2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
zr3sg

New

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by zr3sg » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:33 am

JakeTappers wrote:On the other end of the "prediction spectrum," does anyone have any thoughts or seen any predictions elsewhere (or compiled them) on what the least likely topics are for the essays? And yes, I am coping on this last weekend and considering gambling a bit. But I presume at least a few are unlikely.
^Community property wasn't on the last bar and they like to test it so it's likely to come up in some capacity. Apart from the subjects that are always tested it's hard to make any predictions w/ certainty, except what anyone could discern by looking at the past tested subjects... like wills usually wont be tested in full two exams in a row (if at all) and con law was tested as a a full question and a partial questions

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:40 am

zr3sg wrote:
JakeTappers wrote:On the other end of the "prediction spectrum," does anyone have any thoughts or seen any predictions elsewhere (or compiled them) on what the least likely topics are for the essays? And yes, I am coping on this last weekend and considering gambling a bit. But I presume at least a few are unlikely.
^Community property wasn't on the last bar and they like to test it so it's likely to come up in some capacity. Apart from the subjects that are always tested it's hard to make any predictions w/ certainty, except what anyone could discern by looking at the past tested subjects... like wills usually wont be tested in full two exams in a row (if at all) and con law was tested as a a full question and a partial questions
All the more reason for the bar examiners to surprise us with two full questions of each on the bar exam.

barprepforca

New

Post by barprepforca » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:43 am

If I get a full wills question, I may just walk out of the exam room.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 am

Yeah, Remedies was suddenly tested like 5 out of 6 exams in a row.

I can understand how "fun" it might be people to predict... this time more so than usual, it seems like. Personally, trying to predict would give me more anxiety, and I'd focus on weak subjects than "likely" subjects. Predictions are like opinions, and you know what they say about opinions.

If you're going to gamble on predictions, just pick one person's predictions (like Dr. Saccuzzo's, whom I have arbitrarily picked). And at least read model answers for the other subjects you're going to abandon...

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:59 am

zr3sg wrote: ^Community property wasn't on the last bar and they like to test it so it's likely to come up in some capacity. Apart from the subjects that are always tested it's hard to make any predictions w/ certainty, except what anyone could discern by looking at the past tested subjects... like wills usually wont be tested in full two exams in a row (if at all) and con law was tested as a a full question and a partial questions
Ah, good call. Thought it was mixed in with wills, but it was not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrro

New

Post by mrro » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:51 am

A few questions if anyone would like to clear this up for me:

ConLaw - Free speech
When is the area outside of a government building a public or non-public forum? So far I have seen on multiple choice questions that the area outside of a courthouse is non-public, but the steps outside of a state capitol is public. What is the difference here? Is there a key distinction between the traditional use for speech between legislative and judicial buildings?

Community property - Businesses
When do you actually apply the business goodwill rules (tests for market valuation/excess earnings)? Does it have any relationship to CP contributions to SP businesses (Pereira/Van Camp)? Are they ever both applied to a given asset, and if so, in what manner/order?

ConLaw - DCC
Is a state law facially discriminatory (requiring the higher standard) if it expressly states a discriminatory purpose but does not expressly discriminate in its terms?

abogado2018

New

Post by abogado2018 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 pm

LASTTIMESACHARM wrote:I did the OPE 3 this morning and scored 83%. I remembered some of the questions from studying. SO this definitely cannot be accurate. I also heard ncbe OPEs are easier than what is tested now.

Any one else have a similar problem? or heard whether OPEs are still good to use?
Where did you hear the OPEs are easier?

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:37 pm

abogado2018 wrote:
LASTTIMESACHARM wrote:I did the OPE 3 this morning and scored 83%. I remembered some of the questions from studying. SO this definitely cannot be accurate. I also heard ncbe OPEs are easier than what is tested now.

Any one else have a similar problem? or heard whether OPEs are still good to use?
Where did you hear the OPEs are easier?
Google OPEs vs Actual MBE, but I think it’s all speculation. I think if you’re scoring around 80% on an OPE you should be close to 70% at least on the exam. People online say “those are the easy questions that NCBE released but there are more hard questions mixed in on the actual MBE”

lawyer786

New

Post by lawyer786 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:05 pm

For those who have already taken the exam, are we allowed to bring our stuff in a backpack, or do we have to keep everything in one of those gallon-sized zip locks like for the LSAT. This includes things like laptop, lunch, pencil, etc. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:16 pm

lawyer786 wrote:For those who have already taken the exam, are we allowed to bring our stuff in a backpack, or do we have to keep everything in one of those gallon-sized zip locks like for the LSAT. This includes things like laptop, lunch, pencil, etc. Thanks!
Everything needs to be in a clear bag. Backpack and lunch stay outside.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Exa ... Exam-Rules

maiden42

New

Post by maiden42 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:42 pm

FYI...... as always, worth what you paid for them (unless you were one of the people that paid $395, then it's worth nothing).

https://barexamguru.com/2018/07/21/pred ... repeaters/

maiden42

New

Post by maiden42 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:44 pm

psg190 wrote:
lawyer786 wrote:For those who have already taken the exam, are we allowed to bring our stuff in a backpack, or do we have to keep everything in one of those gallon-sized zip locks like for the LSAT. This includes things like laptop, lunch, pencil, etc. Thanks!

I think we can bring a backpack to the testing center, but bag stays in the hallway?

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:55 pm

maiden42 wrote:
psg190 wrote:

I think we can bring a backpack to the testing center, but bag stays in the hallway?
Yes, in a hallway outside the testing center. This is a non-secure area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lokikoala

Bronze

Post by lokikoala » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:11 pm

So if you signed up for laptop testing, do you even bring your laptop for MBE(wed) or is that all pencil/handwritten?

Also, you're just supposed to bring your laptop on day 1 solo not in anything. Even a laptop case? I mean, that's what the instructions seem to say but feels a little ridiculous.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:17 pm

lokikoala wrote:So if you signed up for laptop testing, do you even bring your laptop for MBE(wed) or is that all pencil/handwritten?

Also, you're just supposed to bring your laptop on day 1 solo not in anything. Even a laptop case? I mean, that's what the instructions seem to say but feels a little ridiculous.
Lol, I mean...you can't even bring a separate eraser...so no case doesn't seem unusual.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Pretty sure I had a few mixed MBE practice sets in the last 2 weeks before the exam where I scored below 70% several times, including as low as 63%. Still passed the bar and got over 150+ on the MBE.

Hang in there, push through, review answers to make sure you're not missing any details, etc.

Good luck!
xonimi wrote:My MBE scores have dropped a lot these past couple of days. I just did a 50 question mixed set on Adaptibar and got 60%. Anyone else have a similar problem?

barprepforca

New

Post by barprepforca » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:10 pm

I have been all over the map with mine. On adaptibar i'm right at 60% but ive been focusing on my worst subjects so im on pace to do better than that on the test. Then on the most recent set of barbri MBE questions I got 71%, 71%, 74%, and then 43% today so I freaked out and went back to adaptibar and got a 61% on exclusively property questions which is my hardest subject. I have no idea what's gonna happen on test day... i'm all over the map haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Call2222222

New

Post by Call2222222 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:52 am

My MBE scores took a hit the last few weeks when I took the bar exam. I was scoring with 70-75% accuracy consistently and then all of a sudden i dropped to 60% on multiple 50 set questions 2 weeks before the exam. I panicked and went right back to reading outlines and the law. That got me back to the 70% range (that’s where you want to be). If you’re scoring below 70% on the mbe you need to go back to reading the law and looking at the questions you got wrong and RIGHT.

Keep grinding. It’s almost over!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:30 am

Here's my Adaptibar past performance table from last Summer. As you can see, the week before the bar, I slipped on Crim Law, Evidence, Real Property (almost a 15 point percentage drop!), and Torts. But I kept grinding, and managed to bounce back during the last few days before the bar. So keep grinding, you can beat this test!

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:38 am

CA Bar does not permit separate erasers or pencil sharpeners but are you permitted pencils with an eraser on top? Thanks.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 pm

Blueplanet wrote:CA Bar does not permit separate erasers or pencil sharpeners but are you permitted pencils with an eraser on top? Thanks.
No you can't erase on the bar

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:29 pm

On the CA Bar webpage it states "Pencil sharpeners and separate erasers will not be allowed into the examination room" so I was thinking that attached erasers were permitted.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Blueplanet wrote:On the CA Bar webpage it states "Pencil sharpeners and separate erasers will not be allowed into the examination room" so I was thinking that attached erasers were permitted.
yeah no unfortunately it's part of them testing you to be a lawyer. stupid i know but they want to mimic how in real life you can't just "erase" bad decisions.

JulyRepeater

New

Post by JulyRepeater » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Can someone tell me why C is correct? Is it because a quitclaim deed only contains no warranties of title rather than encumbrances?

S contracted to sell land to a B for $300k. The K provided that the closing would be 60 days after the K was signed and that the S would convey to the B a "marketable title" by a quitclaim deed at closing. The K contained no other provisions regarding the title to be delivered to the B.

A title search revealed that the land was subject to an unsatisfied $50k mortgage and a right of way easement over a portion of the land.

B now claims that the title is unmarketable and has refused to close.

Is the B correct?

a. No, because nothing under these facts renders title unmarketable.
b. No, because the B agreed to accept a quitclaim deed.
c. Yes, because the right of way easement makes the title unmarketable.
d. Yes, because the unsatisfied mortgage makes the title unmarketable.

Thanks!

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:20 pm

JulyRepeater wrote:Can someone tell me why C is correct? Is it because a quitclaim deed only contains no warranties of title rather than encumbrances?

S contracted to sell land to a B for $300k. The K provided that the closing would be 60 days after the K was signed and that the S would convey to the B a "marketable title" by a quitclaim deed at closing. The K contained no other provisions regarding the title to be delivered to the B.

A title search revealed that the land was subject to an unsatisfied $50k mortgage and a right of way easement over a portion of the land.

B now claims that the title is unmarketable and has refused to close.

Is the B correct?

a. No, because nothing under these facts renders title unmarketable.
b. No, because the B agreed to accept a quitclaim deed.
c. Yes, because the right of way easement makes the title unmarketable.
d. Yes, because the unsatisfied mortgage makes the title unmarketable.

Thanks!
S may use the 300k to pay off the 50k.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”