug1989 wrote:

This is exactly what I did this time - finished the PT really strong using 1 hour 40 minutes; made sure I wrote everything I could think of on Q4 (I’m pretty sure I crushed Q4), and bullshitted Q5, which I had no idea about anyway.
Second time that I use this method and it really pays off. Last time I got a 65 on the PT (which was my weakness in the previous attempts). This time I was even faster at it and hopefully got another 65 on it. If you are good at PTs (just slow) and are able to pull a 70+ that’s huge for the written portion.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:16 am

Yogagirl wrote:I ran out of time because I went a tad over on the essays. And I agree about staring the PT first for the afternoon session if/when I retake. Thank you very much for the suggestion.
I would also second this strategy, it's what I used for the Feb 2018 CA bar (which I passed).

I actually almost passed the July 2017 CA bar, but scoring a 50 on the PT absolutely killed me. Had I scored 60 on the PT, I probably would have passed. I spent way too much time on Essays 4 & 5, and I was left with less than an hour to complete the PT.

Heading into the 2/18 bar, I pretty much did a full PT practice every other week, focusing on timing. Generally, I'd try to be done reading and outlining within 30 minutes. Then I'd give myself up to 1 hr 45 minutes to get it done. And then I'd move onto Essays 4 & 5. While it's not ideal to have 45-50 minutes per essay, it is infinitely more doable than trying to cram a PT in an hour or less.

Good luck!

carcollector

New

Post by carcollector » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
If you absolutely need to cut things out of your review, cut the lectures out first.
This is absolutely true. Listen to the lectures (if at all) to put yourself to sleep, or as background. That's what I did with an MP3 of all the Kaplan lectures. I haphazardly practiced, practiced, practiced on Adaptibar, threw in a Critical Pass subject every night for two weeks, listened to the lectures around this, (slacked a little bit), threw together a practiced plan of action for the Essay portion during my last week before the bar (never practiced PTs), reviewed CA law through Leansheets until I was very comfortable with CA subjects... drank beers every night of the Bar Exam (sometimes with really light study--if you can even call it that), went to sleep at 10:30pm each night... and was done with it all. Averaged about 6 to 9 hours of study per day over three weeks. Some people are probably getting tired of this because I've put it out there so much (hopefully as reassurance that this test can be done if you have fallen behind--a "don't panic" message of sorts). Also, I think that just calming yourself down and reminding yourself that you can only do what you can with your remaining month is important. Don't go ballistic, but do prepare with urgency at this point.

With a final mention that I am as average Joe as it comes (i.e., anyone can pull this off), in order of importance:

1. Practice the MBE through a testing service that makes it ridiculously convenient. Eventually, you will have tested your way to more knowledge than what those waste of testing time lectures can ever give to you. And personal questions about an MBE subject that motivate you to study the topic more inquisitively will also be a part of your study routine. Adaptibar was with me always, and when I would take a break from any of the other studying I was doing, I'd often find myself powering through questions on my phone in a hot tub with some beers for downtime. It became more like trivia night at a pub than study at that point, and I would get hooked on doing massive sets that way.

2. Find a method of digesting outlines that is much better than the big box outlines. I think that the big box outlines are too much. They are so stuck in the trees with the information that they cover that it can be overwhelming. You don't have time to make your own outlines at this point, and the big box outlines in the books are just way more information than you actually need for the Exam... so your mind is constantly overwhelmed with trying to learn pointless shit in those outlines. Critical Pass, for me, was the most helpful thing outside of Adaptibar. You jst grab a color coded subject, lay down next to your box lid at night after a full day of practice (or burnout... one of the two), and flip them into the lid. On the one hand, it reinforced my studies. On the other, it was an easy way to make myself feel like I wasn't a piece of shit for burning out and watching pointless Youtube videos, or spending time with friends or family, all day :lol: Critical Pass is a well thought out system for studying the MBE rules, and will save you so much time.

3. Listen to your lectures whenever you cannot study. Usually I would listen to them as I was dozing off (they are better than the sounds of nature for sleeping). Other times, when I was driving (it was all I played in my car). And often I found myself tuning into something in the lecture because I had questions from my other areas of study. The lectures are helpful for retaining the rules, and for an elementary understanding on how they apply, but entirely incomplete as far as information about the exam goes.

4. In my last week of study, I picked up an essay writing book on Amazon that saved me so much time. It took me less than an hour to figure out their system, and then the CA specific outlines were much more theme based (which got me into thinking about how I should approach the Essays which are also much more theme based). Practice all of their CA specific tests (three for each subject) and reviewed whether I had issues spotted/stated the rule as their model answers had (lets be real, the majority of my Essay practice was trying to issue spot and at least state the rule, but I didn't have time to do much more than think out what my analysis would be... I urgently needed to at least be set with the rules, and spotting issues, as far as practice went, and analysis was something that I am better at bullshitting).

5. Get something like Leansheets to have one concise outline on the CA rules to review over and over again. These are like the broken down version that Themis wants you to spend a lifetime making, and only contain the meat. Use your Themis book outlines as a supplement when you don't quite understand a topic in your Leansheets.

6. Pass the bar. I did exactly this and had less than a month to prep (I'm one of the 27.3 percent winners from Feb. 2018).
In number 4 you mention an essay book. Which one?

carcollector

New

Post by carcollector » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:00 pm

For the people who used AdaptiBar, did you like it? Why or why not?

I am hearing that the explanations are lacking when compared to S&T. Is that true?

Also, are the Civ Pro questions representative of what you saw on the real exam?

Thanks!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm

I used both S&T and Adaptibar. I first did S&T to establish a firm/good foundation + strategy. Once I finished the S&T book, I moved on and did 1700 more questions on Adaptibar (averaged ~81%). Passed the 2/18 CA bar after 5 failures. I would highly recommend BOTH S&T and Adaptibar for MBE studying.

But yes, in general, S&T's answer explanations are superior to Adaptibar's explanations.

As for Civ Pro? I don't remember having *particular* trouble with civ pro questions on the real exam. If anything, I think I had a general problem with the real MBEs in that they seemed to be asking nothing but super nuanced, 50-50 questions.
carcollector wrote:For the people who used AdaptiBar, did you like it? Why or why not?

I am hearing that the explanations are lacking when compared to S&T. Is that true?

Also, are the Civ Pro questions representative of what you saw on the real exam?

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”