2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MBernard

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by MBernard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:17 pm

xonimi wrote:On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very prepared, how ready do you guys feel at this point? I still feel really unprepared and there's only a week left. :cry:
8 or a 9. That's only because this isn't my first rodeo though and the subject matter is very familiar to the last bar I took. Being nervous and worrying is definitely the norm though so no worries. I felt the same during my first bar and was sure I failed. I kept up a huge confidence game during the test though despite the challenges and sure enough things went very well. It's definitely critical to remain calm during the process even if it's just a facade.

My studying is very casual at this point, issue spotting essays and writing rules statements + 30 MBE questions a day. I find that writing out the issues plus the rules statements helps with muscle memory and keeps me fresh. Simple stuff like eating healthy, exercising and keeping positive makes all the difference too. It's trite advice but hey it's true.

I'm probably going to call it quits on the 22nd and just relax.

xonimi

New

Post by xonimi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Angel66 wrote:
xonimi wrote:On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very prepared, how ready do you guys feel at this point? I still feel really unprepared and there's only a week left. :cry:
Around 4-5 at the most. I can spot issues, but it’s really so difficult to remember all the BLL cold. Very nervous right now. :?
Same here. I just did a few essays and while I spotted most of the issues, I could type out less than half by memory. If this was a problem for only 1 or 2 subjects, I wouldn't be so nervous. I'm having the same trouble with almost all the subjects.

xonimi

New

Post by xonimi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:30 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
Yeah me too, but only with regard to the essays. Seriously tearing my hair out trying to figure out what’s wrong with me. My MBE sets are consistently around 70-75% on adaptibar, and I feel like I generally know the law, but I freeze up on essays. Any advice for these next 9 days is seriously welcome
I'm getting around 68%-73% on my adapitbar sets and even higher on barbri sets so I'm not too worried about the MBEs. I just can't type out a solid rule statement. Every time I attempt an essay closed book, I see the issues but I'm unable to put together rules for most of them

xonimi

New

Post by xonimi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:33 pm

MBernard wrote:
8 or a 9. That's only because this isn't my first rodeo though and the subject matter is very familiar to the last bar I took. Being nervous and worrying is definitely the norm though so no worries. I felt the same during my first bar and was sure I failed. I kept up a huge confidence game during the test though despite the challenges and sure enough things went very well. It's definitely critical to remain calm during the process even if it's just a facade.

My studying is very casual at this point, issue spotting essays and writing rules statements + 30 MBE questions a day. I find that writing out the issues plus the rules statements helps with muscle memory and keeps me fresh. Simple stuff like eating healthy, exercising and keeping positive makes all the difference too. It's trite advice but hey it's true.

I'm probably going to call it quits on the 22nd and just relax.
Did you have the rule statements memorized well for the last bar? That's my main issue. I'm fine with MBEs for the most part but I can barely write out rules on an essay. I'm not sure how I'm going to memorize all the necessary rules for each subject in a week.

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:06 am

xonimi wrote: Did you have the rule statements memorized well for the last bar? That's my main issue. I'm fine with MBEs for the most part but I can barely write out rules on an essay. I'm not sure how I'm going to memorize all the necessary rules for each subject in a week.
I want to say for the most part I did have a good working grasp of the rule statements. If I didn’t know it I generally could make up something reasonable, which you definitely should do as a last resort. Something reasonable plus good analysis might get you some points if you’re in a tough spot. There were certainly some ancillary rules that I didn’t know and there was definitely one subject (Commercial Papers) where I literally didn’t have a clue.

A buddy of mine, who took and passed the CBX this feb told me he literally felt like he had forgotten everything a week before the test and I know he messed up the Wills Q. So there’s definitely room for error. I’d probably try and create some memory mnemonics or writing out the rule statements. It might be more nerves more than anything else which as mentioned is normal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dandan22222

New

Post by Dandan22222 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 am

Help! So maybe I am way off base but I was told that the dr. Sacuzzo predictions are specific and he’s usually spot on (I.d. It’s going to be a strict liability torts problem). I can only find the general predictions. Has anyone listened to the specific predictions and wouldn’t mind sharing? Thank you!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 am

During the last two weeks before D-Day, my feelings ranged from as low as 3 to as high as 7. Don't underestimate the amount you can get done in the last week or so (provided you haven't procrastinated and wasted weeks of time). Continue to do some mixed MBEs (perhaps focusing in on your 2-3 weakest areas). As for essays, at this point, I issue spotted on two essay subjects each day (4-5 essays per subject) + compared/reviewed BarEssays. It all came together for me slowly but surely and I somehow passed the 2/18 CA bar.

Good luck!

lawlurk

New

Post by lawlurk » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:22 am

Im all over the dam place. I can def say that this past week was terrible, the nerves have kicked in fully and Ive had two legit panic attacks this week. This despite the fact that I've been doing the schedule for my bar prep. Just been very physically and emotionally draining doing all this in utter solitude with little rest for months now.

Idk why, I really felt genuinely confident until the last Monday-present. It all feels very do or die now. Also, I am bitter that I could have just been actually memorizing this nonsense myself easily from day one, versus listening to lectures/doing busy work. lol but seriously, what a scam.

So anywho, on balance, Id currently give myself a 5. Some topics on some days Im okay, others its a bit more of a struggle am trying my best to harness the anxiety as my fuel.

I would be immensely happy to see civ pro, contracts, evidence, crim pro/crim law on the essays. If I get full corps, partnership, remedies, or PR Im utterly fucked.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 am

Last summer I did mbe questions sets all the way up until Sunday before the bar. And I even did a set on Tuesday night on the eve of the MBE, as well as Wednesday morning at 7am.

I would suggest doing that, but only if you think you can handle the possibility of getting all the questions wrong, and still not be freaked out. It's a risk, but it's worth taking if you can handle a possible low percentage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:51 am

MBE and MBE subjects (for the essay) I feel I'm at like a 7. For state subjects I'm closer to a 3.

I took a practice trusts essay last night (Kaplan) where I didn't spot a single issue. :S

Angel66

New

Post by Angel66 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:15 pm

lawlurk wrote:
Im all over the dam place. I can def say that this past week was terrible, the nerves have kicked in fully and Ive had two legit panic attacks this week. This despite the fact that I've been doing the schedule for my bar prep. Just been very physically and emotionally draining doing all this in utter solitude with little rest for months now.

Idk why, I really felt genuinely confident until the last Monday-present. It all feels very do or die now. Also, I am bitter that I could have just been actually memorizing this nonsense myself easily from day one, versus listening to lectures/doing busy work. lol but seriously, what a scam.

So anywho, on balance, Id currently give myself a 5. Some topics on some days Im okay, others its a bit more of a struggle am trying my best to harness the anxiety as my fuel.

I would be immensely happy to see civ pro, contracts, evidence, crim pro/crim law on the essays. If I get full corps, partnership, remedies, or PR Im utterly fucked.
But the subjects in your last sentence may very well appear on this administration of the CBX... :(

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Seriously what is the psychology behind taking a mixed MBE set, feeling like you know nothing, and scoring 90%+....

LASTTIMESACHARM

New

Post by LASTTIMESACHARM » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 pm

So this is my millionth time taking this bar. & also my last attempt. I have become desensitized to it it seems. However this is my last attempt. I have been actively studying for 2 weeks ( I tried working and studying, didn't really pan out like I planned. Girl needs monies to survive) Anyway. My issues for failing aren't that I don't know the law in regards to essays. I have consistently scored passing scores. I usually do okay by just memorizing the last week before the exam. The hardest part for me are mbes. In the past I have done thousands and failed. SO far this time I have taken the time to go deep into the substantive law and really go through the Emanauals strategies and tactics book and read every single wrong and right answer. However I am only getting around 62-69 % and the 69% is only when I remember the answer. To pass I know I need to be aiming for ATLEAST 75-80% IN PRACTICE EXAMS.

Does anyone have any tips that will help me in the next few days to get that last jump I need for mbes? As I need to also start focusing on issue spotting and memorization for essays in the remaining days ahead as well.

anything will help. I want to give it my all this last time and pray for the best.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm

LASTTIMESACHARM wrote:So this is my millionth time taking this bar. & also my last attempt. I have become desensitized to it it seems. However this is my last attempt. I have been actively studying for 2 weeks ( I tried working and studying, didn't really pan out like I planned. Girl needs monies to survive) Anyway. My issues for failing aren't that I don't know the law in regards to essays. I have consistently scored passing scores. I usually do okay by just memorizing the last week before the exam. The hardest part for me are mbes. In the past I have done thousands and failed. SO far this time I have taken the time to go deep into the substantive law and really go through the Emanauals strategies and tactics book and read every single wrong and right answer. However I am only getting around 62-69 % and the 69% is only when I remember the answer. To pass I know I need to be aiming for ATLEAST 75-80% IN PRACTICE EXAMS.

Does anyone have any tips that will help me in the next few days to get that last jump I need for mbes? As I need to also start focusing on issue spotting and memorization for essays in the remaining days ahead as well.

anything will help. I want to give it my all this last time and pray for the best.
Who told you this?

LASTTIMESACHARM

New

Post by LASTTIMESACHARM » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:38 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
LASTTIMESACHARM wrote:So this is my millionth time taking this bar. & also my last attempt. I have become desensitized to it it seems. However this is my last attempt. I have been actively studying for 2 weeks ( I tried working and studying, didn't really pan out like I planned. Girl needs monies to survive) Anyway. My issues for failing aren't that I don't know the law in regards to essays. I have consistently scored passing scores. I usually do okay by just memorizing the last week before the exam. The hardest part for me are mbes. In the past I have done thousands and failed. SO far this time I have taken the time to go deep into the substantive law and really go through the Emanauals strategies and tactics book and read every single wrong and right answer. However I am only getting around 62-69 % and the 69% is only when I remember the answer. To pass I know I need to be aiming for ATLEAST 75-80% IN PRACTICE EXAMS.

Who told you this?

barexamguru website, suggests now that the written is worth 50, as the mbe, in order to be in a safe range to pass we should be aiming for 75-80. I thought that was a crazy high amount but honestly I believe it ( for me at least considering all the factors that go into actual exam day). I score 65% on mbe practice exams before the bar exam both times I took it and still bombed the mbe. Literally BOMBED IT. My scaled mbe score on the last one was 1248 or so. Passing essays and PT didn't help make up for the MBE

xonimi

New

Post by xonimi » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:45 pm

I just did the Barbri refresher to see where I'm at with MBE and it's not looking good. No real improvement from the simulated MBE. According to barbri the goal is to get 56% on the Refresher but I don't really trust their numbers.

Barbri Simulated MBE: 122/200
Barbri Refresher: 62/100

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Is it normal that I’m absolutely messing up on Adabptibar? My score now is around 40%. I’m even getting questions wrong that have an 80% correct answer nation wide scale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barprepforca

New

Post by barprepforca » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 pm

So I also am having concerns about adaptibar... im hovering right at 60% right now but i've been focusing 1/3 of my questions on property and Ks which are my two weakest subjects (admittedly with little but some improvement). How worried should i be and any steps you would take in this week if you were in my shoes?

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Happy88 wrote:Is it normal that I’m absolutely messing up on Adabptibar? My score now is around 40%. I’m even getting questions wrong that have an 80% correct answer nation wide scale.
Adaptibar is pretty good for everything other than Civ Pro, so unless you are being dragged completely under by their badly-constructed Civ Pro questions (and I don't think that could get you to 40%) then you are looking at a pretty good representation of what your knowledge levels currently are.

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 pm

barprepforca wrote:So I also am having concerns about adaptibar... im hovering right at 60% right now but i've been focusing 1/3 of my questions on property and Ks which are my two weakest subjects (admittedly with little but some improvement). How worried should i be and any steps you would take in this week if you were in my shoes?
60% is right within reach! Make sure you are writing down the rule that you didn't know for each and every incorrect question, it really helps with learning, significantly more than just skimming the answers.

Then, at the end of the day, use Adaptibar to get the report of your incorrect questions and scan through them again - would you get them right a second time around? If not, learn that rule!

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:30 pm

10b5 wrote:
Happy88 wrote:Is it normal that I’m absolutely messing up on Adabptibar? My score now is around 40%. I’m even getting questions wrong that have an 80% correct answer nation wide scale.
Adaptibar is pretty good for everything other than Civ Pro, so unless you are being dragged completely under by their badly-constructed Civ Pro questions (and I don't think that could get you to 40%) then you are looking at a pretty good representation of what your knowledge levels currently are.
Their answer explanations are also shit.

Furthermore, I don't know how valuable of a conclusion you can draw from their percentages? People take those questions at different times with different levels of knowledge, so it doesn't accurately assess how well you are doing in comparison to your peers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
10b5 wrote:

Furthermore, I don't know how valuable of a conclusion you can draw from their percentages? People take those questions at different times with different levels of knowledge, so it doesn't accurately assess how well you are doing in comparison to your peers.
I agree. Their explanations is so confusing. Barbri has much better explanation but I completely left out barbri for now as I just want to be familiar with real exam questions.

But I’m within the range of 40-50% at most (not compared with anyone), I was doing well when I first started but now I just keep on messing up and it’s just really discouraging me.

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
10b5 wrote:

Their answer explanations are absolute trash. Nonetheless, if you are getting 40% of their questions correct (excluding Civ Pro) then you are likely to get around 40% on the bar exam if you took it tomorrow. Good thing is, you don't have to take it tomorrow.

ADR

New

Post by ADR » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:46 am

Hey I am posting a link for a property mbes from Kaplan. The prooffessor is on point. It has helped me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vQvE_bkS90g

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:08 am

LASTTIMESACHARM wrote:So this is my millionth time taking this bar. & also my last attempt.

How many times have you taken the exam? My former username here was "6timefailure"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”