2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Naybor

New

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by Naybor » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:34 am

a male human wrote: It's hard for me (being the creator of Magicsheets) to give you an unbiased recommendation, but I encourage you to try out the samples in your study to see which one works better for you (or maybe they complement one another).

As for your MBE, don't necessarily obsess over the overall score, but rather keep track of your performance for each subject. You could be hitting 40% in one and 80% in another to get you an average score that doesn't tell you what you're missing.
Woah, very cool your are active on this site and willing to help!

As for the overall score I get your point, so ideally I wanna ensure I'm balanced all around on the 7 subjects. So should I use those benchmarks for each subject or just keep aiming to be around 80% on each?

My weakest spots so far are K's (57%) and Civ Pro (55%) the rest are 61%-71%.

Thanks
BlueLaw11 wrote: Are you doing a commercial prep program in addition to Adaptibar? Unclear if the Themis + Emmanuels questions are sufficient, or if it's worth getting Adaptibar too
I am doing self-study plan but based off Barbri ( i was gifted last years set of books), only thing I don't have access to is video lectures, but my buddy says Im better off reading the Mini Conviser during the scheduled lecture hours and jumping to doing straight MBE practice (adaptibar) and Writing out of Essays from BArbri nook and doing self grading through the self grade charts.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:47 am

Naybor wrote:
a male human wrote: It's hard for me (being the creator of Magicsheets) to give you an unbiased recommendation, but I encourage you to try out the samples in your study to see which one works better for you (or maybe they complement one another).

As for your MBE, don't necessarily obsess over the overall score, but rather keep track of your performance for each subject. You could be hitting 40% in one and 80% in another to get you an average score that doesn't tell you what you're missing.
Woah, very cool your are active on this site and willing to help!

As for the overall score I get your point, so ideally I wanna ensure I'm balanced all around on the 7 subjects. So should I use those benchmarks for each subject or just keep aiming to be around 80% on each?

My weakest spots so far are K's (57%) and Civ Pro (55%) the rest are 61%-71%.

Thanks
I think you're doing fine if you're getting least 65% on all subjects. Not a hard benchmark though.

scard

New

is this grounds for challenges my 2018 February cox score?

Post by scard » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:03 pm

just received my failed essays back from the February 2018 Ca bar Exam.

looking at the essays, some have a crease at the end (see photo below), some have a crease in the middle of the cover (see photo below) and some do not have a visible crease at all.

turns out the one with the obvious crease all the way to the left received a passing score, the other float between 50-60.

its pretty impossible to read the essay and legitimately grade it with the cover half open where the crease is. I'm wondering if this may be grounds to challenge the score iv received.

https://s33.postimg.cc/i3ryvdzm7/IMG_1143.jpg

https://s33.postimg.cc/3kktu0grz/IMG_1142.jpg

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Re: is this grounds for challenges my 2018 February cox score?

Post by Nightcrawler » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:07 pm

scard wrote:just received my failed essays back from the February 2018 Ca bar Exam.

looking at the essays, some have a crease at the end (see photo below), some have a crease in the middle of the cover (see photo below) and some do not have a visible crease at all.

turns out the one with the obvious crease all the way to the left received a passing score, the other float between 50-60.

its pretty impossible to read the essay and legitimately grade it with the cover half open where the crease is. I'm wondering if this may be grounds to challenge the score iv received.

It seems a stretch. Even if you are able to prove that they didn't read it, they still have maximum-gestapo discretion on their shady and secret procedures.

From my understanding, challenging you CBX score for something other than a clerical error is gonna be hard. I don't have much knowledge of it though. It will be nice to hear what other people say, maybe with more hands on experience.

JoeSeperac

Re: is this grounds for challenges my 2018 February cox score?

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:
scard wrote:just received my failed essays back from the February 2018 Ca bar Exam.

It seems a stretch. Even if you are able to prove that they didn't read it, they still have maximum-gestapo discretion on their shady and secret procedures.

From my understanding, challenging you CBX score for something other than a clerical error is gonna be hard. I don't have much knowledge of it though. It will be nice to hear what other people say, maybe with more hands on experience.
In my opinion, you would be wasting your time trying to appeal this. I often have examinees come to me asking about appeals or re-grades, but I have never heard of an examinee being successful through a request for an appeal or re-grade (even when examinees have very meritorius claims). I better explain it here if you are interested in reading the long explanation:
https://ubeessays.com/appealing-your-bar-exam-results/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:03 am

seeing a bunch of people on reddit/TLS talk about reaching 70% completion with their bar course as some sort of benchmark. can anyone elaborate as to why this is so? i just assumed i would try to finish 100%.

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Hello,

Can people let me know how many essays they practise for the CA Bar? I'm a UK attorney and I registered with Kaplan. I also use BarMax for MBE questions. I'm fine on the MBE's and believe I can hit at least 70% often higher. I've only completed 5 essays with Kaplan to date and hit 50% but there 5 weeks to the exam (assuming I take July). I could delay until Feb 19 but would appreciate peoples views on how many essays they practice. Thanks.

Angel66

New

Post by Angel66 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:40 pm

Blueplanet wrote:Hello,

Can people let me know how many essays they practise for the CA Bar? I'm a UK attorney and I registered with Kaplan. I also use BarMax for MBE questions. I'm fine on the MBE's and believe I can hit at least 70% often higher. I've only completed 5 essays with Kaplan to date and hit 50% but there 5 weeks to the exam (assuming I take July). I could delay until Feb 19 but would appreciate peoples views on how many essays they practice. Thanks.
So far I have written out about 7-8 essays under timed condition. That’s about one essay per subject. But I issue spotted a lot more (probably 3-5 essays per subject). The advice I got was that during the first stage of study (which is where I am right now), try to focus on the understanding and digestion of the BLL, instead of rote memorization. Then for the second stage and third stage (2-4 weeks out mark), spend more time on actual practice of essays (i.e. write full essays under timed condition) and memorization of rules. I plan to write at least another one to two full essay for each subject during these phases.

I don’t know if this would be the best strategy for everyone but I think it makes sense and I’m strictly following it now. Let’s see how it works.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm

santoki wrote:seeing a bunch of people on reddit/TLS talk about reaching 70% completion with their bar course as some sort of benchmark. can anyone elaborate as to why this is so? i just assumed i would try to finish 100%.
I think it's because hitting 100% is pretty ambitious so to not be too demoralizing they recommend you at least hit a certain threshold. I'm doing Themis and their aim is 75% completion. They publish pass rates for anyone who completed 75% or more of the course, I guess because if you complete less than that they won't attribute your failure to Themis :wink: Also looking at their study schedule, the last 25% of the course is pretty much just practice exams. So if you complete 75% you've gotten through all the material and everything after that is extra practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:12 pm

arose928 wrote:
santoki wrote:seeing a bunch of people on reddit/TLS talk about reaching 70% completion with their bar course as some sort of benchmark. can anyone elaborate as to why this is so? i just assumed i would try to finish 100%.
I think it's because hitting 100% is pretty ambitious so to not be too demoralizing they recommend you at least hit a certain threshold. I'm doing Themis and their aim is 75% completion. They publish pass rates for anyone who completed 75% or more of the course, I guess because if you complete less than that they won't attribute your failure to Themis :wink: Also looking at their study schedule, the last 25% of the course is pretty much just practice exams. So if you complete 75% you've gotten through all the material and everything after that is extra practice.
If it helps anyone who also has my experience, I jumped into Adaptibar immediately (with no prior review of anything). I started out doing things subject by subject about 20-30 questions at a time. Hitting around 53% on most subjects shocked me into remembering the explanations, and into reviewing the topic subjects that I did especially poorly on. Eventually, my average was 63% (which is scary when you visit this board and hear everyone boasting of averages of 75% overall). But look at whether in the last week (prior-to-the-bar) your average on individual test sets becomes consistently higher. Mine ranged in the 68% to 75% range. And because it was practice, I also know that I was focusing more on maintaining my times rather than worrying about always getting it right... which I worried a bit more about during the actual exam.

My NCBE advisory report let me know that I was above 1500, which is good enough for, I think it was, North Dakota.

Moral of the story: do not be afraid to make mistakes and dig right in (even if, by superficial comparison, having a score of 63%--when not understood in the context of how I was studying--seemed pretty bad). Fear of making mistakes during practice, and the idea of "oh shit, I am going to fail" if you even see one bad score on a practice test can create the type of paralysis what will kill you in preparation for this test. Make mistakes. You learn the most from the mistakes you have made, in my opinion, and when you are not scared (by the enormity of the idea of taking the CBX) into inaction. Knowing that you absolutely suck on some subjects can be highly motivating as far as creating urgency in study, so use the information that you are getting from testing for motivation. Eventually, I had to remind myself that while I absolutely sucked on some of the Exam topics at first, my practice in the week prior to the Exam was consistently where it needed to be (with some aberrations depending on the question sets I would get during practice).

In sum, my overall MBE practice scores worried me... even as I took the test I was worried about what an overall 63% meant for me. But remember that the mistakes you make are what make you stronger in those subject areas if you take the time to learn from them (I passed the CBX with a little under 3 weeks to study).

Calcrastinator

New

Post by Calcrastinator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm

So Themis bar prep isn't working for me. The whole video lectures and filling in blanks doesn't help me retain anything. I've fallen way behind and cannot figure out what to do in the remaining month to get prepared for this exam. Should I postpone taking it or is there a schedule someone knows will get me ready within the month?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Calcrastinator wrote:So Themis bar prep isn't working for me. The whole video lectures and filling in blanks doesn't help me retain anything. I've fallen way behind and cannot figure out what to do in the remaining month to get prepared for this exam. Should I postpone taking it or is there a schedule someone knows will get me ready within the month?

How far behind are you? How many essays and MBE questions have you answered and reviewed?

Calcrastinator

New

Post by Calcrastinator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Calcrastinator wrote:So Themis bar prep isn't working for me. The whole video lectures and filling in blanks doesn't help me retain anything. I've fallen way behind and cannot figure out what to do in the remaining month to get prepared for this exam. Should I postpone taking it or is there a schedule someone knows will get me ready within the month?

How far behind are you? How many essays and MBE questions have you answered and reviewed?

I am at 23% completion. I've completed about 300 MBE questions from contracts, property, and torts combined. I've done 2 graded essays and 10 fully written 1 hour essays. I've also done 1 full MPT and outlined 2.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Calcrastinator wrote:

I am at 23% completion. I've completed about 300 MBE questions from contracts, property, and torts combined. I've done 2 graded essays and 10 fully written 1 hour essays. I've also done 1 full MPT and outlined 2.

In my personal opinion, I would not delay taking the test, even if you do not complete your review. First, it's too late to get an exam fee refund, so you might as well take the test anyway. Second, taking the test will get your familiar with it just in case you need to take it again.

I am not familiar with the Themis lectures, but my suggestion would be to get your hands on Barbri's Mini Convisor book. Review your BLL out of that, and continue answering MBE questions/essays religiously. Consider Adaptibar.com for your MBE and BarEssays.com to compare passing essays. Email me for a BarEssays discount if you are interested: bardiscounts@yesyoucanpass.com

If you absolutely need to cut things out of your review, cut the lectures out first.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Basically agree with FinallyPassedTheBar.

Calcrastinator » I have an email going out this Saturday addressing that exact situation ("How do you even know you're practicing correctly?"). Check the blog on Saturday or wait for the email if you're subscribed.

Calcrastinator

New

Post by Calcrastinator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Calcrastinator wrote:

In my personal opinion, I would not delay taking the test, even if you do not complete your review. First, it's too late to get an exam fee refund, so you might as well take the test anyway. Second, taking the test will get your familiar with it just in case you need to take it again.

I am not familiar with the Themis lectures, but my suggestion would be to get your hands on Barbri's Mini Convisor book. Review your BLL out of that, and continue answering MBE questions/essays religiously. Consider Adaptibar.com for your MBE and BarEssays.com to compare passing essays. Email me for a BarEssays discount if you are interested: bardiscounts@yesyoucanpass.com

If you absolutely need to cut things out of your review, cut the lectures out first.

Thank you so much. I have the critical pass flashcards that help with the MBE BLL but it's just frustrating that these courses throw you into hours of lectures and make learning overwhelming. I learn better with practice and visualizing the concepts.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 pm

This is absolutely true. Listen to the lectures (if at all) to put yourself to sleep, or as background. That's what I did with an MP3 of all the Kaplan lectures. I haphazardly practiced, practiced, practiced on Adaptibar, threw in a Critical Pass subject every night for two weeks, listened to the lectures around this, (slacked a little bit), threw together a practiced plan of action for the Essay portion during my last week before the bar (never practiced PTs), reviewed CA law through Leansheets until I was very comfortable with CA subjects... drank beers every night of the Bar Exam (sometimes with really light study--if you can even call it that), went to sleep at 10:30pm each night... and was done with it all. Averaged about 6 to 9 hours of study per day over three weeks. Some people are probably getting tired of this because I've put it out there so much (hopefully as reassurance that this test can be done if you have fallen behind--a "don't panic" message of sorts). Also, I think that just calming yourself down and reminding yourself that you can only do what you can with your remaining month is important. Don't go ballistic, but do prepare with urgency at this point.

With a final mention that I am as average Joe as it comes (i.e., anyone can pull this off), in order of importance:

1. Practice the MBE through a testing service that makes it ridiculously convenient. Eventually, you will have tested your way to more knowledge than what those waste of testing time lectures can ever give to you. And personal questions about an MBE subject that motivate you to study the topic more inquisitively will also be a part of your study routine. Adaptibar was with me always, and when I would take a break from any of the other studying I was doing, I'd often find myself powering through questions on my phone in a hot tub with some beers for downtime. It became more like trivia night at a pub than study at that point, and I would get hooked on doing massive sets that way.

2. Find a method of digesting outlines that is much better than the big box outlines. I think that the big box outlines are too much. They are so stuck in the trees with the information that they cover that it can be overwhelming. You don't have time to make your own outlines at this point, and the big box outlines in the books are just way more information than you actually need for the Exam... so your mind is constantly overwhelmed with trying to learn pointless shit in those outlines. Critical Pass, for me, was the most helpful thing outside of Adaptibar. You jst grab a color coded subject, lay down next to your box lid at night after a full day of practice (or burnout... one of the two), and flip them into the lid. On the one hand, it reinforced my studies. On the other, it was an easy way to make myself feel like I wasn't a piece of shit for burning out and watching pointless Youtube videos, or spending time with friends or family, all day :lol: Critical Pass is a well thought out system for studying the MBE rules, and will save you so much time.

3. Listen to your lectures whenever you cannot study. Usually I would listen to them as I was dozing off (they are better than the sounds of nature for sleeping). Other times, when I was driving (it was all I played in my car). And often I found myself tuning into something in the lecture because I had questions from my other areas of study. The lectures are helpful for retaining the rules, and for an elementary understanding on how they apply, but entirely incomplete as far as information about the exam goes.

4. In my last week of study, I picked up an essay writing book on Amazon that saved me so much time. It took me less than an hour to figure out their system, and then the CA specific outlines were much more theme based (which got me into thinking about how I should approach the Essays which are also much more theme based). Practice all of their CA specific tests (three for each subject) and reviewed whether I had issues spotted/stated the rule as their model answers had (lets be real, the majority of my Essay practice was trying to issue spot and at least state the rule, but I didn't have time to do much more than think out what my analysis would be... I urgently needed to at least be set with the rules, and spotting issues, as far as practice went, and analysis was something that I am better at bullshitting).

5. Get something like Leansheets to have one concise outline on the CA rules to review over and over again. These are like the broken down version that Themis wants you to spend a lifetime making, and only contain the meat. Use your Themis book outlines as a supplement when you don't quite understand a topic in your Leansheets.

6. Pass the bar. I did exactly this and had less than a month to prep (I'm one of the 27.3 percent winners from Feb. 2018).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Naybor

New

Post by Naybor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Can anyone help me understand this portion of Community Property regarding Reimbursement when using CP for education

" The community is not entitled to reimbursement if: ...The need for spousal support is reduced by the education or training"

So is this saying, if the education has made/brought us in enough money that neither of us needs spousal support once we separate, no need to reimburse back to the community??

Thanks in advance

scard

New

Post by scard » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Naybor wrote:Can anyone help me understand this portion of Community Property regarding Reimbursement when using CP for education

" The community is not entitled to reimbursement if: ...The need for spousal support is reduced by the education or training"

So is this saying, if the education has made/brought us in enough money that neither of us needs spousal support once we separate, no need to reimburse back to the community??

Thanks in advance
here is a passage from magic sheets.

c. Education or training: A degree is not a divisible asset subject to CP laws. However...

i. Loan incurred during marriage for the education or training is assigned to spouse receiving education
ii. Community will be reimbursed for community contributions (tuition, loans) made to the education or
training of a party that substantially enhances the earning capacity of that party
1. Community’s right to reimbursement may be modified if 1) community has already substantially
benefited from the education or training, 2) need the education recipient would otherwise have for spousal support substantially reduced by gainful employment, or 3) other spouse also receives community-funded education and offsets
2. Rebuttable presumption: Community has not substantially benefited from community contributions made less than 10 years before divorce. No reimbursement if CP has substantially benefitted (e.g., 10 years have passed)
a. Rebut if < 10 years with facts indicating “substantial” earnings or how hard the spouse worked at the profession as a factor can prevent reimbursement to CP

so in other words, if the education placed the educated spouse in a position where they now have or could have gainful employment and have a substantial reduction for the amount of spousal support otherwise needed, contribution to the community for tuition paid will be limited.

of course the gainfully employed position the educated spouse is in can be attributed to other factors such as hard work or promotion / pay increase based on long time commitment with employer.

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:58 am

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote: 6. Pass the bar. I did exactly this and had less than a month to prep (I'm one of the 27.3 percent winners from Feb. 2018).
Was this as a first-time taker?

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 pm

how do fellow Barbri members feel about studying off of the CMR for wills/trusts instead of listening to this fill-in lecture from sliskovich?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:26 pm

santoki wrote:how do fellow Barbri members feel about studying off of the CMR for wills/trusts instead of listening to this fill-in lecture from sliskovich?
I took barbri for my first bar exam attempt. IIRC (and if the professor is still the same guy), the wills/trusts lecture was by far the least helpful... it was borderline a waste of time.

So yeah, I think you'll be fine relying on CMR or other resources (BarEssays, Mary Basick's blue book).

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm

santoki wrote:how do fellow Barbri members feel about studying off of the CMR for wills/trusts instead of listening to this fill-in lecture from sliskovich?
For Wills/Trusts, I think Barbri's were least effective. go back and study wills/trusts essays (plus crossovers) there's a very specific universe they pull from and readng actual questions/answers was the only way I got through the material. Was very well prepared for Feb 18's Wills question. fortunately i have no idea how i scored on it though :D

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:01 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
For Wills/Trusts, I think Barbri's were least effective. go back and study wills/trusts essays (plus crossovers) there's a very specific universe they pull from and readng actual questions/answers was the only way I got through the material. Was very well prepared for Feb 18's Wills question. fortunately i have no idea how i scored on it though :D
justanotheruser wrote:
I took barbri for my first bar exam attempt. IIRC (and if the professor is still the same guy), the wills/trusts lecture was by far the least helpful... it was borderline a waste of time.

So yeah, I think you'll be fine relying on CMR or other resources (BarEssays, Mary Basick's blue book).
thank you both, i'll elect to study this through BarEssays outlines/answers.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:19 pm

The amount of CA exceptions to the MBE rules is overwhelming... feels like learning two doctrines

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”