2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dabigchina

Gold

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by dabigchina » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 pm

how tf did i even pass, i dont even right now

phonylawyer2017

New

Post by phonylawyer2017 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:41 pm

Anyone know if NCBEX score services provides your MBE score if you failed and you request it? I did so, and file cabinet is empty.

mathandthelaw

New

Post by mathandthelaw » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:09 am

I passed! Congrats to ALL who passed. To those who did not, stay strong!

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:12 am

I owe a huge shoutout to all my cyber buddies on this board. I was the worst of the bar exam Eeyores: I hated law school, didn't take the exam after graduating in 2012, struggled while studying, failed miserably as a first-time taker last year, and by some miracle passed on my second go around. Kudos to everyone who took the exam, and to those who are down right now keep your chin up - you'll pass this thing.

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:15 am

mathandthelaw wrote:I passed! Congrats to ALL who passed. To those who did not, stay strong!
Math, congrats!!! I thought you would. Glad so many of you guys I interacted with on the forum passed. Hope you all celebrate and have a chance to chill now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LALocal76

New

Post by LALocal76 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:28 am

psg190 wrote:I owe a huge shoutout to all my cyber buddies on this board. I was the worst of the bar exam Eeyores: I hated law school, didn't take the exam after graduating in 2012, struggled while studying, failed miserably as a first-time taker last year, and by some miracle passed on my second go around. Kudos to everyone who took the exam, and to those who are down right now keep your chin up - you'll pass this thing.
Thank you for your post. I can relate, and I’m heartened to hear you passed on the second go around. Congratulations, and thanks again.

phonylawyer2017

New

Post by phonylawyer2017 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 am

Did the admissions page update for everyone, even those who failed? My last update was before the 6pm release time.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:26 am

Foreign law graduate from a non-English speaking country, and 4th time taker. Against all odds, I PASSED THE CALIFORNIA BAR EXAM. A huge thank you to a male human, Joe Seperac, and all other supporting members of this community. Congrats to all those who passed. For those who failed, do not let this put you down. This test is beatable. It’s fucking hard but you can do it if you want it.

barprepforca

New

Post by barprepforca » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:54 am

Also I have to stress that whoever recommended taking 10-15 minutes from each essay to spend more time on the PT was a genius. I felt like having that extra time to nail down the PT was a must and I still had enough time on the CP and Con Law essays to adequately take them on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 am

barprepforca wrote:Also I have to stress that whoever recommended taking 10-15 minutes from each essay to spend more time on the PT was a genius. I felt like having that extra time to nail down the PT was a must and I still had enough time on the CP and Con Law essays to adequately take them on.
Agree. I gave this advice last time because it proved successful during my previous attempts. That time, I got a 65 on the PT which helps. A big thanks to whoever suggested that to me in the past. Real game changer! I’m sure this time it helped too. I will never know, which is great lol.

Aavni

New

Post by Aavni » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:10 am

Passed. 1st time CA taker, passed NY last year. Foreign educated, non-English speaking country. Used Kaplan for NY, Barmax for CA.

mimim8

New

Post by mimim8 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:25 am

Passed!

Attorneys exam-
I would kill to see my scores because my PT sucked. I literally had only 800 words down when time was called.

mimim8

New

Post by mimim8 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:42 am

JakeTappers wrote:Took the attorneys exam after studying 3 weeks and failed. Will be interested to see how close I came. Tough part is not knowing what to do differently, except MORE. Which sucks (will be trying cases by 2019). 32%. Amazing!
Dude, I was literally on ur same boat

I took the attys exam July 2017 after studying full time and knowing it all inside out and failed.

I took the July 2018 atty exam, while working full time, week and a half off from work and passed. Idk how but I did. I’ll be happy to share maybe some insight into what I did differently if interested. But in short- last time I tried to memorize eeeeverything But I wasn’t prepared for an essay exam. I feel like I would have done well had I taken the MBE. This time I didn’t have time to learn everything so while I reviewed everything- I focused memorizing perfect essay templates on all the main bar topics. And I focused my studying on MBE topics. When I would review I topic I would see how I would frame it in essay form and literally memorize the whole flow. I know it helped me a lot in the evidence, Pr and con law questions.

Don’t give up!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

barprepforca wrote:Also I have to stress that whoever recommended taking 10-15 minutes from each essay to spend more time on the PT was a genius. I felt like having that extra time to nail down the PT was a must and I still had enough time on the CP and Con Law essays to adequately take them on.
I failed the July 2017 bar by 26-28 points, and me getting a 50 on the PT was an absolute killer (this was the first exam after the format change). I spent way too much time on Essays 4 & 5, choked under pressure, and by the time I got to the PT I only had 30 minutes remaining.

When practicing for the February 2018 bar (which I passed), I decided from the get go I would be doing the PT first (allowing myself to spend up to 1 hr 45 minutes) before moving onto Essays 4 & 5. Ideally, I'd finish the PT in 90 minutes max, but even if I went up to 1 hr 45 minutes, I'd only be deducting 7-8 minutes from each of the two remaining essays (not a big deal).

Practice paid off and the PT was the least stressful part of the Feb 2018 bar for me.

ipse dixit

New

Post by ipse dixit » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:07 am

Passed, first time! Thank you, barbri! :D

Congrats to all who made it on the pass list. To all others, stay focused and you will get there!

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 am

justanotheruser wrote:
I failed the July 2017 bar by 26-28 points, and me getting a 50 on the PT was an absolute killer (this was the first exam after the format change). I spent way too much time on Essays 4 & 5, choked under pressure, and by the time I got to the PT I only had 30 minutes remaining.

When practicing for the February 2018 bar (which I passed), I decided from the get go I would be doing the PT first (allowing myself to spend up to 1 hr 45 minutes) before moving onto Essays 4 & 5. Ideally, I'd finish the PT in 90 minutes max, but even if I went up to 1 hr 45 minutes, I'd only be deducting 7-8 minutes from each of the two remaining essays (not a big deal).

Practice paid off and the PT was the least stressful part of the Feb 2018 bar for me.
Agree with the emphasis on allocating extra time to the PT. Having the extra time allowed me to delve further into the material and also create a proper intro, conclusion and citations.

Also, if you’re an attorney who failed and took the 1 day format I’d strongly consider switching to the two day format. Honestly, the MBE isn’t that bad and can be gamed via continuous practice. Unlike the essays, the grading for the MBE isn’t subjective and you don’t have to worry about what grader you’re going to get. I’ve heard of a few horror stories where people score differently upon regrade due to weird subjectivity in the graders... I’m licensed also in TX, wasn’t eligible yet for the two day format, but I’d still do things the same way regardless. Going to order my MBE score from the NCBE to try and figure out just how much it helped me.

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:16 am

I didn’t pass.

I’m still hoping there’s an error and I’ll know for sure the day they release the list to the public. I know I’m being too hopeful but I’m just in denial because I put my everything in this.

It sucks that I can’t even know now what’s my MBE score or essays.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:55 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
UChicago2017 wrote:My admission status page was just updated to reflect that I passed. Good luck to everyone else!
wow it came out early!
This was so clutch for me to find out a few minutes early. Passed and thankful!

ckyo01

New

Post by ckyo01 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:07 am

Is there a way to find out what our essay scores or mbe scores were if we passed?

phoebe123

New

Post by phoebe123 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:06 am

I failed (first time taker) and am feeling really, really depressed - questioning if I’m even cut out to be an attorney. Anyone have any advice for picking yourself up again for the next one?

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:22 am

santoki wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
UChicago2017 wrote:My admission status page was just updated to reflect that I passed. Good luck to everyone else!
wow it came out early!
Congrats bud, never again!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

diatribe

New

Post by diatribe » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:28 am

santoki wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
wow it came out early!
Can confirm that the admissions status page updated prior to the pass list being released. I learned I passed at 5:58 and was able to confirm on the official pass list at 6:00. Two minutes isn’t a great cheat but it was something

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:44 am

diatribe wrote:
santoki wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
wow it came out early!
Can confirm that the admissions status page updated prior to the pass list being released. I learned I passed at 5:58 and was able to confirm on the official pass list at 6:00. Two minutes isn’t a great cheat but it was something
Huh, so that is a thing eh? Also, I noticed that it is dated earlier. When I checked my admission page it stated that I was on motion as of 11/13. This information needs to be preserved to prevent future massive freakouts lol.

Honey0808

New

Post by Honey0808 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Congrats to all that passed! To those who didn't, don't despair, you got this the next time around! This exam IS beatable.

For future reference for anyone scouring this thread to see if people seemed surprised by their results, I passed and was a nervous wreck awaiting results, given the following mistakes I made:

1) didn't mention the written k requirement for contracts
2) didn't mention EP or contracts clause for con law which I think were major issues. This essay was a sh**show with me copying and pasting chunks of analysis then going back, deleting and ending up with a short essay.
3) didn't have time for a conclusion PT, felt super rushed on that

..and several other issues that aren't coming to mind now. This exam doesn't require perfection as there are plenty of ways to make up lost points in other areas. For future tester takers don't get discouraged if you miss issues in practice essays or if you get less than outstanding MBE scores, this test doesn't require perfection! Give it your all during prep and have faith in the process of preparation. Shoutout to everyone on TLS that has given such great advice and have been so supportive. If anyone needs any advice from a repeat taker, PM me, I'd love to pay it forward!

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:11 pm

I don't understand how California doesn't think their exam is too hard when 60 percent of people who have been licensed as attorneys by another state can't pass the exam. Could you imagine this in any other field? Would California ever get away with rejecting 60 percent of out-of-state doctors? It's a joke

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”